On the shore again

knightfisher

24 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

For the hours put in, not really, but better than the white stripe.

You are doing well Dan considering Gibby has not been producing numbers or size this year . Jordan has been a bust , and you know how well we did there in the past years .

I have been playing with another fishing rig .....hoping to do the 12 tomorrow but not for carp . I'll be tossing spinner/worm combos , tubes &  twisters for bass and pike .... and I have a few other spots to try as well .

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

You are doing well Dan considering Gibby has not been producing numbers or size this year . Jordan has been a bust , and you know how well we did there in the past years .

I have been playing with another fishing rig .....hoping to do the 12 tomorrow but not for carp . I'll be tossing spinner/worm combos , tubes &  twisters for bass and pike .... and I have a few other spots to try as well .

Will be hitting the shores as well soon for the toothie critters.  As you know BIll, it's been my passion hunting these pike. However like the carp, the numbers are not there for me. Snags and I walked various shorelines along Gibby the other day, covering a lot of area, for at least 2 hours and no signs of life in the water.  Head scratcher for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

It was so nice to fish today without the blazing heat !  I packed up the carp gear & headed to Rennie . First spot ...2 hrs. and no action (zero) !  Moved to another spot ...chummed with oat/cream corn/maize packbait with some scatterings  of maize ....4o minutes later ,  the alarm screemed & away we go !! It went way over to my right into weeds ...couldn't budge it ...let off a little slack ....it came out & headed to the center ...felt like a whopper ....strong fish !  Wanted to weigh it but my scale flunked out ....some where in the double digits between 10 & 99 lbs .  It was hooked lightly just inside the lip but it bled a little from the gill & took off quickly when released .

Spotted this "thing" beside the pathway  ....have an idea what is is (was) , but I'd like to hear a few opinions  .....

port carp.jpg

skeletal fish port.jpg

Lots of bait fish in there , maybe the carp are feasting on them . Funny how clear the eye is on that fish which is probably a carp , but the bottom jaw seemed a little too high , reminding me of a grass carp  . An older gent walking his dog saw it and also thought it may be a grass carp . He fishes there all year and likes carp fishing as well .

Mike Pike ......hope you are still with us .....   :Gonefishing:

3 hours ago, Tony said:

That skeleton is ugly, whatever it is.....

It's a "before and after" picture of a carp Tony .....  I didn't release it fast enough.... B)

After browsing the www  ,skeletal images of carp , I'm quite sure that "UGLIness"s is a regular carp .....

I'll ask Bruce .......   ^_^

Check out my latest experimental rig .....  I gave it a go at Port D. and caught a carp . I eliminated the  swivel and used a bead instead . I did a strength test twice to see where the line would break . ....broke at the eye at the hook both times,  which is best for the fish .....here's a shot of the rig ....

... first on the line is the egg weight ,  then a bead , then the second bead which must have 3 loops to stay tight , then tie the hook ,either straight or with hair . It's a little lighter without the swivel and only one snell knot, at the hook . I will use dark beads ....don't want the fish to think white or yellow beads are edible .......

carp rig beads.jpg

Archived