Trolling motor Battery

Hi Folks

Looking for opinions:

I bought a Minn Kota Endura C2 30 for my yak.

Now I’m doing battery research.   I’m considering a basic deep cycle marine battery (wet) probably 24-27 size.  I’d lean towards a 24 because I don’t really want to carry around a 60lb battery.  Any suggestions?

But I’ve also been considering a 55aH scooter AGM battery.  Lighter but more expensive. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I have the big 27  for my canoe & it's a heavy !!  I've had it for about 7-8 years and keep it in my cold garage all winter and recharge it every month. It's just a cheap Walmart brand . It has pushed my 90 lb.(empty) canoe around local spots without a problem .  Your yak will not need as much energy , so I would consider  the light batteries . ......and that depends on how much time you put on it each trip . I'm sure others here who run yaks and canoes will chime in .

I agree with Smerch, 27s are quite heavy- I have 3 of them in my boat! I think a 24 should be fine and should last you a full day of fishing especially in a kayak.

I’m on my second trio of Interstates. My last trio lasted me 9 years! A little more expensive but I get them at a low cost from a mechanic friend of mine.  

You can sometimes get good deals on an Everstart battery at Walmart or a Nautilus at Canadian tire.  These will be just fine and won’t break the bank. Make sure to take care of it and should last you a while.

I got my boat batteries at pro battery shops on hwy 20 by the allanburg bridge.   They were pretty knowledgeable in pointing me to the best battery for my needs.  Maybe give them a call and see what they recommend.  Pricing was decent as well.

I just picked up two 27 series and a 24 for a cranking battery from Costco. Great price and reviews. When the price comes down on Lithium batteries I would sure be tempted to go that way, just can't justify it now with the price.

The main benefit of an AGM as I see it is that it can handle being placed in odd positions, like on its side, if you had to in you Yak.