Useless COVID Phone Ap

genec

My wife and I have iPhone 5s which meet all our needs for phoning and texting, even piping my calls to my hearing aids.  
But the new COVID phone ap won’t work on them!  And I imagine a lot of other seniors like us, who need the ap the most, are in the same boat.

Talk about stupid design planning .. young post-teen Software  geeks with the latest, most modern, expensive phones and they completely Ignored who the ap should best serve.  The under 30 crowd who have most of the phones the ap will work on will probably either never download it, or they will just ignore it.

Just now, genec said:

My wife and I have iPhone 5s which meet all our needs for phoning and texting, even piping my calls to my hearing aids.  
But the new COVID phone ap won’t work on them

- it requires a much newer phone w newer operating system! And I imagine a lot of other seniors like us, who need the ap the most, are in the same boat.

Talk about stupid design planning .. young post-teen Software  geeks with the latest, most modern, expensive phones and they completely Ignored who the ap should best serve.  The under 30 crowd who have most of the phones the ap will work on will probably either never download it, or they will just ignore it.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

iphone 5 whats that?   jk :)

iphone 5 is the super deluxe model of my Alcatel flip phone .

I punch in the phone numbers .....   sweet memories of the 50's    :)

You are better off staying away from that App.  Great in theory but I still have too many questions on it.

Also I have read that it is a battery killer since it is always broadcasting.

Yea I am concerned about breach of privacy with that app. I’m sure the intentions are good and it may help people but I’ll pass on the app and go about my business like I have since the pandemic hit. Limit my time in stores wear a mask social distance etc. 

Not being a smart A$$ but the truth is anyone with a smart phone is already being tracked and the covid app is just another way of infringe on your freedoms and its going to get wors not telling anyone what to do but with this gov i would seriously think about this

Without question Gunner.  I would need to see a third party go through the app and explain what data is sent where.  Much like Tik Tok has been proven to be a bad app with the permissions it takes and does not need (among other things).

At the end of the day, the liberals are pushing us more and more towards being China 2.0, and enough of the population is buying into it since The Great Leader gets a free pass on everything from ethics violations through to brown-face since he took a knee in a BLM protest in Ottawa.

2 hours ago, Snags said:

since he took a knee in a BLM protest in Ottawa.

He has experience taking the knee to kiss China's a$$ many times .....

Are we going to buy millions of masks from China too .....one use and toss it in the garbage  ?  Familiar ??

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

He has experience taking the knee to kiss China's a$$ many times .....

Are we going to buy millions of masks from China too .....one use and toss it in the garbage  ?  Familiar ??

No smerch it's worse then that the vaccine is going to be from china military and they have already bought the syringes one for every person in Canada from newborns up to seniors 

4 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

No smerch it's worse then that the vaccine is going to be from china military and they have already bought the syringes one for every person in Canada from newborns up to seniors 

Canada need to grow a backbone ......someday .....maybe .....

Here's the thing about the app. 

1. It is open source and was developed by volunteers world wide. Anyone is able to look at the source code for it if they really want to see what exactly it does. There is no black ops voodoo BS in the app.

2. It is a battery killer depending on the phone you use. It actively looks for other bluetooth devices running the app. Bluetooth has an effective range of about 15 feet.

3. The app itself only logs the date/time that another device with the app was in range, and a specific (random) ID for that device. The app also checks in with a server to see if any of the ID's you have been close to have tested positive.

4. The app's usefulness is only as good as people's honesty to put in a code if they do test positive. In theory the app is 100% anonymous as you will never see/know the identity of someone you have been in proximity to.

5. All the app is really going to do for you is tell you if someone you have been "close" to has tested positive in the last two weeks.

6. A person cannot "fake" a positive result on the app to cause an issue.

My opinion of this is that I don't really care if I have been close to someone. I conduct myself in terms of distancing and handwashing to the point where I am confortable to be out in public. I don't think that after the fact information is going to do anything for me or anyone else. I feel that if anything, it's going to cause mass hysteria if people start to lose their crap because they have been "close" to someone who has tested positive.

I will not be installing the app on my phone, I don't feel there is any benefit to myself having it. I don't like suprises and I don't feel it's worth the (for lack of a better term) paranoia that is involved with it.

If people are overly worried and have nothing better to do they should install the app. For this guy, not happening.

It only warns you after the fact not vibrate  " get the H out of here " , my phone is only visible to bluetooth devices I am paired with, namely my hearing aids, I don't have data just use free hotspots around town and really who will test positive and enter it on their phone before going out in public. 

Just like the mask all this is really doing is letting the GOV know who is going to comply the last i seen that only 4% has downloaded the app people do not like the fact that the Gov has his nose in there bedroom so to speak 

21 hours ago, dave524 said:

It only warns you after the fact not vibrate  " get the H out of here " , my phone is only visible to bluetooth devices I am paired with, namely my hearing aids, I don't have data just use free hotspots around town and really who will test positive and enter it on their phone before going out in public. 

If the app does tell you that someone close to you is positive, there is someone outside of quarantine who needs a solid punch to the nose. The app will supercede your bluetooth settings and will continuously look for other devices running the app, you have no say in that matter reguardless of your pairings. The only data it uses is what's available at any given time to pull updates from the server with the ID's of other devices who have put in the "I tested positive" code.

21 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Just like the mask all this is really doing is letting the GOV know who is going to comply the last i seen that only 4% has downloaded the app people do not like the fact that the Gov has his nose in there bedroom so to speak 

With the app itself, there is complete anonimity. This is not to say that the gov't is not tracking people some other way. The gov't requires court ordered paperwork to legally collect location data for people from cell carriers. Most people freely give away their location data to unknown third party companies by installing their favourite apps and games so people who are concerned about this app in terms of location data are hypocrits in my opinion. When you install the app there is nothing in it that ties personal information about you to the app.

I have chosen not to install it. My choice had nothing to do with privacy concerns. I have no doubt the privacy of this app is far far far better than pretty much every other app people have installed.

Here's an interesting story. I was at a legal social gathering on the weekend. There were a bunch of us sitting around, including some paralegals who were talking shop. I didn't use my phone for anything that evening but since that night I have been getting google ads related to paralegals on all my devices. Try to convince me that google isn't always listening on mobile devices for keywords to target their advertising to.

Looking into the future .....today's 4 year olds are using phones which will be an integral part of their body in order to function . I see 4 kids walking down the street ...not speaking to each other but texting/speaking to someone elsewhere "LOL"  ....or playing "games"

As one who has seen the changes in technology over the years .....I feel very fortunate to be a "boomer"   

Before you say it  , aha.... YES  , it's nice to sit here tapping on a key board which millions of other keyboarderites can read & respond , there's good and bad in everything .....but I believe this "intrusive" technology will "own" us eventually ......  ( 84 )

57 minutes ago, corey said:

With the app itself, there is complete anonimity. This is not to say that the gov't is not tracking people some other way. The gov't requires court ordered paperwork to legally collect location data for people from cell carriers. Most people freely give away their location data to unknown third party companies by installing their favourite apps and games so people who are concerned about this app in terms of location data are hypocrits in my opinion. When you install the app there is nothing in it that ties personal information about you to the app.

I have chosen not to install it. My choice had nothing to do with privacy concerns. I have no doubt the privacy of this app is far far far better than pretty much every other app people have installed.

Here's an interesting story. I was at a legal social gathering on the weekend. There were a bunch of us sitting around, including some paralegals who were talking shop. I didn't use my phone for anything that evening but since that night I have been getting google ads related to paralegals on all my devices. Try to convince me that google isn't always listening on mobile devices for keywords to target their advertising to.

This is true as i had mentioned above anyone with a smart phone are being tracked the same thing happened to a buddy he was looking at fishing tackle then he got a notification on his phone all about fishing gear just think about what they can and are doing we are being watched on our phone well not me i'm like smerch i only have a flip phone i will never have a smart phone

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Looking into the future .....today's 4 year olds are using phones which will be an integral part of their body in order to function . I see 4 kids walking down the street ...not speaking to each other but texting/speaking to someone elsewhere "LOL"  ....or playing "games"

As one who has seen the changes in technology over the years .....I feel very fortunate to be a "boomer"   

Before you say it  , aha.... YES  , it's nice to sit here tapping on a key board which millions of other keyboarderites can read & respond , there's good and bad in everything .....but I believe this "intrusive" technology will "own" us eventually ......  ( 84 )

It already does smerch anyone that has these phones will never give them up and go back to a flip phone it's funny that you talk about these kids staring at there phone adults are just as bad i call them tech zombies i was talking to my neighbor as he pulled out his phone as i was talking to him when i was finished talking to him he did not hear a word i said now if i'm talking to him and he pulls out his phone i walk away i don't understand what power these phones have over people and i guess i never will

Archived