Carp on a fly rod

smerchly

May be a silly question ,  but would it be called "fly rod fishing" if one was to use a fly rod with a piece or two of corn on a hook ...no weight , just corn or a piece of rubber floating corn with a small split shot to take it to bottom  ??  I  helped land a big carp , about 20 lbs .for one of our  young members about 5 years ago at Jordan . He battled the carp for 15 minutes and did a great job controlling it ....using can corn with a lime green piece of rubber corn .  It must be a blast to use the fly rod for those tanks ! 

No answer to your question. But if I'm thinking right, when we got into those many  carp a few years back, there was a young chap using a fly rod and landing carp on a piece or two of corn.

18 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

No answer to your question. But if I'm thinking right, when we got into those many  carp a few years back, there was a young chap using a fly rod and landing carp on a piece or two of corn.

I think it was this young chap .......

On 9/12/2011 at 9:48 PM, The Ketchican Kid said:

Smerch, i just realized you have over 10 thousand posts!!!!! Wow!~~!!!!

Call me Mr. Yapalot Ketch ! I have been retired for almost 20 years ....lots of pute time when I'm not fishing ! Thanks for the opportunity to add another post .........

:th_fudd:......:blahblah1:.............. I'll try to tame it down a tad ...........:)

I guess it’s no different then guys fishing a row bag on a fly rod.  Here’s some fly Carpin action from a guy I watch on you tube  he’s from Kingston   Lots of good info on his channel  

I saw a guy using a 15'  fly rod and reel today , fishing for carp . He hooked into one for about 30 seconds and it slipped off ....that long rod really had a good bend to it  !!  Lots of bait fish jumping , and the lines we kept busy with many small bumps , either from the bait fish or small cats .  Carp were either spawning  or  not  looking to eat .  Water viz.....about 1"

The lake was busy with boats today ....CDP  parking lot was very busy , looked like the kids play area was open ....no barriers bur no kids either lol !  I assume the c19 is over as tens of thousands of people gathered together to do their protest  thingy  ( rob & burn) . ...hoping to see everything open up by Monday ??

Think I'll raid Rennie  tomorrow .....had some luck last trip .(lots of corn left from today !

I gave  it a go for 3 hrs.+ ....water was  murky ,  yaks all over the place , some were fishing ...rowers out practicing , tons of people on the pathway , busy as a summer weekend !

Bite was slow , lost the first fish , had a few good "bumps" and managed to net 2 carp ....largest was 12 lbs 14 oz (below). ...a few good runs but it quickly ran out of steam .....fell for my deluxe bolt/hair rig .... The elderly gents were there again with their bivy umbrella and said several carp were breaking water , and said a guy down the bank a way got a mirror carp there .

All in all another great day on the water .

rennie CARP.jpg

Guess I missed you smerch! I went out tonight after dinner for a few hours with my oldest boy, we checked gibby and marlatts all of our regular spots were packed, so I took a page outta your book and hit rennie. First cast with a big ball of worms he gets a nice little cat, figured if that was the way the night was going to go it was going to be a good night. I setup my gear and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally! A nice long screamer! I couldn’t believe it! I was starting to second guess myself up until that point. Fought the fish for a good 10 minutes just peeling line off kept trying to make a run for the downed log to my left. Finally got it under control and my boy with the net in hand I get a little excited trying to tell him how to get the net on it and don’t I pull the hook! Son of a gun! I was mad. My boy then apologizes for not getting the net on it. Then I felt terrible. Total

rookie move on my part getting to excited. We had a good laugh after the fact about it all but man oh man that would have been a personal best. Every bit of 20lbs or more. What a brute! From then on my eyes were peeled watching them crash the surface and bubbles around me but nothing else doing this night. We decided to pack it in about 945. As much as I would have loved that fish the laugh me and my boy had and the story we got outta it is probably better then the actual fish. Anyways long story short we went 1 for 2 using pack bait and corn. He was using worms. Great night out and thanks for the tip on rennie :) 

heres the little cat the boy got, first cast first fish kept the stripes away. 

6D983691-497D-47D2-B2DC-7F7BED92CDAD.jpeg

maize soaking.jpgI'm so happy to see you and your boy had some ACTION !!  My largest carp was hooked by a thin piece of its lip , I was amazed I didn't lose it ...not easy landing it solo while  stepping on those rocks !  I'm hoping the bite will improve as the water clears up .

Need to get your son to battle one of those girls Norton !   B)

I think those "bumps" I had were cats nibbling at my maize which I have soaking on my hot asphalt driveway .....have a can of crushed pineapple to add after I drain off most of the juice .

...here it is after 12 hrs.in my driveway  ...could fry an egg on it !!  ) By 7:30 ,after 18 hrs in the pot , I'll light up the Coleman heater , bring it to a boil ,stirring every 15 minutes , then let it cool off slowly for a few hrs.....drain most of the juice , add a can of crushed pineapple , bag & freeze in 2 lb lots .....

Got 21 lbs of maize  with 1 lb.of crushed pineapple added .  ...all in zip lock bags , 2 lbs each and double bagged . So , my 55 lb bag of corn gives me 110 lbs of maize ....not bad for 10 bucks ! 

How do you guys keep your maize for long term storage  ??

...couple more shots ....expanding maize....

....pineapple beer .....   B)  Cheers

Pineapple Beer.jpg

expanding corn.jpg

Yummy looking corn there smercho  !  

Well , I gave it a test run today ......lost my first one in 3 seconds ....gone !   Wind was fierce , blew my Tilly off , so decided to reel in and try a spot with "some" protection from the wind ...and old spot where I had some luck before . As I pulled my line out I saw that I missed a bite .....  this huge fella speared itself while trying to rob my corn !! lol

After a few bumps I managed to entice 2 carp which gave their approval to my fresh pineapple maize (on the hair) ...one about 12 lbs and one 10 lbs . (which looked beat up a tad and didn't have no where near the zip of the larger one . ( corn-ovirus ) ?....spawned out hen ?

Good day on the water front again .    :Gonefishing:

Renngobi.jpg

Rennie carp 11-06-2020.jpg

Rennie carp 2.jpg

I keep my maize in a bucket and as long as there’s water over top it will stay good for weeks. (Well at least two that I know of)

if there’s sugar in it it will turn quicker. 
I finished my bucket my last outing so I’ll be soaking some tonight. 

nice carp smercho.  I can’t wait to get out again. 

26 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

keep my maize in a bucket and as long as there’s water over top it will stay good for weeks. (Well at least two that I know of)

I thought it would keep expanding , splitting and get too mushy if kept in water .....

Right after it cools off , I use zip bags , rolled tightly and use a straw to extract the air out , then directly in the freezer in a larger bag . I'll probably be using this batch next year at this time ...... I only used a cupful or so to chum today , fishing close to shore and tossed it out with my handy Dollar store "modified "  spoon .  No one else fishing there today . (chickens)

....oh yes , gotta keep an eye out before you chum .....  B)

Geeses.jpg

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I thought it would keep expanding , splitting and get too mushy if kept in water .....

Right after it cools off , I use zip bags , rolled tightly and use a straw to extract the air out , then directly in the freezer in a larger bag . I'll probably be using this batch next year at this time ...... I only used a cupful or so to chum today , fishing close to shore and tossed it out with my handy Dollar store "modified "  spoon .  No one else fishing there today . (chickens)

I watched a video would uncooked maize expand in a carps stomach. Seems like it only expands when heated.
my maize was sitting in a bucket in the back of my truck for two weeks maybe longer (some days +30) and it never got any softer. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I watched a video would uncooked maize expand in a carps stomach. Seems like it only expands when heated.
my maize was sitting in a bucket in the back of my truck for two weeks maybe longer (some days +30) and it never got any softer. 

Hmmmmmm.....funny it can expand in the carps cold stomach Ty ......My asphalt driveway gets so hot it burns my bare feet , prob.could fry an egg on it !  After 18 hrs. the corn got a head start in the warm water and softened a bit ....maybe a waste of time , I'll try a direct boil next time . I do it outside to keep the heat out of the house .My 55 lb. bag of corn is now 3 years old and still expands nicely ...but I do find some pieces will split when I push the needle through it . Send me a pm next time you come east ...

....about those "bumps"  it seems the gobies like the corn as well ....some are large enough to produce a "bump" !!  One piece of my maize was chewed up a bit . ....either gobies or cats  pecking at it .

I always soak my maize before boiling it but it’s doesn’t really seem to get any softer. I’ll have to experiment and see what the difference in boil time would be. 
 Tomorrow looks like a Detroit river mission.  Might not get around to carping this weekend. Next week is looking nice....

Got out for 3 solid hours tonight only one little carp to show for the efforts. A mere 8lbs.. fought pretty good but was no match for the steam side carp rod. Made some friends tonight though. 4 mice, and a bunch of little baby ducks kept me company with the odd person walking by to stop and chat for a minute. Successful night out I guess 

49F99E4E-CED7-4DC9-B672-558712D8B9D5.jpeg

C481C616-1DB8-43B1-AF2D-2FB43BD8E05E.jpeg

WTG  Drew !!   Most of those "juvenile" carp are very feisty !  Some have larger tail fins and seem to have more horse power !  I have had most luck there by tossing out just passed the weed beds at the bottom of the slope .

Nice to see you had some "little" company friends ......    :Gonefishing:

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

WTG  Drew !!   Most of those "juvenile" carp are very feisty !  Some have larger tail fins and seem to have more horse power !  I have had most luck there by tossing out just passed the weed beds at the bottom of the slope .

Nice to see you had some "little" company friends ......    :Gonefishing:

This one had a massive tail on it. I thought it was a lot bigger until I got it on the bank. That’s ok though. He went back to grow into his tail! Would love to meet up sometime with some nfn carpers! Would be a great time I’m sure rather then me having conversations with the ducks. Lol

Archived