wishing i would be wrong.fishing the grand april 4,

mrgadget

i fished the grand alone april 4 for channel cats. fishing was good but i was dissapointed.port maitland ramp had recently closed on the west side.out of 20 boats i seen out there 15 of them had 2 to 3 adults in the boat. yes a few of them could of been living at same address.i said to my wife the rest of the ramps might be closing soon.go figure  !! did you ever wish to be wrong.😢

Those few people fishing from their boat isn't a cause of great concern  , I believe .....

As stated many times , grocery shopping is more dangerous .

Today's paper shows a much greater danger at the Falls .....no comparison to 2 or 3 people in a boat .......

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9919535-niagara-falls-resident-flabbergasted-by-number-of-people-in-tourist-area/

The few people in a boat is a concern.  It's the reason every boat launch in Ontario is closed.  Until we start realizing our fishing will be dictated by politicians and the non fishing public I worry it will not open.

I love channel cat fishing in the grand.  In about 15 minutes I can be loaded up, kayak in water, on the way to my favorite spots!  Hopefully there is access to the water soon!

IMG_20190417_162041.jpg

Depends really on the bite Smerch.  I'm a snoozer so I usually start off anchored, feet up, rod on lap.  If that fails (after my nap) I drift with the wind and bottom bounce.  If I have to, I troll bottom bouncers with a worm harness just fast enough for action.

38 minutes ago, Jeremy778 said:

I'm a snoozer so I usually start off anchored, feet up, rod on lap. 

Ha ! You need to get a carp alarm !!    🎶

Looks like you have all the bases covered Jer !!

Actually , I would be fishing the same way in my canoe , and also trying different baits , like liver , worms , smelt , sucker , or live chub/minnows . 

Good luck out there !    :Gonefishing:

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Yes he is but I heard his boat launch And shore fishing is for members only now. I think this applies for the ice fishing also.

I have a copy of his details from Facebook but I don’t think free Ads helps this site out. If it’s permitted I will post the details and maybe save a drive for people that normally launch from there. Looks like an alternate launch is needed. Maybe the Grand BBQ??

54 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Maybe the Grand BBQ??

It was nice ramp last time I used it many years ago ....don't know how the ramps are now at Port Maitland ....?

We gave our old 5th Wheel trailer to our grand kids & it's  going to be set up this week at the trailer park near there on the Grand... can't use it yet until the "coast is clear"  there is also a ramp there ..

49 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I have a copy of his details from Facebook but I don’t think free Ads helps this site out. If it’s permitted I will post the details and maybe save a drive for people that normally launch from there. Looks like an alternate launch is needed. Maybe the Grand BBQ??

Go ahead and post it. It helps our members atleast. 

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

Smart!

Not really sure if that’s the smartest move. Almost everyone I know pays per use and definitely won’t purchase a membership. Plus in the winter he will lose a huge amount of ice fisherman. I know he had issues with people leaving garbage and the fact that it is an instant source of cash for now. I hope it works out for him. He is a good guy who is always willing to help people catch fish.

Just now, Steve_Guelph said:

Just found out a few minutes ago the The Grand Marina and Cafe is opening this Saturday for the season. A very short drive to the main river from the launch. It’s a nice launch and good parking.

Archived