How were the flies/bugs today?

FishingDayz

1 hour ago, cutthroat dan said:

I was at Charles Daily today and the heat seems to have really gotten rid of most of the lake flies ,midges
ts.

I was hoping the 99*F. today would kill off those pests !  Good thing they are not blackflies , ticks or mosquitos !!  It will cool down after tomorrow  , hope the fish will be sick of them and they will eat "normal" foods again , like crank baits , worms , corn .....  

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

I was hoping the 99*F. today would kill off those pests !  Good thing they are not blackflies , ticks or mosquitos !!  It will cool down after tomorrow  , hope the fish will be sick of them and they will eat "normal" foods again , like crank baits , worms , corn .....  

Now I would think in fly fishing you would not "match the hatch" (because of how many of these there are) but throw something similar but different to stand out. Then I hear trout can be very selective and only take what is active. I guess that's why there are so many flies to choose from.

11 hours ago, Mbocco said:

There was nothing on my car today for the first time in weeks.  Those things LOVE white vehicles. 

My  brown / teal green van  was covered with them .  They prefer the cooler lake side air , cool grass , and white vehicles since they are cooler than black ones.  It's already 82*F.at 9 am !!  Another scorcher that our bodies are not ready for .....

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

My  brown / teal green van  was covered with them .  They prefer the cooler lake side air , cool grass , and white vehicles since they are cooler than black ones.  It's already 82*F.at 9 am !!  Another scorcher that our bodies are not ready for .....

I was bread for this weather!  I wish I lived in Florida

2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I was bread for this weather!  I wish I lived in Florida

When I was younger the hot temperatures didn't bother me . As I age the hot sun burns my skin quickly ....had a touch with skin cancer on the nose , so I wear broad rimmed hats , long sleeve light coloured shirts ,apply sun block and try to find shade spots when fishing . I did one week at Ft.Lauderdale in March 1982 and was glad to be back home for some "fresh" air .

Good news for you Mbocco ......well below norm temps on the way .....  :coldsmiley:

• 11 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, mrgadget said:

On Wednesday the bugs were bad ,also had those flies that bite in the mix.

FF7C81C7-8501-4892-BF45-77DD53D896D7.jpeg

F12A3B41-7F59-4571-9A5B-326318D4ABD5.jpeg

I have a fine head net to help keep them out of my ears ,eyes, nose & throat ....doctors recommendation...

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this today....we don't have the ticks as bad as other areas west of us .  And we also have the worst year for pollen apparently .,,,maybe safer to "stay home" ..

https://weather.com/health/video/warm-wet-weather-making-much-of-the-country-a-tick-time-bomb

I think you're right about the pollen. I can wash my vehicles and 3 hours later they are covered in a fine yellow dust. I would park them in the garage but between my toys and the grandchildren's toys, there is no longer any room.  As for the bugs, I have reached the stage where I want to be comfortable when fishing. No heavy waves, freezing temperatures or dressing like a ninja to keep the bugs off me. I'll wait for a better day thank you.

If you have pine trees nearby , they put out a lot of yellow dust . There's 4 large pines 3 doors from us . I saw a guy riding a lawnmower bump into  the pine tree and a huge cloud of pollen came from the tree . This rain is a good thing ....

1 hour ago, verado said:

I have reached the stage where I want to be comfortable when fishing.

Wise men say ......  I'm with you on that verado !   Our skin is thinner now ,  over 80F is too hot , under 70F too cold .

Today's temp .here reads 41F  (now).......  fffffffreezingggg !!  :coldsmiley:

Some cool nights ahead ....hope my little veggie plants survive  . Might also shut the good bite off for a while . It will be nice to put my ice fishing suit on again .....   :santa: