If You Hook into a Big One????

Tony

Gentlemen, I just need some general advice, please.........I've hooked into a few good sized fish this year, but I was fishing alone......If you're alone and you hook into

a big one (and you do have your net), how do you go about netting the fish while trying to hold onto the fish with your rod???  This is one skill that I haven't been able to 

master.............Thanking you in advance for any possible suggestions.......................And I only fish from shore.............

I’m strictly a boat person, but I’m sure the same technique would work from shore.

I reel in until only about 6-7 feet of line left out from rod tip, keeping the rod Low And parallel  to the water surface.  
then, keeping the rod held in 1 hand, I grab my net With the other hand and immerse the mesh in front of me about 1 foot below the surface.

Then I sweep (not jerk) the rod up from horizontal to vertical and at the same time raise my rod arm upward.  This brings the fish quickly both towards me and the water surface, hopefully right over the net opening, and I can raise the net upward with my net arm, bringing the net up out of the water.
Hope this helps.

I am still trying to get it down pat.....Using a 12' rod with a big thrashing carp can be a challenge to net solo . First of all , tire the fish enough to bring it in close to shore (rocky shores are tougher) . Then I set the butt of the rod firmly on the ground beside me and have about 10' of line to the fish from the tip of the rod ,then bring the rod to a near vertical position which drags the fish in netting distance . I use my left hand for the net while positioning the fish into it. Then I grab the net handle with both hands while still holding the rod in the right hand .... then hold the net vertically to keep the fish in the "bag" at the bottom of the net .

Tony ....if you saw me performing my circus act landing a thrashing carp you would be well entertained !   Today ....I had a gentleman net my  only carp .  It would be a chore to do it solo in those large rocks ....

A Lighter the net is better. I was using a extendable salmon net for carp and felt like I was going to break my wrist, now I have a light weight carp net now and it makes Netting a fish so much easier

If I hook into a big one (hasn't happened in a year plus now) ... tire the fish out so it is a little more mellow in the net and in turn on shore while I remove the hook.  Once the fish looks to have given up, the net goes in the dominant hand and the rod to the other with a little praying to the fishing demons (since the fish gods don't hear my thoughts it appears).

5 hours ago, Snags said:

Once the fish looks to have given up.........

That's when they lie on their back with pelvic fins raised .......

Saying a little prayer  will help too .....

I have lost a few that escaped the net  ,  and the gods heard me loud and clear after the escape !   👿

12 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Panic after the hooks get caught in the netting but the fish is not in.

Lost a big rainbow off Jordan  years ago ....caught on an orange J-11 that got hooked up on the rim of the net . At least I got a look at the "fish that got away"  !  It's the fish that smoked my reel and broke off unseen that boggles the mind !  I know some of them were probably Ontario records .......   :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Lost a big rainbow off Jordan  years ago ....caught on an orange J-11 that got hooked up on the rim of the net . At least I got a look at the "fish that got away"  !  It's the fish that smoked my reel and broke off unseen that boggles the mind !  I know some of them were probably Ontario records .......   :rolleyes:

I just hate losing a good sized fish, Bill...................It's really heartbreaking.................🥺

Archived