cormorants

gunner-2

My main concern is the disposal of these birds . There are so many "unethical" anglers & hunters these days ...like the ones who leave their trash .....

There will be a big backlash (happening now) from various non hunting groups , so time will tell if the cormorant hunting will last .....

This is the first comment I read  , written by a hunter .....  I was always in favour of the MNR culling cormorants since they would be properly disposed ..... lets see where it goes from here ....

" I honestly had to check the date when I read this to make sure it was not April
1!! This is akin to the old bounty system. As a hunter in Ontario, the last
thing I want is to have this activity associated with hunting or naming the
Cormorant as a game bird. This is essentially a legislated slaughter of a
species for no scientific reason other than some uninformed people are looking
for a scapegoat for declining fish stocks.

I live close to Lake Nipissing and I cannot imagine the mess this is going to
make when "hunters" go to a roosting island and blast away 50 Cormorants each
and then leave them to rot there. Nobody is going to pick them up and dispose of them properly.

This is possibly the most insane proposal that I have seen from the MNRF in my
recent memory and if this passes they should be absolutely ashamed of
themselves as a natural resource agency. Go back to the drawing board and where
there are valid ecological issues, perhaps the degradation of some island
ecosites, and come up with a real management plan that addresses that issue. "

I doubt guys will be going to a roosting nest and blasting them then leaving. I’ve seen a cormorant swim around all day eating fish after after fish.  Just imagine what the 1000’s are doing to Hamilton harbor.  Bye bye walleye/perch population. 

They are fish eating machines !  I watched 2 of them eating dozens of perch in a marina .....saw one take small pike and trout at Port Dal .   If they are left to rot we know who will be showing pictures and protesting with the signs , etc.

What happened to the egg spraying program ?  The problem is these birds live for 20+ years !

We have been talking about the cormorants for many years here .....I was trying to find a picture I took at Port Dalhousie harbour  about 10-15 years ago ....thousands of corms that turned the harbour black !  ...can't find the photo ...

...An old post from a female member we had here for a while ....very much against killing them ....

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3484/cormorantfiringsquad1ds0.th.jpg

WOW KILL KILL KILL – If you can’t kill the fish then kill a native bird ?

At the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and the Canadian Wildlife Service, biologists understand that colonial water birds do not deplete native fish stocks.

The political masters of those biologists, however, are under pressure from a less knowledgeable but powerful sport and commercial fishing lobby to kill many of the double-crested cormorants whose numbers are currently increasing in the Great Lakes.

Ontario's new scapegoat:

The Double-crested Cormorant

Cormorants are victims of an enormous misinformation campaign.

Many people don't understand the ecological role of these colonial birds and the natural processes that occur when they are present.

Myth: Cormorants consume large quantities of desirable game fish.

Fact: The majority of the cormorant's diet is invasive species such as Alewives and Round Gobies, which are destructive to the ecosystem, non-commercial species such as sticklebacks and extremely abundant species such as Yellow Perch.

Myth: Cormorants are a major contributor to the declining fish populations in the Great Lakes.

Fact: Surveys of stomach contents indicate the birds consume approximately 0.5% of the fish in Lake Ontario, which is insignificant when compared to the 13% consumed by predatory game fish.

A real threat to fish populations in the Great Lakes is overfishing. ---

Not my words but refect my thoughts. http://content.invisioncic.com/r48182/emoticons/default_dunno.gif

Edited  

I see no response to my post ..... hope y'all don't think I'm against a cull or a proper legal hunt for these birds . The word here is "ethical" ....leaving birds to rot will only cause it all to be shut down .  Keep our environment clean ......simple ...

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I see no response to my post ..... hope y'all don't think I'm against a cull or a proper legal hunt for these birds . The word here is "ethical" ....leaving birds to rot will only cause it all to be shut down .  Keep our environment clean ......simple ...

I see your point smerch lets hope that don't happen lets hope that if they are going kill the birds that they disposed of them right way

"As a hunter"....most likely not a hunter.

23 hours ago, smerchly said:

" I honestly had to check the date when I read this to make sure it was not April
1!! This is akin to the old bounty system. As a hunter in Ontario, the last
thing I want is to have this activity associated with hunting or naming the
Cormorant as a game bird. This is essentially a legislated slaughter of a
species for no scientific reason other than some uninformed people are looking
for a scapegoat for declining fish stocks.

I live close to Lake Nipissing and I cannot imagine the mess this is going to
make when "hunters" go to a roosting island and blast away 50 Cormorants each
and then leave them to rot there. Nobody is going to pick them up and dispose of them properly.

This is possibly the most insane proposal that I have seen from the MNRF in my
recent memory and if this passes they should be absolutely ashamed of
themselves as a natural resource agency. Go back to the drawing board and where
there are valid ecological issues, perhaps the degradation of some island
ecosites, and come up with a real management plan that addresses that issue. "

Most likely not a hunter, nor a well informed one.

On another note, dozens o cormorants where seagulls usually are on Martindale Pond, isn't good news for the fish population. Should be interesting when ice fishing comes around and how many perch (for example) will be around.

• 3 weeks later...

We also need to get the other cormmorants under control as well. The human ones. I see them almost everyday taking fish regardless of size or species. You call the Ministry but there is no size limit on these fish and by the time the ministry gets around to checking. Well all the evidnce is gone. Time for size limits on Perch and Bass. Just my 2 cents. As for the feathered cormorants. Please after you shoot them be a good guy and dispose of them and not leave a mess.

As I approached the 6 diverters on Martindale pond yesterday, they were full of cormorants. They started diving into the water as I got closer.

Easily over ---500--- birds.

Explains why fishing has been tougher on this body of water.

DSCN4223.JPG

DSCN4224.JPG

DSCN4225.JPG

I have seen a pair of them spend hours in a marina and watched them devour many perch . Some were passing over me yesterday , a few at a time , coming from the area where you were fishing Dan . 

11 hours ago, F4U said:

We also need to get the other cormmorants under control as well. The human ones. I see them almost everyday taking fish regardless of size or species. You call the Ministry but there is no size limit on these fish and by the time the ministry gets around to checking. Well all the evidnce is gone. Time for size limits on Perch and Bass. Just my 2 cents. As for the feathered cormorants. Please after you shoot them be a good guy and dispose of them and not leave a mess.

Some good points there ....  keeping  big hen perch full of eggs doesn't help the numbers either ....

I saw a guy last week with 6-7 gobies in a small bucket of water ....destined for his dinner table ? ....another beef I have with our MNR that hands out licenses to one and all , regardless of their lack of knowing the regs.

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have seen a pair of them spend hours in a marina and watched them devour many perch . Some were passing over me yesterday , a few at a time , coming from the area where you were fishing Dan . 

Some good points there ....  keeping  big hen perch full of eggs doesn't help the numbers either ....

I saw a guy last week with 6-7 gobies in a small bucket of water ....destined for his dinner table ? ....another beef I have with our MNR that hands out licenses to one and all , regardless of their lack of knowing the regs.

A $50 written test? 60 question multiple choice, 80% minimum pass? That would be good. :pardon:

17 minutes ago, мормышка said:

A $50 written test? 60 question multiple choice, 80% minimum pass? That would be good. :pardon:

Seems all they want is the license fee .... The first page of the regulations book should  "try" to educate the morons who leave their trash all over the place !!  Fines should start at $500 !

20 hours ago, мормышка said:

When I went to Germany I was reading about fishing licenses. I didn’t need to write it because I was just visiting but they have an exam they have to pass.  

How about one of our enterprising young members design and build a "crematorium" for the disposal of dead birds. I'm confident that they would sell. My idea so I want dibs, LOL .............................. Daniel

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

Fertilizer? 

The farmers used to dump smelts under their fruit trees back in the 50's . I would rather see them incinerated .......or sent to China (more meat than bats) ......   🤐

Archived