Jordan harbour

trouttamer

just moved to grimsby, wondering if any1 knows any access points to fish jordan harbour. All i found so far was jordan harbour conservation area, any other carpy spots near me. I used to post here, but was away from online for a while just getting back into the forums. thanks guys,Darrin.

Some park and walk down the rail track to fish under train bridge. Don't think its a good idea for parking at the crossing and its a bit of a walk. Its a do so at YOUR own risk scenario. Lots of private land around Jordan Harbour, so it is tough to fish where you want on shore for carp.

As teens we accessed the train bridge by walking the track from St.Catharines ....couldn't get lost .... 

Also fished behind the cemetery  ,  and later parked our car near the trestle on a dead end street . It may be a chore to find parking close to that area now .   Best bet is to canoe /yak in from the conservation park  (free)

Les carp du jour ......

33 POUNDS  !!!   Yep , caught 33 pounds of carp today ...15# ...10# ...8#  !!   Being Saturday I had a few spots in mind and the lake front was busy .  Coviditis phobia changed my plans so I ended up at plan R    ...Rennie Park (had a baby blanket to deliver there) .

So I wanted to try a new smercho rig that would ring their chimes ....a modified bolt rig .  ( 1.5 oz egg sinker ....and 4" above , 2 large split shots to allow a carp to pick up the maize on the hair , move 4" of line to the double split shot and set the hook ....which worked like a charm !!  All 3 carp hit hard and smoked my alarm !  Actually , no need for the alarm , the rod could be placed high in the air with a bolt rig as they hook themselves !   All three gave out a good run and hard head shakes .

As a bonus .....while sitting in my chair about 6 birds flew close by chasing  a small hawk or falcon which had a mouse in it's claws .....Then a snake appeared beside my rod , in the water and stayed for 5 minutes ...always something to see when fishing !

As I headed out after 2 hours  ( not 12 hours Fish Farmer !! ) , I met 2 elderly gents fishing the bay with all the carp gear ....had a nice chat and lots of laughs . One fellow said , "when you hear that alarm go off for the first time , YOU ARE HOOKED FOR LIFE"   LOL !

Checked out CDP ....lots of water going over the berm ......  not good !

Just took one shot of the first carp ...10 lbs .....tough scrapper !   Not sure what the snake is .... but friendly ....

Rennie carp 31-05-2020.jpg

snake.jpg

1 hour ago, DNorton said:

Looks like your having some luck Smerch! I’m sitting on the bank at gibby right now freezing with nothing doing. Lol. 

Thanks guys....a gorgeous day , sunshine , low NW winds , no bugs there ,but they are still at CDP .

Gibby has been slow for me the past 2 years . ...hoping Moody will produce some action later this year .

Reminder .....keep an eye out for the ticks !  Keep some spray Deet handy .    So far I have avoided them .

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

congrats on the 33lber smerch...   :nea: sounds like you had a great day. hopefully ill be out some evenings this week.

:)

There would be a picture  of a 33 #  with me hugging it ........( no kissy )

Smerch, you don't have to fudge the numbers anymore.  You already have your 30lber!' 

Congratulations on all the fish, Pal, no doubt a result of the "Modified Smercho" rig.  

Water Snake.jpg

I can't tell from your pic of the water snake, but did it have markings like this?  I see them in the harbour here a lot and I believe it's a Northern Water Snake.  I watched one once with a little sculpin in its mouth and it kept turning it until it could swallow it head first.  And you're right, always something cool to see while fishing.

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

I can't tell from your pic of the water snake, but did it have markings like this? 

Hard to tell Mike , the water was a little murky from the last rain .  I think it was the Northern Water Snake like those at our trailer park at Deseronto . Some will crawl up the boat transom and board your boat . Our next door neighbour there saw a snake in his boat just after he got in it .....broke his ankle while escaping at high velocity  ! 

A close up of it's head .......seems to be the same one Mike .....

http://canadianherpetology.ca/species/species_page.html?cname=Northern Watersnake

ssssssnake.jpg

Archived