Provincial and conservation parks open

Bass-turd

Just now, cplummer said:

Wonder if they tossed trout in at st johns

It would be a waste if they did and didn't open it for anglers . The water gets very warm in the summer and they would likely die . They will not allow shoulder to shoulder crowds this year ...probably not stock it .

2 minutes ago, smerchly said:

It would be a waste if they did and didn't open it for anglers . The water gets very warm in the summer and they would likely die . They will not allow shoulder to shoulder crowds this year ...probably not stock it .

Unless the pond is say 10 feet deep. It is spring fed, so SHOULD be cold in depths. Is this pond shaded?

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

Unless the pond is say 10 feet deep. It is spring fed, so SHOULD be cold in depths. Is this pond shaded?

I didn't know it was spring fed . The water is usually tainted . Is there a run off exit there ? There's lots of trees surrounding the pond which provides some shade near the shore line but mostly sunny .

....just read this in the Standard paper ...... Mr.Culic is an outdoor guy who has written about the out doors many times . Just a little more encouraging news to keep us informed .....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9985291-what-can-i-do-outside-in-niagara-without-getting-in-trouble-/

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I didn't know it was spring fed . The water is usually tainted . Is there a run off exit there ? There's lots of trees surrounding the pond which provides some shade near the shore line but mostly sunny .

12 Mile Creek is spring fed, which is why the upper was able to sustain brook trout...I may be mistaken that the spring feeds St. John's pond. :dunno: So where do the springs feed into? Short Hills?

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:59 AM, мормышка said:

Parking at Bailey Bridge is blocked. Happened last week sometime. 

And no, the pond only seems to have gold fish.

At least I got good use out of it during the lock down, maybe they missed it lol.

45 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Port D is open as of this afternoon.

CDP was closed as of 1:00 pm but that might change tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up about CDP. looking forward to fishing there soon. 

The small pond above the main pond at St johns is spring feed. Pond is one of the feeders for the twelve. Main pond has the culvert overflow into creek but water doesn’t come into the pond like it used to so gets pretty stanky and lots of green stuff to keep u busy when kids r chasing the pannies. Nephew wanted to pay if forward and take my fish off last yr

E18AECE8-A9C2-486B-9675-1F0EC5E15601.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks for the heads up about CDP. looking forward to fishing there soon. 

I will check it out tomorrow again, great carp spot for you guys that like fishing carp.   They did major reno work at CDP last year and during the winter, they got rid off all the bush growing on the beach and did major landscaping.  Look great! Lots of room to fish with all the lake front vegetation gone!

I think part of that system on the 12 is spring fed with the source coming all the way from the tobermory area......on a side note does anyone remember when they used to stock firemans park annually with little trout?

36 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Lots of room to fish with all the lake front vegetation gone!

Wonder if they cleaned out some of the fallen brush & trees in the pond along the lake . With all the brush and trees gone it looks more like it did in the 50's .

3 minutes ago, Snags said:

Is firemans even deep enough for trout to be able to survive more than a few hours?

Many places have changed over the years Snags ...shallower , more algae etc. , much due to run off or less flow . Jordan Harbour is an example of being shallower . It was once a great bass fishery , now more for cats & carp .

I well remember them stocking the pond with small trout at Fireman's park. It was a bit more of a secret than at St. Johns. I never fished there so I can't say firsthand what the results were.

When my buddy and I were teenagers and lived in St. Catharines, we used to bike out to St. Johns to fish all the time. Even back then there were so many signs, No Minnows, no campfires, no picnicing, no cutting trees, no muddying the water, no tents, etc. However, there was not a sign saying no boating so one day we hauled in a small inflateable, pumped it up and went fishing. That day we were the only people there but shortly after a conservation officer showed up and I think there was actually steam coming from his ears. He jumped around and screamed and called us every name in the book. When we politely informed him there was no sign saying we couldn't, he just about blew a gasket and told us there was no sign saying not to hang ourselves either. He didn't stop kicking at the boat until it was out of the park. Unfazed, we hauled the raft over to the sluiceway opposite the old mill in Decew and spent the rest of the afternoon zooming down there.  To be young and stupid again.

Funny story !  That old sluiceway was pretty rough ...thought it would tear up that boat first slide down . We caught pike just above the top of the old sluice.....and lots of bass on U20 flatfish in that nice reservoir behind it .....   B)

That's a great one verado...reminds me when I was a kid a couple of us kids who lived in the falls would ride our bikes out to the hydro reservoir in queenston...then ride the rim all the way around to the dam there....the guys working there would come out and wonder what the heck we where doing...then see us with our fishing gear..shake thier heads then let us fish there...Express how dangerous it was..tell us to be careful....then after a couple hours get tired of popping thier heads out "babysitting "...then kick us out for the rest of the day....we would say thanks....see you guys tomorrow....lol

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

We went in near the floral clock . ...good variety of fish in there then , lots of drum in the canal channels too.

Steelies in that spot to come around November 

On 5/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, marth11 said:

From what I read it is only the amenities that are remaining close, so as long you bring your own chair and use a bush, I don't see any issue but I am not a politician just a guy with an opinion.

Things are looking up Joe .....  more and more places are open . I got some tomato plants at the local nursery today (Kachingggg) $$$ .... then decided to stop at the local bar for a few on the patio ......They have the social distancing down pat !  Grabbed a quick shot ......

tube walkers.jpg

20 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Things are looking up Joe .....  more and more places are open . I got some tomato plants at the local nursery today (Kachingggg) $$$ .... then decided to stop at the local bar for a few on the patio ......They have the social distancing down pat !  Grabbed a quick shot ......

tube walkers.jpg

Those might catch on with Strip Joints, your own personal Stage! You always come up with the best ideas Smerch! Again, another idea to bring onto Dragons Den!

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Those might catch on with Strip Joints, your own personal Stage! You always come up with the best ideas Smerch! Again, another idea to bring onto Dragons Den!

Thanks Surf ,,,,,,,,    it worked well , but was a bugger getting through the washroom door !

2 hours ago, mrgadget said:

i passed by jordan conservation yesterday & the gates were open

Thanks Mrgadget  ,  it was a little sloppy wet near the water but having wet feet is karma for anglers    🦆

Archived