Port Weller

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

The wife asked me to stay home today and plant Tulips ;) So I gave up a trip to Lake Scugog with Salmon. The winds and weather wern't really good for today so I said I'd stay.

Shortly after getting up I checked the weather,dang I need to get this planting done. Of course I was not doing it right ;) so the wife took over,and I was all hooked up and out the door to PD.

Headed over to the canal and behind the CCGS looking for Brown Trout

PW1101.jpg

Nothing there but a few big marks. I then trolled out across the Canal and as I was making the turn from the east side of the Canal pay dirt. I got this beaut :worthy: of a sheephead on the DRigger.

PW1101planer.jpg

The winds aren't looking good this week,hopefully by Friday the Niagara will be clear.

very nice.....  how big?  CCGS? ummm canadian coast guard station... wow i'm having a dumb moment.. LOL :worthy:

2219[/snapback]

About 18" I guess. Had all of the trebles and 3 minnows in his mouth,frigging things... I never new the CCGS was there till this spring when I trolled up to Lock 1. ;)

I think its only recently that the station has existed in that area, used to venture there alot and only recently (3/4 years maybe) found a fence saying cdn coast gaurd ... unless i was jsut blind before ... and also the most likely thing.

Brian

You should keep the sheapheads and sell them down in Port Dalhousie to those who like them for stew.

Guest bigfishbass

if it is the same ccgs, at the end of goverment road prior to lock 1...it has been there for a long time....i grew up in that area when i was a kid and we always used to talk to the guys from the coast guard... some even invited us in to look at the boats and the cool stuff they had....i hear that there is good fishing just before the gates to lock 1... there is a water fall there to the right of it... i guess it's fenced in now..and free tickets for all. But I remember guys catching monster browns there...but i was knee high to a grasshopper....so anything was a monster back then. May have venture into that area...with some investigative tactics from my buddies at the NRPD...heehee...sometimes it pays to know people who patrol the area.

lol, just remember its seaway property. Now lock two doesnt appear to be fenced off and its a similar setup, would be fewer fish but none the less there should be some nice browns there was well.

As well remember they need to swim past the pilot boats to get to lock 1.

If you want to take a long walk which most don't, you can go to the east side of the canal and park by the pilot boat then walk to the end. There is a pier that juts across and I've had some pretty decent brown action in the past. Long ago. Havn't been there in awhile. I imagine there is more elbow room there than in the city.

Guest Steelheader

So salmon and trout actually migrate up the welland canal from lake ontario? Are they stocked fish? I didn't think there was any spawning habitat in the canal, so where did they come from?

Also, I've fished that waterfall at Lock 2 (the lower waterfall that exits the 200m long concrete trough). Never caught anything there. Figured it would be a good place for smallies, but some of you are saying there's browns in there?

Don't get caught in there and if you go there, know that if you fall in your probably a goner which is why it's fenced off at the more popular lock 1. You'll get the odd salmon alot farther up the canal if you try but after lock 3, there is the old canal system leading up to gate 12. Another spot to shoot fish in a barrel. Yet proof again that the salmon do have a successfull spawn. I doubt that the canal or gate 12 is an area in which the stocking programs choose to release fish yet they return there year after year! If you want to see some huge salmon, go to lock one and see the size of a few that make it into that "trough" bypass. Fun for the kids to watch but hold on to em cause it's a big step.

Guest bigfishbass

i'll be going out there in the morning tommorow to check it out...may try to see if the area around the pilot boats is fishable....but like i said before havn't been there in years...and things may have changed. :P

they havent, drove down the other day to scout the area but they were moving an extra large boat with a crane ... the area hasn't changed except for completely closing off access to the ramp that used to be accessabile there.

Lock 1 is definately off limits and just a heads up ... you may think you blend in down there but you don't. Saw a few guys last year in the camaflague gear they stood out like no tomorrow ... Seaway vehicles drive down both sides of the canal so they can see you from the otehr side.

Lock 2 I dont ever recall seeing signs saying NO FISHING like they are at Lock 1.

Just remember that the number of fish decreases at each lock as some choose to try and jump the trough as opposed to using the locks.

I agree with you Chili that there is some successfull breeding with the number that attempt to migrate through the canal, especially up that area. In the spring I have seen some decent sized minnows that are aggressive in their feeding around there ... so I assumed that a few fish were successfull.

IBC

Guest Perch man

When I was younger we got stopped along the welland canal and was told that there is positivly NO FISHING in the canal at all from lake to lake. You are tresspassing and asked to leave. When you could fish lock 1 I saw a guy in a boat troling in the canal. Then saw a opp boat and a costegard boat yelling at him after found put he got $8000.00 in fines.

Tight lines

I was in the Canal below Lock 1 in March,my only concern at that time is if it was concered part of the lake,so I brought in one line. I trolled with one inline board out. As I passed the CGS there was 3 CG men on the deck of the CG Cutter,I waved they waved and I continued on. :Gonefishing:

:Gonefishing: I couldnt get any one to go to Scugog so Jonathan got a day of outdoor ed.. We landed 6 chinooks (all dark but one) and Jonathan got a nice little brown trout...all shore fishing down Jordan Station.

Jonathan seems to have a horse shoe eh. How did you convince the wife that fishing was more important then school!!!

He must have been real pleased to get out with you!

Guest Steelheader

At Lock 2 there are no fences or signs that say no fishing or no trespassing. In fact there is a well used dirt road on the east side, and an obvious fishing spot on the concrete wall right beside the lower spillway (you can tell from the bits of tackle lying around).

It's certainly not illegal to walk or bike along the canal, so I don't see how it could be illegal to fish in it. If it were, it would have to be marked accordingly.

:) My wife kept him home because his stomach was sore..Some how it got cured when I mentioned fishing..  :)

2400[/snapback]

hehe Yes fishing will heal what ails you

Archived