Pike thread, post your pics of local Niagara pike

knightfisher

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Good luck smerch. 

No such luck Ty .....but  I'll be eating pike -ka - bobs very soon !   Here's the "inside"  story .......

I  asked a guy I know well , if he catches any decent pike to give me a shout  .  That guy called me from his secret pike spot & said he had a nice juicy pike that swallowed the treble ( oos)  ...out of sight ! So I said , "bring it over" . It was nice of "Mr Knightfisher"  alias Pike Hunter  to deliver right to my house !  

I "was" going to get a picture of it before performing the 5 fillet autopsy but my neighbour  wanted to see how to clean a pike ....soooo , I  got a shot of the autopsy .  Here is the report .....

She was 29 inches long , about 4lbs 6 oz.... and had  5 minnows for her last meal , one about 3" long . She looks healthy all around and will be very tasty as a kabob pike !  Thanks Dan !  

Not for those with weak stomachs or peeta members to see .....

...note the minnows at the bottom .......

Dan's pike 22-03-2021.jpg

Funny how pike are so strong smelling when they are being cleaned , yet no fishy taste at all after cooked . 

They are so tasty when kabobed (new word) .... Here is supper today    pike ,  with zucchini , red pepper , mushroom , onion . cherry tomatoes  & bacon .  ...add a little salt & pepper , and some suds .....   :wub:

Still have over half the pike fillets for another day ....

Pike Kabobs.jpg

35 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

That looks amazing.  I’d add a cold beer. 

Never heard of "Suds"   ?    My suds was a bottle of Richard's Red ......    :D

7 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Must of misplaced my invite......humm 🤔

If I  can catch you at home I'll bring you a kabob  . I have one left and if you can give me a time for delivery (free) , I'll  be happy to  fill your invitation .....pm me Dan .

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch one day you’ll have to show me how to five fillet a pike.  We’ll have to catch one first.  Dinner looks delicious. 

There is also a filleting method to clean pike , (You Tube) and carefully removing the strip of "Y" bones  ,

I prefer the five fillet method as I like that thick strip of boneless  meat  above the back bone for kabobs .....each piece cut about 1" x 1" ....then the 2 "fillets" from the anal to the tail for the bob's . The sides can also be used but I fold each piece in half to get more thickness ....can also just fry them up like any other fillet .

.....bottom left chunk of pike next to the zuccini  is from the back of the pike and I like to have a piece of bacon beside the pike for flavour .....(before cooking)

pike bob's on grill.PNG

On 3/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, Snags said:

I think there is a hint at something Knightfisher

We used to call them hammer handles ,  now called snot rockets & toothy ones . 

Gota love them no matter the size. I never take a hooked pike for granted. The adrenaline
flows till the fish is in the net. Most pike put up some type of fight trying to throw the lure.
It can get quite exhilarating when the pike breaks water and they seem to have an art to
throw the hook.
I once caught a pike on a spinner bait, but my line broke before I could net him. About two
minutes later that pike was breaking water, about a foot up trying to throw the spinner.
On his third attempt the pike threw it out. I could not believe what I was seeing.
Anyways, I enjoy the hunt and the fight when lucky enough to hook into one, Also most hook ups
guaranty a fish over two feet long, not too shabby.

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:

till the fish is in the net

Forget the net and you have a real challenge !  I have donated some blood from those razor sharp mandibles . Always have a "good" pair of long nose pliers handy .  

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:
On his third attempt the pike threw it out. I could not believe what I was seeing.

The upper part of their mouth is all bone and teeth and very little little meat on the lower jaw . , thus they have an advantage of throwing the hook(lures) when there's no tension on the line .  When the eye bite is off at Quinte , we toss lures in the back bays and have a blast catching pike !   

Well ,it's 10 o'clock and it's only 30*F out there ....been looking at some older fishing pictures  and  thought I'd post a couple of "pike related" shots from the past ......since  we can't fish for pike this month as season is closed for spawning ......

first pic. is my largest  , caught in knightfisher's canoe at Jordan......(worm harness) 

second shot is my  last decent pike caught at our trailer park from shore , ( 5" Husky Jerk) 

" Memories"    B).....lost my touch ....:(

Jordan pike.jpg

Quinte pike.PNG

• 3 months later...

Well it was a long time coming and way too many hours spent but landed two pike today ... the second one came in at 32".  Both hit the same Snags created lure ... fished a total of about 10 minutes so I will take the two fish.

No pics to be shared, not about to give the spot away since many of you drive by it daily and rarely is anyone fishing it.

• 2 months later...

Joe and I decided to give the Welland River a try not to far from the aqueduct and caught this nice pike.

Came in at 29 inches and about 4lbs. Strange at times what these toothy critters will chow down on.DSCN4288.JPG