new underwater video

Jim K

10 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Thanks Jim great videos.

Question, are you guys roped off in that current, that current must be strong.

Thank you.  In my opinion, the risk of entanglement is too great.   I refuse to wear a tether in the river personally.  Others do, but I believe they were a factor in two river fatalities I am aware of. In this sport, I feel every diver has to do his own personal thorough risk assessment.  I have Opted out of dives because I didn't like the plan. The only line we employ is to our float and flag. 

24 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Jim do you eve see carp swimming around?

Yes we do on occasion. There is one in the beginning of one of the musky clips in this video. They are actually a difficult fish to approach and film. Very motion and exhaust bubble sensitive.

Where about do you dive out of sheer curiosity. And does the boat traffic hinder your dive? Anytime I’ve seen boats on the Niagara seems like a zoo. Great video non the less thanks for sharing. 

Boat traffic is a concern. Boaters and fishermen don't always respect the float and flag. I prefer to dive mid morning. It gives the early morning fishermen a couple drifts before we hit the water, but still gets us out there when at least most boaters are sober.

From what I've heard ,  the RV /Boat dealers can't keep up to the demand for trailers , boats motor homes, etc. as many want to be more mobile and away from crowded accommodations . More people are getting into fishing /boating , and other water activities .

As Norton said .....  it's becoming a zoo out there .   Lets see more police out there !

8 minutes ago, smerchly said:

From what I've heard ,  the RV /Boat dealers can't keep up to the demand for trailers , boats motor homes, etc. as many want to be more mobile and away from crowded accommodations . More people are getting into fishing /boating , and other water activities .

As Norton said .....  it's becoming a zoo out there .   Lets see more police out there !

Agreed Smerch and seems like on the water "etiquette" is almost non existent these days. I've been lucky to be working from home/cottage the past few months which allows me to "sneak away" for a couple hours to fish every so often. The nonsense I continue to see out on the water blows my mind. Are people that stupid or do people just not give a F?

As an "elder" here , I fondly remember watching Sea Hunt with Loyd Bridges !  .....always so interesting to see whats "under" our boats !  I had a 10 minute swim wearing a tank at Lake Wawashkesh,   many years ago ....saw a few walleye and darters about 10 feet down at the base of a rock crib . It was a thrilling experience !  

My neighbour , Al Smith did a lot of diving in the 50's ....had a huge anchor and welded anchor chain fence around his front yard . They didn't have video then ....it would have been interesting .....

Great shots....gotta love the mighty niagara....also agree with the comments in the water being a little better policed 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, smerchly said:

I think a lot of it has to do with this virus.  So many summertime activities are canceled this year. Festivals , concerts, and fairs are all off limits. Vacation plans have been cancelled,  People are looking for things to do locally outdoors that they can do by themselves or in small groups.  I'm seeing a lot of new boats out there, and a lot that may have not been on the water for years. I've also heard swimming pools and bicycles are seeing high demand.

Great video Jim as always. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:21 PM, smerchly said:

As an "elder" here , I fondly remember watching Sea Hunt with Loyd Bridges !  .....always so interesting to see whats "under" our boats !  I had a 10 minute swim wearing a tank at Lake Wawashkesh,   many years ago ....saw a few walleye and darters about 10 feet down at the base of a rock crib . It was a thrilling experience !  

My neighbour , Al Smith did a lot of diving in the 50's ....had a huge anchor and welded anchor chain fence around his front yard . They didn't have video then ....it would have been interesting .....

I really think Sea Hunt and the Undersea world of Jaques Cousteau were the big influences that actually popularized sport diving. I am a little young to remember Sea Hunts original run, but I am old enough to remember getting in front of the TV every Sunday for Cousteau. 

3 hours ago, Jim K said:

I really think Sea Hunt and the Undersea world of Jaques Cousteau were the big influences that actually popularized sport diving. I am a little young to remember Sea Hunts original run, but I am old enough to remember getting in front of the TV every Sunday for Cousteau. 

J.Cousteau was a real pro ...loved his shows .  Robin Williams and John Denver spent some time on the sea with him , and John's song "Calipso"  is excellent  !  

Archived