Jump to content


How were the flies/bugs today?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cutthroat dan said:

I was at Charles Daily today and the heat seems to have really gotten rid of most of the lake flies ,midges
ts.

I was hoping the 99*F. today would kill off those pests !  Good thing they are not blackflies , ticks or mosquitos !!  It will cool down after tomorrow  , hope the fish will be sick of them and they will eat "normal" foods again , like crank baits , worms , corn .....  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smerchly said:

I was hoping the 99*F. today would kill off those pests !  Good thing they are not blackflies , ticks or mosquitos !!  It will cool down after tomorrow  , hope the fish will be sick of them and they will eat "normal" foods again , like crank baits , worms , corn .....  

 

Now I would think in fly fishing you would not "match the hatch" (because of how many of these there are) but throw something similar but different to stand out. Then I hear trout can be very selective and only take what is active. I guess that's why there are so many flies to choose from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mbocco said:

There was nothing on my car today for the first time in weeks.  Those things LOVE white vehicles. 

My  brown / teal green van  was covered with them .  They prefer the cooler lake side air , cool grass , and white vehicles since they are cooler than black ones.  It's already 82*F.at 9 am !!  Another scorcher that our bodies are not ready for .....

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, smerchly said:

My  brown / teal green van  was covered with them .  They prefer the cooler lake side air , cool grass , and white vehicles since they are cooler than black ones.  It's already 82*F.at 9 am !!  Another scorcher that our bodies are not ready for .....

I was bread for this weather!  I wish I lived in Florida

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I was bread for this weather!  I wish I lived in Florida

When I was younger the hot temperatures didn't bother me . As I age the hot sun burns my skin quickly ....had a touch with skin cancer on the nose , so I wear broad rimmed hats , long sleeve light coloured shirts ,apply sun block and try to find shade spots when fishing . I did one week at Ft.Lauderdale in March 1982 and was glad to be back home for some "fresh" air .

  Good news for you Mbocco ......well below norm temps on the way .....  :coldsmiley:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, mrgadget said:

On Wednesday the bugs were bad ,also had those flies that bite in the mix.

FF7C81C7-8501-4892-BF45-77DD53D896D7.jpeg

F12A3B41-7F59-4571-9A5B-326318D4ABD5.jpeg

I have a fine head net to help keep them out of my ears ,eyes, nose & throat ....doctors recommendation...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...