Another Invasive ?

Well , it's tick season again ....young boy up the street had a tick on him 2 days ago . Mild winter , hope the ticks don't get worse . 

Now there's a new invader , compliments of Asia (again ) .... a huge wasp thing has landed at Washington State ( can't imagine how it got here !!  )

They can kill every honey bee in a colony in an hour (bite their heads off) .  We buy some honey from China ...... might be buying all of it from there in a few years .....

How long before we see these "things"  here in the "banana belt"  ?   Too bad they are not on the menu in Asia ???   ....a few videos on it ...

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4922928

Funny thing, I'm building up my landscaping to attract more bees (beneficial insects). I wonder if the wasp would show up eventually.

Bees have enough going against them as it is. If I had the property I would look into bee hives.

Maybe some birds will take a liking to the larger wasps.

You see the size of them mop, small birds wouldn't have a chance. They are called the ''murder wasp'' However like yesterdays ''killer bees'', probably not too much to worry about.  BUT.....beware of the ''assassin hornet'' following right up behind.  :roflblack::tease:

Our honey bees have been hit with mites and chemicals but were able to survive . My old apple tree would be buzzing with them every spring , they liked those blossoms !  I think those big hornets would quickly be destroyed out west before they migrate here . I got stung through a cheap garden glove last week ...one of those big yellow/black bumble bees that was still in the  dirt while hibernating . It flew away after it got me ! 

Strange you say that Bill about the bumble bees. April sniffed a few out of the lawn which I thought was totally strange. Didn't know the hibernate in the ground.

Yep, there are carpenter bees and there are burrowing bees. There are also yellowjackets that have their colonies in the ground. You got them really stirred up cutting the grass.

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:

April sniffed a few out of the lawn which I thought was totally strange.

May April never get stung by one of those big bumble bees !  My Maggie May will go after anything that moves ....just caught in mid air (and ate) a big fly yesterday !  I always feared she would get stung by the hoards of yellow jackets that would cover a fallen apple from our "ex" apple tree . They will build large nests underground , in your attic or inside walls , etc etc etc.

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

This is satire, so don't 😭

It may be "his" way of satire , but I think a great many people would not appreciate the comparison to C-19 . Both the hornet and C-19 are not fully understood . The world of insects can be cruel,  yet fascinating . They eat other insects and even kill their lovers after a romp in the bushes  (mantis) , and the drone bees after "servicing" the Queen !   I saw a big mantis eating a live grasshopper  , but haven't seen one in years .... Bottom line ....for me ....I don't want these man eating hornets in my back yard !! 

Any insect , bird , animal , reptile that eats ticks is welcome to be here !   🦂

As always  National Geographic leads the way with fantastic photography and new technology  !!

Good to see the honey bees "cook" the crooks !  It was nice to see the bees enjoying my dandelions on my front lawn !  ( I'm not a "green" man )  B)

Archived