Carpin

DNorton

Been Mia for awhile, decided to go back to night school to get my gas ticket and that meant hanging up the rod and reel for close to 7 months. Been a rough go with working full time and doing classes at night along with all life’s other things that seem to get in the way of my hobbies. I did however get out on Monday of the long weekend in the morning and got a little wet but was nice to get out. Fished the reservoir in NOTL for close to 3 hours with only 1 little catfish to keep the stripes away. Walked up and down the creek a bit saw a bunch of carp nothing taking and spooking easily but was nice to get out. Trying to get out more now that I’ve free’d up some time. Hope for better reports soon. I’ve been cruising the forums but I didn’t have much to say as I was a little jealous and grumpy I couldn’t fish. Looking forward to more time on the water.  

You have been a busy man and haven't really missed out on much with the lousy weather this spring  . The covid really put a damper on the fishing for many here . My dad had his gas and oil card ....on 24 hr. call in T.O. years ago ....busy trade !

Spring has sprung ....hope you get some time in on the water .

BIA again......     :Gonefishing:

Today was one to remember !!  Took a drive down the north service rd . to check out spots . The bugs are still there in the billions . Checked out CDP ...is open and saw the berm was destroyed ....after working on it all winter with heavy equipment ...sad to see all those trees downed !  Water was muddy , and coated with a layer of midges , and the bait fish were jumping by the thousands gorging on them !  They can easily enter from the lake where the berms were flooding over .... some large fish jumping while gorging  on the bait fish .

Now the fishing "escapade" for today .  It was a carp day ....first off using can corn on the hook .....nothing but many line bumps from those bait fish .   Went to a hair rig ,smaller hook with corn ....rod set up with alarm ready . Then , my line went slack and I started to reel in , but it felt like my line was cut ?? Then, when the line tightened up I thought I hooked a beaver or something as the thing ran to shore under some branches and brush  and line was peeling off fast .I tried to dislodge it but could not get free of the brush ...while the carp sat still ....until I gave it a tug and it took off further down the bank . I put the 12' rod out as far into the water , on bottom to get the fish to head out ...and it did ...but still hung up on the shore brush roots . After 15 minutes of this I pulled hard , fish was free but still a power house ....and it was only a smaller carp just under 10 lbs . !!.... and all the corn was still on the hair !!......with 2 sunfish pals in the net with it !

90 minutes later .....same set up , can corn on the hair ....lots of "bumps" , tons of minnows and thick layer of dead midges ....then a good tug , line peeling out slowly .....picked up the rod and a fish was on !  This one bent my rod to the breaking point , peeling out 50 yds in seconds . I tightened up the drag to try to turn it around but couldn't even slow it down !  THEN ....the line hooked under a rock or branch and I couldn't dislodge it . The "fish" stopped , until I gave the line a tug ,and away it went again . This went on for another 10 minutes . This fish had some weight and muscle and attitude . I finally tightened the drag , held the line tight and tried to break it off ,  which it did ....broke at the hook . That was the hardest fighting carp I have had to battle since my 30# at Jordan about 6-7 years ago !  Wish I could have got a look at it ... checked the line , wasn't frayed , must have been a branch ..

As I walked back to my van , the bugs were thick !!  ..getting into my eyes, ears , nose and my brown hat looked black ....freaking unreal !!  I have never seen them that bad in all my 77 years !  I think the minnows will be fat and the larger fish will gorge on the minnows , like the mayfly thing in the north .  I was a day to remember !!

A few shots of the day ....see the sunfish in the net with  carp ...corn still intact on the hair .....notice the bugs in the swan shot...and the bug shot near shore....

another shot of the berm at CDP ....doesn't look good .....

When I click on a picture it doubles in size , better quality too ??

cdp carp.jpg

swan,bugs.jpg

bugs.jpg

CDP berm.jpg

Sounds like an awesome day smerch. I took some time off next week, I have to work only 2 days thats unheard of for me so I’ll be on the bank lots. Looking forward to some full day sessions. 

I tried cdp last night for two hours. OMG the bugs were so bad. I stepped on the grass and was instantly covered. Made my way to the beach/lake side and it was a bit better. I’ll be back after the hatch is over. The clouds of bugs looked like smoke on the north service road.  

8681C7E5-9512-446F-91E5-4774B9A57DD6.jpeg

17EBB991-8777-4739-90EA-0BE70C154954.jpeg

Ahhh...you got a "taste" of those bugs eh Tyler ?  They are thick in the grass and follow you like a doomsday cloud around you head ! If they sink eventually , the carp may suck them up like a vacuum cleaner .....not sure if they would bother but .....like you said I'm giving it a rest until those clouds are gone !  A little breeze from the lake keeps them shore bound so maybe a "lake side" fish is in order .    :Gonefishing:

Thinking of trying the Welland canal today for carp anyone ever fished the canal for carp ? I would be on off the haulage road in notl near lakeshore. Just wanting to stay close to home but also try some new spots see what happens. Any info is greatly appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I tried cdp last night for two hours. OMG the bugs were so bad. I stepped on the grass and was instantly covered. Made my way to the beach/lake side and it was a bit better. I’ll be back after the hatch is over. The clouds of bugs looked like smoke on the north service road.  

8681C7E5-9512-446F-91E5-4774B9A57DD6.jpeg

Those clouds of  bugs have been here about 2 weeks Tyler , about time they died off .We finally get to fish the parks and the those flies drive us out . ....If it isn't too cold , it's too hot to fish ....92*F here today . We just stop using the furnace and turned the air on today !  what happened to spring ?? When the bugs are gone I'm sure the fishing will be better !

17 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Any luck?

no. Was ridiculously packed. Fished a newer to me area no bites. Was on call so had to pack up about an hour and a half in for a service call. Not sure what’s worse. Forgetting my pack bait, spilling my corn on the bank or finally getting situated and have to pickup to leave to go to work. Was not a good night by any means. Just means there’s better nights ahead I hope ? 

2 hours ago, DNorton said:

Forgetting my pack bait, spilling my corn on the bank or finally getting situated and have to pickup to leave to go to work.

The perils of old age creeping up on ya Nort ??  I'm always forgetting something ...the  net , the alarm , the rod spike , fishing pole .... 

!!   Now I have a list  I can keep a copy in the house and van . ....one for carp , one for pike .........

I was a good boy today ....did the honey do thing , cut grass , weed whack , water plants , repair hose , rake lawn .....  For my reward ....just had a nice bowl of fresh rhubarb /strawberry/ yogurt over a thick slice of banana / pecan bread ...... 2DY4  !!!   😛

13 hours ago, DNorton said:

no. Was ridiculously packed. Fished a newer to me area no bites. Was on call so had to pack up about an hour and a half in for a service call. Not sure what’s worse. Forgetting my pack bait, spilling my corn on the bank or finally getting situated and have to pickup to leave to go to work. Was not a good night by any means. Just means there’s better nights ahead I hope ? 

I went for a 2 hour drive with the family, never seen DeCaw falls parking lot so full! Cars on both side of the roads all the way to short hills! Same with Gibson lake area and Beaver Road. 

Ten cars parked in front of St. Johns barrier along side the road (park is closed).  The municipalities should of opened all boat launches - parks at the same time to spread the crowds.  Port D launch is a zoo every day, MNR and the city out in full force on Saturday giving tickets for illegal parking. 

Archived