Any updates on boat ramps?

FishingDayz

3 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

One of the funniest things I ever saw at a boat launch was actually myself....and I helped a few other people get a laugh.....back in 2003...bought a brand spanking new boat package fresh from Nichols marine....maiden voyage...family in tote....my mom...siblings ..and my kids all gather for a picnic and take turns ripping around in the new boat.....put it in the water at the sodom rd dock.....pulled it down the dock so a couple other people had room to launch......first bunch hops in...gets comfortable....i go to the back of the boat to release the tilt lock and i step in 3 feet of water and rising!!!!!!......guess who was so excited about the new boat that he forgot to put the plug in?!@@@.... yep me!@!......I grab the plug...throw it in quick and turn on the bilge as I watch my mom's face turn white than the titanic.....haha....and about a dozen people watching as I laughed my way out of it.........its actually a memory that is making me laugh to myself as I type this

Awesome story !!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Awesome story !!

Nice "plug"   Capt...... I came very close to that happening last summer , but one of the camp guys said "Is your plug in?? I  forgot about it in my haste to get out fishing !!  Maybe tie the plug to the trailer crank handle !! 

I was putting my dads boat in for Summer (circa early 2000’s). All was great, boat started beautifully and took it for a rip across the lake and tied it to the dock. My dad looked out the cottage window and said “hey where did you tie the boat up to ?”  I said  “ the dock, silly”. I looked out the window and didn’t see the boat . Ran out to the dock and i wasn’t wrong, the boat was tied to the dock but I forgot to put the plug in!!!! Resting on the bottom was his boat.  🤦🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ooooooooohhhhhhh  ............that's when you were cut from the will ??    :D

😂 lol you woulda thought, smerch. Dragged her onto the beach, dried er out and that ol Johnson never missed a beat. Just a part of my plan to give the ol girl a “deep” clean.  Fetched top dollar on a trade in for being extra clean 😂😂

On 4/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, Mbocco said:

I don’t like the tone of his plan.  He and JT are holding out for a vaccine.  Scary.  

I think that is just a stalling strategy .... I hope they both have inside info from our best medical people . I'm hoping launches will open in about 2 weeks ( with conditions) until we get the green flag .

I believe D & R Ford liked to spend time on the water and do some fishing as well ......So he may know how us fishermen are getting antsy and NEED to get our boat wet !! 

Here's a quick video .....bless dear old Hazel  ....   B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP302UUZSB0

I purchased a new (to me) truck last year.  Hitched the boat and launched in excitement.  Finish fishing and went to grab truck to trailer boat.  

That's when I realized I couldn't see the trailer around the truck.

Years ago when I subscribed to several various boating magazines, there was an article that the editors swore was true. Apparently in California a young woman with no previous experience decided she wanted to take up boating. She did her homework and settled on a small jetboat. Her local marina had one in the water, they took her for a test drive and she decided this was the type for her. She purchased the boat, learned all the operating controls and practiced backing up in a parking lot. The big day arrived and she backed it into the water and away she went. She was back at the marina office in no time saying she was very disappointed in how it handled. The water washed over the bow, was very sluggish and wouldn't plane. The dealer was perplexed and went down to the dock to have a look and saw the boat was still attached to the trailer. She had backed it into the water and unhooked it. No one had thought to mention the art of launching and retrieving. Again, they swear this is true.

19 minutes ago, verado said:

Years ago when I subscribed to several various boating magazines, there was an article that the editors swore was true. Apparently in California a young woman with no previous experience decided she wanted to take up boating. She did her homework and settled on a small jetboat. Her local marina had one in the water, they took her for a test drive and she decided this was the type for her. She purchased the boat, learned all the operating controls and practiced backing up in a parking lot. The big day arrived and she backed it into the water and away she went. She was back at the marina office in no time saying she was very disappointed in how it handled. The water washed over the bow, was very sluggish and wouldn't plane. The dealer was perplexed and went down to the dock to have a look and saw the boat was still attached to the trailer. She had backed it into the water and unhooked it. No one had thought to mention the art of launching and retrieving. Again, they swear this is true.

I’ve heard a story or 2 of that exact same thing. Not sure if this is the story I’m thinking of but I’m almost certain I’ve heard of that happening locally!  Unreal!

I heard one similar. I guy wanted to bring his boat AND trailer to his remote island cabin. He left the trailer attached and drove the whole thing over to his cabin. Now he had the trailer at the cabin for winter pull out.

2 hours ago, Chrisb said:

I heard one similar. I guy wanted to bring his boat AND trailer to his remote island cabin. He left the trailer attached and drove the whole thing over to his cabin. Now he had the trailer at the cabin for winter pull out.

Seems so simple but daring and funny too !  Crazy ideas can be the best some times !!   :bravo:

I don't know if you's aren't leaving the house but I see guys in boats in Lake Ontario. I've been canoeing all over, parking at parks and launching everywhere. I go in the short hills to check my minnow trap. I take my dog in every park.

While everyone's wondering when they're gonna get "permission" to go have fun I've been saying F them since this garbage started and been going about as normal catching jumbo cats.

P1020041.JPG

6 hours ago, Negatory said:

I don't know if you's aren't leaving the house but I see guys in boats in Lake Ontario. I've been canoeing all over, parking at parks and launching everywhere. I go in the short hills to check my minnow trap. I take my dog in every park.

While everyone's wondering when they're gonna get "permission" to go have fun I've been saying F them since this garbage started and been going about as normal catching jumbo cats.

P1020041.JPG

Nice fat cat.  Are you on the grand?

Hog !   Gotta be in the 20's  !     Using those lively chubs from Short Hills ?  I was hoping to get out in my canoe for some of those little piggies . Hope miss piggy gave you some  attitude !   

I think they went "overboard" by closing the ramps and marinas . It's easy to keep a safe distance from others at the ramps as well as when using your boats in the slips .

The weather hasn't been the greatest this spring so boating would have been slow ......Now that the season is upon us ,  I think our ramps will be open very soon .......maybe pick a week day to open them ALL up ....like Fri.May 15 ?     B)

3 hours ago, мормышка said:

Should have seen the line ups at Beer Store on Dieppe Rd this morning

Keeping the booze addicts from going off the deep end is more important than keeping us fishing addicts out of the parks ......and the $$$$  figure into the equation as well .....

Nice to see some stores open today ....need some lumber and plants ..... :) 

.....went to Home Hardware ....about 10 people waiting outside ....I don't do line ups ...went home.

Archived