Surprisingly Silver September

Mbocco

A scrappy 20lb female from the WP today. 

I fought a gigantic male for 15min and brought him to my feet but he was too big for the net and spit the lure while I tried to net him.  The largest fish of my life.  Another fish story ....  

C068D988-8E75-4C7C-BB6A-EAE5BE6580A1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

nice salmon mbocco. what lure were you throwing? 

Thundermist Stingeye pink/silver for mine.  

Many others were catching on spoons. 

Roe isn’t working quite yet apparently though I didn’t try. 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Thundermist Stingeye pink/silver for mine.  

Many others were catching on spoons. 

Roe isn’t working quite yet apparently though I didn’t try. 

It will change to a egg bite soon as the salmon start dropping eggs. Hopefully some hungry browns around this year. 

3 hours ago, Mbocco said:

The guy beside me was just pulling them up on the rocks without a net. 

May be using 80# braid (like snaggers use)  . He may also lose fish after it's mouth is ripped apart ...

He should watch how the carp anglers handle their catch down there .....  

It's been a long time since I fished the pool ......

15 hours ago, Darryl L said:

I have never fished the whirlpool but would love to try it out this fall when my boat goes away for the winter. Great pics . 

I suggest you go with someone that knows the pool. It can be dangerous if your not aware of the hazards. Also, prepare for a fun hike back up..LOL. 

4 hours ago, DaveC said:

I suggest you go with someone that knows the pool. It can be dangerous if your not aware of the hazards. Also, prepare for a fun hike back up..LOL. 

Absolutely.  I hear it's a good work out !

On 9/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, Darryl L said:

I have never fished the whirlpool but would love to try it out this fall when my boat goes away for the winter. Great pics . 

You should go Whirlpool at fall. Beside good fishing there, scenary with autumn leaves is so beautiful there. World class hiking trail through glen to whirlpool

40 minutes ago, iscoDisco said:

You should go Whirlpool at fall. Beside good fishing there, scenary with autumn leaves is so beautiful there. World class hiking trail through glen to whirlpool

I'm definitely hoping to, but as suggested I will find someone who knows what they're doing as I have never been down there. 

• 11 months later...

I’ll resurrect my thread from a year ago. 

Caught a beauty this morning.  The salmon are slowly arriving.  I was the only person down there today.  I went down right as the rain stopped and was nicely rewarded with a solid fight.  Not a lot of salmon jumping yet but this one did a couple times before I could land him.  22lbs or so.  Super fat!!  The pictures aren’t great because it was barely light out.  

Once it got light I switched to bass and caught a decent SMB, who also jumped!

419EAB1C-2F93-4FA1-A983-E22645B77CA0.jpeg

E5F0075A-03C5-48C4-8843-44276A4569BF.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Caught a beauty this morning.  The salmon are slowly arriving.  I was the only person down there today.  I went down right as the rain stopped and was nicely rewarded with a solid fight.  Not a lot of salmon jumping yet but this one did a couple times before I could land him.  22lbs or so.  Super fat!!  The pictures aren’t great because it was barely light out.  

Once it got light I switched to bass and caught a decent SMB, who also jumped!

419EAB1C-2F93-4FA1-A983-E22645B77CA0.jpeg

E5F0075A-03C5-48C4-8843-44276A4569BF.jpeg

Nice hen, what lure did you use?

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Another nice Wed.morning king ...congrats !   It is a bonus when they jump ...puts the adrenaline into high gear !   

1 hour ago, steelshady said:

Nice hen, what lure did you use?

That one hit a Berkley Flicker Shad that I was hanging in the current.  No takers on my stingeye spinners in pink or gold, so I figured I’d throw something that a salmon or a bass would hit.  I don’t usually catch bass on a #4 spinners down there but they do like shad.  I actually thought it was a bass after she took the lure.  It wasn’t violent but within 10sec my drag was screaming and I knew I had acquired the target species. 👍

I still have yet to land by first salmon. I have been out multiple 5+ hour nights and have only gotten 2 hits. I was thinking i might as well switch to bottom bouncing with roe to try to get them. Im think bound to hook up on a king at some time soon. (I hope lol)