Carp carp carp

smerchly

2 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Smerch, so you’re not changing all your line out - do you think adding 15-20 feet of mono onto your braid would do the trick ? That way you’d still have some stretch in that leader but have that castability of the braid.  I’m not a carp fisherman but just an idea.  Thoughts ?

That's a thought Capt H......  I think adding at least  80 -100 ft. would be better , but I don't like (trust) a knot when fighting a bad girl ...if the line breaks ,she has all that line dragging around . There's about 100' of heavy mono backing on the reel , looks like 30 lb.test line . The reel could prob.take 150 yards of 20# mono , and when tossing 1 oz.-2 oz.of lead I can easily reach twice the distance I usually fish , and I haven't had problems with birds nests when I used it on my smaller carp bait runner reel . I'll soon know if I prefer the mono over braid and can quickly reload my 8000 ft of braid back on the spool . Test day will be Tuesday ....  :Gonefishing: .

My maize is cooling (expanding) in the pot outside ....going to add vanilla to this batch .(smells good) !

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, smerchly said:

...Pal knot for braid and trilene knot for mono ....always 2 loops through the eye of the hook . I have tested various knots using my vise to see where the weakest point is on my rigs . ...and wet the mono before tightening .

Today......  (Monday) ....I had an "event" last night ...cooked up 8 lbs of maize on my Coleman single burner after soaking for 16 hrs.  I let it sit on the burner to cool , checked on it an hour later ....The pot fell off on the garage floor !!!  What a lovely freekin mess !!... half the corn was on the floor with a big splotch of sticky juice . Mop time ! I used a clean shovel to clean up the corn that had vanilla added ...and bagged it this morning . ....Garage smells real nice !  I'll be more careful next time !! 

From 8 lbs. of dry corn I got over 17 lbs.of maize ...wrapped in 2 lb.+ zip bags , into freezer , one bag out for tomorrows brunch .   

Vanilla maize.jpg

Good luck tomorrow smerch. Wish I could join you.  Maybe I’ll get out one evening this week. 

Thanks Ty ....haha deleted the post as it didn't fit the present conversation ....

going to Peters to spool up & head to the water about 10 .

How did you make out today Bill? None for us and we left after two hours, they have to eat though.

My son is asking where did you purchase your chair with the canopy?

3 hours ago, steelshady said:

How did you make out today Bill? None for us and we left after two hours, they have to eat though.

My son is asking where did you purchase your chair with the canopy?

It was slow today ....carp were jumping everywhere but not on the feed . I tried that spot today since it looks like that rope was pulled out & it's a fav.spot for other carpers .....ended up with 2  , 10lbs &  7 -8 lbs.  ....Your son amazes me with his fishing knowledge !! We talked about pike's sharp teeth & he said "musky have them too & the catfish have stingers " He can put Italo to shame  lol !!  The canopy chair was bought about 5 years ago at C.Tire ....not sure if they have them in stock . It works great !

Now ..........."The rest of the story " .....

I hit Peter's at 10:05 am , lathered up the hands , pulled up my UV mask & asked to spool up my carp spool ...No Go ...because they can't handle your gear , etc...( covid rule) So I got a 300 yd. spool of P-line , 20# test and spooled up at the waterfront. First carp came about 90 min. & not much of a battle for it's size . I tried a corn puff ...carp on in 15 minutes , not much fight ...( Water warm ...low oxygen  ?? )

A mouse was picking up stray maize , 3 birds landed on my rod & then a mink started to come toward me like 5 ft.away ...I stood up , it freaked, dove in the water & then my alarm went nuts , line peeling out !!  I did NOT want to catch a mink !! Luckily, the line dropped and I reeled in my bait ...

The last carp had a piece missing from it's gill ....looked verrrry familiar !!  It was the same one I caught last week about 200 yards away at another spot !  There's always a story to be told every fishing trip !  This fish took the corn puff . I compared pictures to be sure . ...same fish !

And the head shakes are much softer with the mono line ...so far ,  so good ....

same carp x2.jpg

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

It was slow today ....carp were jumping everywhere but not on the feed . I tried that spot today since it looks like that rope was pulled out & it's a fav.spot for other carpers .....ended up with 2  , 10lbs &  7 -8 lbs.  ....Your son amazes me with his fishing knowledge !! We talked about pike's sharp teeth & he said "musky have them too & the catfish have stingers " He can put Italo to shame  lol !!  The canopy chair was bought about 5 years ago at C.Tire ....not sure if they have them in stock . It works great !

Now ..........."The rest of the story " .....

I hit Peter's at 10:05 am , lathered up the hands , pulled up my UV mask & asked to spool up my carp spool ...No Go ...because they can't handle your gear , etc...( covid rule) So I got a 300 yd. spool of P-line , 20# test and spooled up at the waterfront. First carp came about 90 min. & not much of a battle for it's size . I tried a corn puff ...carp on in 15 minutes , not much fight ...( Water warm ...low oxygen  ?? )

A mouse was picking up stray maize , 3 birds landed on my rod & then a mink started to come toward me like 5 ft.away ...I stood up , it freaked, dove in the water & then my alarm went nuts , line peeling out !!  I did NOT want to catch a mink !! Luckily, the line dropped and I reeled in my bait ...

The last carp had a piece missing from it's gill ....looked verrrry familiar !!  It was the same one I caught last week about 200 yards away at another spot !  There's always a story to be told every fishing trip !  This fish took the corn puff . I compared pictures to be sure . ...same fish !

And the head shakes are much softer with the mono line ...so far ,  so good ....

same carp x2.jpg

i think that carp likes you smerch. we need to find some bigger fish, i might have to try port d, welland canal or jordan soon.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, Tyler0420 said:

i might have to try port d, welland canal or jordan soon.

Did Gibby today ....2 for 2 .....first one took a corn puff , second one , maize on the hair rig . ...both 8-10 lb range . Both were very clean and put up a good fight .....one running right in to shore 30' from me. I tried another spot for 2 hours ....notta sniff .

Nice cloudy day to be out there !

I chose to retire at 50  while I was still in decent shape .  Twenty years later those "mysterious" aches and pains appear .....

27 years later .......     a lot of fishing time in  !!    :Gonefishing:

On 7/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, Tyler0420 said:

i think that carp likes you smerch

They know me .....I talk to them .....  -_-

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out this evening for a few hours and managed 1carp 15lbs and a cat 4ish lbs. the carp was caught on a hi viz yellow pineapple pop up and the cat ate a white one. Fished some packbait around the lead(oats, can corn, cream corn, boilie chops and strawberry jello). 

0258E89A-6DFE-4E0D-B2D3-EDC6D4AFE92F.jpeg

2EB45BD5-859F-48DD-A7EE-F6F806B9EDED.jpeg

259316E7-B2EE-4954-8BF0-D0FE2AD29513.jpeg

Handsome carp Tyler ...they put out a lot of BTU's there !  I think some of those "bumps" are cats nipping at the corn . I  tried another spot ....lots of rocks on bottom , lots of snags , hard on rigs , but managed to hook one about 11 lbs .  While quickly reeling in my rig to avoid getting caught on bottom , a small bass  10" took my corn .  ....need to find a better way to fish carp on rocky bottoms....maybe just use a heavier weight in that current ....

This guy was watching me ..... kept me from falling asleep .....   :glare:

turkey vulture.jpg

Archived