Back Yard Nature ...

smerchly

We have lots of critters roaming at night , and plenty of birds and bugs by day . I've been watching the sparrows busily taking material to build their "home" in my birdhouse ....then taking turns sitting on the eggs .....then collecting food to feed the young , back & forth hundreds of times feeding the young ...watching their heads sticking out anticipating the next bug or worm . Finally ....one takes its first flight ....to the ground  !  My little dog saw it ...ran to it in 5 seconds .......chewed it up & swallowed  it !!  I was pi$$ed at my dog , but as my wife said it could have been a hawk that visits us periodically ....

Mother nature at Work ??    :huh:

Something has been getting into our garbage pail  & the neighbours trash too ....I set the trap last night ....caught a young possum , let it go at 4 a.m. , their good to have for ticks etc. and are quite harmless . The skunks and cats also get into the garbage , not sure if I caught the "culprit" !

The humming birds are visiting our tall canna flowers ,   bats after sunset , and the cicadas are now playing their tunes .....  it's a slow day ........:santa:

2 months ago every morning i would go out side clean up my garbage we have cats running around but thought to myself this is not a cat so put up a trail cam checked it in the morning after picking up my garbage can it was a coon this years offspring i put out my live trap had caught took it out of town and released him no more messes i sit out back early morning and watch the squirrels and the birds and sip on my coffee 

15 hours ago, Row dog said:

Absurd or not I believe the law states they must be released no more than 1 km from where they were trapped. Makes no sense to me

That would mean I would have to release a coon or skunk in someones yard  500 meters down the street .....

I'll make sure I'm wearing  my new Covid 2020 mask ......    :ph34r:

Don't know why they have that reg. 1km away you can almost guarantee they'll come back. I was told by an mnr co its to prevent spread of disease .?????????????

On 8/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, smerchly said:

We have lots of critters roaming at night , and plenty of birds and bugs by day . I've been watching the sparrows busily taking material to build their "home" in my birdhouse ....then taking turns sitting on the eggs .....then collecting food to feed the young , back & forth hundreds of times feeding the young ...watching their heads sticking out anticipating the next bug or worm . Finally ....one takes its first flight ....to the ground  !  My little dog saw it ...ran to it in 5 seconds .......chewed it up & swallowed  it !!  I was pi$$ed at my dog , but as my wife said it could have been a hawk that visits us periodically ....

Mother nature at Work ??    :huh:

Something has been getting into our garbage pail  & the neighbours trash too ....I set the trap last night ....caught a young possum , let it go at 4 a.m. , their good to have for ticks etc. and are quite harmless . The skunks and cats also get into the garbage , not sure if I caught the "culprit" !

The humming birds are visiting our tall canna flowers ,   bats after sunset , and the cicadas are now playing their tunes .....  it's a slow day ........:santa:

It's amazing what goes on around us if we take the time to look, 90% of the population is totally oblivious to it. Don't know what they're missing out on. .

Congrats to your pooch for making a kill, at least he ate it, hopefully he didn't jinx himself with he Hawk! HA

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

It's amazing what goes on around us if we take the time to look, 90% of the population is totally oblivious to it. Don't know what they're missing out on. .

Congrats to your pooch for making a kill, at least he ate it, hopefully he didn't jinx himself with he Hawk! HA

I  live in a subdivision (hood) since they have built housing here for the last 20 years . We now have large trees and lots of cover for all sorts of critters .  It seems strange to see so many  squirrels , coons, possums ,skunks , rabbits & rats !  All kinds of birds from raptors to humming birds , and ducks and geese .....Then there's the world of butterflies , moths , and insects , the odd snake , but the toads have disappeared ....haven't seen one in years !  .......or turkeys ......

The robins would start their "mating calls" about 4 a.m.    Cheer-up ...over & over    !!   :wacko:

But I don't think robins are any match for this little birdie ..... keep them down under please....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0tP-p7m40

I'm sure we had whippoorwills and nighthawks here years ago ....don't see many other birds much anymore ,like oriels , king birds , cowbirds , catbirds , etc.....but we do have turkeys !!

The "kook"s are crazier than a cuckoo !!   A trip to Aussieland would be one of my first places to live..... (for a while)....

This kook laughs on cue .....would drive me bananas .....   

Go to 1:40 .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lZt-JLhsg4

Tony , you are up so early !!   I just came in for my coffee after chasing 2 squirrels and a small rabbit out of the back yard ....my dog will go nuts chasing them, she's getting too old for that  !

Nice shot of of Peter !  

The heavy rains yesterday and last night really perked up the grass  .... the rabbits will be happy !

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Tony , you are up so early !!   I just came in for my coffee after chasing 2 squirrels and a small rabbit out of the back yard ....my dog will go nuts chasing them, she's getting too old for that  !

Nice shot of of Peter !  

The heavy rains yesterday and last night really perked up the grass  .... the rabbits will be happy !

Yes, I'm a real early bird, so to speak.......Usually up by 4:30 a.m....................

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Yes, I'm a real early bird, so to speak.......Usually up by 4:30 a.m....................

If I could lug my ass out of bed at 4:30 a.m. , I would catch more fish ....usually don't leave for fishing until 10 a.m......like today ....   :Gonefishing:

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

Had to wash him in dish soap and diluted vinegar.

Poor little guy.....I KNOW my dog  ( pug/jack) would hit a skunk . She "thought" she killed a possum ,but it disappeared  by morning ..... 

Boxer next door got it squarely in the mug .....they used peroxide, Dawn dish soap & baking soda ...then shampoo .

Archived