A message from Angelo Viola

icecy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I thought we had the right to state why we were there .....if we haven't a right to question authority then we do not have freedom of speech or a free democratic country .

You are learning Bill

Simple...just dont go anywhere that is busy...has a parkinglot...is in a conservation area or recreational park setting..not new news...we been hearing that for weeks..lol.....so if you do...you are just plain dumb and deserve a ticket...there is a partial solution to any travel involved....be prepared with everything you need before you go.....dont stop at timmies....dont stop at the store....and dont stop to gab along the way....stay away from other people in general.....take what you need from home and go.....if you get questioned...tell them you are an alcoholic and need to use the essential services of the beer store...lol

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

just dont go anywhere that is busy...has a parkinglot...is in a conservation area or recreational park setting

This is what I do. pull off the side of the road and fish.  No parking lot, no trail, no launch no one else around.  

3 hours ago, Snags said:

It is all about the tact and attitude.  You give them the riot act as initially said ... expect a ticket.

You know me snaggles......I wouldn't argue with them , just try to reason with them about fishing solo , bothering or. threatening no one ,  "Just mindin ma own bizzneth officer "   :pardon:

In the meantime ....the internet /phone scammers are having a heyday . We get at least 5 calls per day from the scammers .

Well if Mattcrash is correct, there goes my plan of launching my boat at one of those quiet little ramps on the upper Niagara and heading out into the lake for a day of perch fishing.  I would be going by myself but I guess that is still not allowed.

Angelo is off base.  There already is NO fishing because there is literally no where to go.  Break walls are shut, marinas are shut, boat ramps are shut, parks are shut, by-law officers are running around with measuring tapes so you do not stand too close to someone... geeze, Premier Ford where can I fish???

Municipalities have snitch lines and turning neighbors against each other.  There is no where to go around here other than the  Whirlpool and/or Glen and they are packed. Where can you go??? Anyone older, handicapped, etc have no where to go unless they own waterfront property and have a private launch/dock.

Just my 2 cent,  this is like saying to people yes you can go for  a car ride but the roads are closed (and don't drive on the grass).

Yet, in America where they have face mask requirements in New York state is opening their marinas and launches (there were 15-20 boats fishing Niagara bar off Fort Niagara yesterday). Someone explain that to me.

https://abc7ny.com/ny-marinas-coronavirus-new-york-cases-in-news/6114664/

This has become very frustrating I am sure.  I hope Ford decides to loosen a few things (and that when given the chance anglers can use some common seance). As far as reading someone the riot act if you get a ticket as mentioned above, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association is already warning about  possible overreach in some of this circumstances and if the cops need to be embarrassed or taken to task that is one avenue.

Yes we have a problem to deal with but do not give up all of our rights and freedoms.  I do not want to miss salmon season this spring (well the weather has been kind of crappy on the weekends so far this April) but don't play funny with the law.   Before someone complains of jamming up the court system we have one to ensure the authorities do not overstretch their reach. 

Just my Sunday rant..... stay safe guys, and see you on the water...

BTW I will be boycotting Angelo going forward...and all of his sponsors... thank you very much.

My message to Angelo, Learn how to fish where the most of us fish. Not in places where most can't afford and where you don't need anything on you line, and fish jump in your boat, any little kid can catch with a piece of string.

33 minutes ago, Fish Farmer said:

Learn how to fish where the most of us fish

Lots of down to earth info by watching the "You Tube Fishing Show"     :Gonefishing:

.....btw....todays Sun paper .....

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/bylaw-officer-attacked-in-social-distancing-dispute#comments

It has begun ......   many comments both for and against .....last comment I read was ...".need to go fishing"

Seems we are being dictated to, according to what's happening in the concrete jungle called Toronto. Out here we have all kinds of outdoor spaces we can venture. People in fear are usually smart enough to keep their distance. Closing these places is absurd. I can understand small parks and such, but that's it. This exercise of control is totally suppressive, not to mention the ill effects it's causing to many.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more insanity in the near future like the Nova Scotia shootings. People extremely stressed about not being able to work and pay their bills, and then forced to sit in the house and do nothing but think about it! Seems to me it’s a recipe for craziness!

4 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Seems we are being dictated to, according to what's happening in the concrete jungle called Toronto. Out here we have all kinds of outdoor spaces we can venture. People in fear are usually smart enough to keep their distance. Closing these places is absurd. I can understand small parks and such, but that's it. This exercise of control is totally suppressive, not to mention the ill effects it's causing to many.

Exactly what I have been thinking lately . Big cities like T.O. have much larger crowds everywhere . Parks could fill up quickly if people want to get out of their high rise apartments for some exercise . I took a drive today in the Gibson area . The roads were very busy and the big concrete barriers were up at the parks . Mel Swart park seldom has more than 6 to 10 people walking the park . It is about 10 acres !! They have put 2 of those cement highway barriers at the parking lot !  This is overkill and will soon cause (to put it mildly)  ANGER !  Stop treating us like kids !  On the way home I checked out Walmart , LOTS of cars in the lot and a lineup outside . I asked the lady at the door what time they close ...9 pm .She said better to shop about 8 pm . Stay open till 11 pm and spread the volume of shoppers over more hours ! 

BTW ....the fishing gods were NOT shining upon me today !!  I had the whole lake to myself ....

4 hours ago, tombo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more insanity in the near future like the Nova Scotia shootings. People extremely stressed about not being able to work and pay their bills, and then forced to sit in the house and do nothing but think about it! Seems to me it’s a recipe for craziness!

Long line ups at LCBO and Beer Store  can fuel alcoholism (to self medicate) that can lead to other long term issues. 

Have to monitor the potential rise in petty crimes too.

Overkill because people are dense and dont listen...start opening up stuff and the cooped up people from the gta will start flocking here to use the park......I even noticed yesterday in the park behind my place...they now have snow fence wrapped around all the playground equipment...and yet noone in our neighborhood has used anything in that park for weeks...haven't even heard a kid anywhere around there from the back yard....just people walking dogs outside the park

12 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

My message to Angelo, Learn how to fish where the most of us fish. Not in places where most can't afford and where you don't need anything on you line, and fish jump in your boat, any little kid can catch with a piece of string.

With all due respect, Angelo has been fishing since he was a kid. He's paid his dues and knows what he's talking about. He gets to fish for trout on private property because of all the hard work he's done. 

1 minute ago, marktheperchman said:

With all due respect, Angelo has been fishing since he was a kid. He's paid his dues and knows what he's talking about. He gets to fish for trout on private property because of all the hard work he's done. 

Gotta give him some credit for that Mark ..... When "celebs" dive into the political side of their trade , expect some flack . ...just like the T.V./Movie celebs who use their "star" status , like Ophra , Swift , etc. to rake the other party can expect to lose many of their "fans" . We do have a "secret" vote ?  Why put your opinion out there for all to see ? 

On 4/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, smerchly said:

Gotta give him some credit for that Mark ..... When "celebs" dive into the political side of their trade , expect some flack .

Ok, I get it. People want to go fishing, I do too, but what has Angelo's petition have to do with politics. He simply thinks that the seasons should be delayed/closed because otherwise things WILL get chaotic come the opener. You may agree or not, i do agree by the way, but i fail to see anything political about this. If anything he may be concerned because of his age and/or because of so many health care workers and first responders putting their lives at risk FOR US.

icecy perhaps you didn't read his write up where he mentions Ford. He's in power because the majority and probably many fisher folks voted him in and appreciate the relaxed rules on fishing. 

I'm guessing many on this forum are fishing where they can. Myself and friends get out whenever we can, weather permitting.  Banning fishing would be the most ludicrous action taken and I believe if we had a poll here, the majority would vote to fish. We don't need to do that by the by.

6 hours ago, icecy said:

Ok, I get it. People want to go fishing, I do too, but what has Angelo's petition have to do with politics. He simply thinks that the seasons should be delayed/closed because otherwise things WILL get chaotic come the opener. You may agree or not, i do agree by the way, but i fail to see anything political about this. If anything he may be concerned because of his age and/or because of so many health care workers and first responders putting their lives at risk FOR US.

Don't go fishing and stay at home then.  Its YOUR choice. Just don't tell others what to do or not to do. Its not your place unless you were assigned here to do so.

As an individual I have stated my case and prefer not to be one of the sheep ....call me a black sheep and I will not be offended . Viola is a well know fishing celebrity so his opinions are "noticed" by us anglers when broadcasted by media sources . It's the easy way for governments to CONTROL the masses by disregarding individual rights with no ands ,ifs or buts ! 

It's a "question of balance" and common sense . I am more vulnerable at 77 than anyone here .... I keep my "distance" from the "flock"  , wash my hands often , and  I don't live in a cage . Viola agrees with Ford and so do I for "most" part ......

Hopefully we can soon have a "get together" and spend some good time on the water ....3' apart !  :Gonefishing:

Archived