3 RescuesSo Far This Week

smerchly

Looks like people are leaving their "coops" by the droves to hit the water ways , parks , and fishing holes .  Lots of rescues going on (  Niagara Gorge , Decew Gorge  )  ...car in canal last night ....

The article said people are wearing sandals to descend the steep rocky walls of the Decew gorge ....and they should "stay on the trails and keep the "distance thing rule" . The parking lot was jammed and many cars parked along the road  (dangerous situation )

The cliff climbing warriors will ignore the warnings as long as it legal to go down the cliff .  They "may" stop it after someone is killed ......

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/10016990-firefighters-respond-to-three-decew-rescues-in-less-than-a-week/

Weekends aren't for fishing to me any more. Have to go during week for having spots to myself. You know, "social distancing" (:rolleyes:). This past weekend was very busy. even compared to last year. Maybe more people not working, so why not go do something (which is good).

My one crappie spot I fished this monring isn't a usual busy spot, but judging by garbage and fishing line left behind, they weren't fishing for crappie.

Down the gorge today there is a search going on....the signs say stay on the path for a reason.....those rocks can get pretty slick....improper footwear makes for a good trip hazard..  ..its not worth the selfie that's for sure. .I grew up fishing the Niagara gorge pretty much all over....you gotta respect the force of the river on it's best day

Those medical choppers are flying over our house constantly , being only 1 km from the hospital ....People take millions of pictures/vids. these days since the handy dandy "me" phones have become part of the body .....

I was speaking to a guy at work about the car that went into the canal and apparently he was higher then a kite. More drugs found in that car than they’ve seen. Sad really. He went through the guardrail down the embankment and launched into the water. His girlfriend was able to get out and swim to shore but is in critical condition. Really sad. 

The canal and Niagara River have taken many lives over the years .....many suicides .

Drugs are the curse today and it may get worse as many  won't be returning to their jobs  .

Let's hope things will get better ......

Another rescue at Decew Falls ...fire  truck couldn't access the parking lot as vehicles clogged Decew Rd. & Cataract Rd .....

Two more at the river in the last 48 hrs.....teen missing.....fireman swept away but rescued by chopper . 

People putting other lives at risk for their thrills . ....  and nothing done about it .....

The citiots are bored after being confined for so long. So they are now getting reckless and careless doing things for which they are inexperienced or lacking in skill sets

Another at the river today ....girl lucky to be alive .   There will be more......    :dunno:

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/10023315-more-than-500-people-visit-decew-falls-despite-pandemic-blocking-emergency-vehicles-responding-to-rescue/

No parking signs on that part of Decew Rd might help .  Two grand per rescue .....  idiots wearing flip flop sandals ....  build a stairway ???  First one to fall on the  $$$tairs .... big lawsuit ! 

Hope they fence it and shut it down . 

Well ,   they have closed Morningstar Mill.....too many people disregarding the signs and parking vehicles all over the place ....

People screw themselves  out of their own enjoyment ....like the garbage crew who think they have a right to dump their trash anywhere they please ...... 

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/10037089-morningstar-mill-site-shut-down-due-to-crowds-rescues-and-illegal-parking/

A friend drove past there today , saw a bunch of guys arguing with the guards ...... In Toronto , their covid is at stage 1  , so many are traveling here (stage 2)  . These are "some" of the people who caused it to shut down ....wise move ! !

This quote says it all ......

"There's people coming from everywhere and they don't understand that it's dangerous terrain. They don't understand to stay on the trails. They don't understand that there's no trail down below to take you to the base of the falls."

Maybe a course in reading & comprehending the English language would help ......also a result of instant info technology to keep the masses informed ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Niagara River !   It was one of my fav. bass fishing spots . Due to rising lake levels and unpredictable water level surges the river fishermen need to heed the ever changing status of the currents ....and rocks that have become greasy !  There has been many rescues this year ( body still missing ) ? 

Reading the rags today I see the Darwin candidates are rolling the dice at the River ....not  fishing , not doing the selfies , but swimming close to the fast currents .....  The heat can do strange things to peoples melons .....   :dunno:

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/niagara-region/2020/07/03/rescues-at-niagara-glen-on-the-rise.html

2 minutes ago, мормышка said:

I drove through Decew today. So many cars parked where they shouldn't be parking (No Parking Signs)....would be good revenue day for by-law writing tickets.

I "was" parking at one of those spots when I fished Moody .....but  it's all no parking now thanks to those "fine " people who will not heed the signs .  Add another sign to those posts .....  " $ 155. fine for illegal parking ....same amount as fishing without a license !

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

I "was" parking at one of those spots when I fished Moody .....but  it's all no parking now thanks to those "fine " people who will not heed the signs .  Add another sign to those posts .....  " $ 155. fine for illegal parking ....same amount as fishing without a license !

I was talking in the low section coming off Pelham, down the steep hill across the bridge before the next hill.

These crowds in St. Catharines are no locals. Still people trying to push into Decew Falls. But now security there to keep them out. So maybe people parking there to walk in from behind? I wonder how the ticks are there?

That would be one heck of a walk to the falls at the grist mill if they entered the stream there & some private property as well . ....many fallen trees crossing the creek , large rocks and yes , lots of deer  {ticks) in that area . They shut down "Hogs Back" road at the bottom of the hill many years ago because too many cars parked there .

And, when (if) you return to your car , you may find if has been towed away .....keep your phone charged to call a taxi .....B)

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

Weekends is most chaotic there.

The "Whole Wide World" is much smaller these days .........crowds can be organized in minutes.....

• 4 weeks later...

No parking ....no trespassing signs mean nothing to many people . Some of those parking spots "were" spots I used to fish Gibby , but they are now posted . Some people parked illegally yesterday , broke through the barriers to do their thing climbing up & down a cliff .They would expect a rescue unit to come if they got hurt ....Their cars were ticketed for $100 ....just a small price for their "adventures" .

Add another zero to that fine and lets see how that works , & pay for any rescues made .  Towing their cars would also serve as a deterrent ....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/niagara-region/2020/08/02/trespassers-forced-their-way-through-fencing-to-access-decew-falls.html

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

No parking ....no trespassing signs mean nothing to many people . Some of those parking spots "were" spots I used to fish Gibby , but they are now posted . Some people parked illegally yesterday , broke through the barriers to do their thing climbing up & down a cliff .They would expect a rescue unit to come if they got hurt ....Their cars were ticketed for $100 ....just a small price for their "adventures" .

Add another zero to that fine and lets see how that works , & pay for any rescues made .  Towing their cars would also serve as a deterrent ....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/niagara-region/2020/08/02/trespassers-forced-their-way-through-fencing-to-access-decew-falls.html

Driving through there on Saturday I saw a few cop cars at the museum section. Even behind the barricade. 

Archived