Nature In Action...

мормышка

I was scouting a fishing area and as I drove up to where I was going to park I saw a fox. The fox interested in something on the grassy ground. I observed for a bit before driving up closer. I saw something move and the fox pounced with front paws and stopped, repeated this again. So I drove up slowly. Fox didn't move. It looked up at me and back to the ground. I was close enough to see it was a large mouse. 

The fox didn't run away even after I rolled down my window to say, "What are you doing?".  But kept looking at me and back at the mouse. So the mouse scampered, the fox pounced, but this time grabbed it with its mouth, a light bite, dropped it and continued to watch it. I the mouse kept trying to escaped, action repeated again. Then the mouse stood up to the fox and started chirping. Fox picked it up again and tossed it in the air and watched it land. Mouse was hurt as it tried to move, but fox put its paws on it and flipped it in the air again. 

It was just playing with it like a young predator would. So I drove further up, slowly, turned around and watched from a distance to see if he was going eat it. Kept going with it so I got closer and fox took off a short distance but still kept watching where the mouse was. I believe it was dead at that point. The fox looked healthy, so it couldn't be too hungry.  So I drove off slowly, fox came back to same spot.

I thought it was odd it would just do that to its prey. I didn't interfere as I didn't want to deny its meal. But the mouse did what it could do.

Foxes do like to play!

many years ago, I lived on the outskirts of Fonthill, and a neighbour had a yellow lab dog with a home in a garden shed and a small chain link fence run attached to it.  Many nights a fox would come and run circles around the shed and dog run repeatedly for a while just to irritate the dog.

That's the bonus side of fishing , especially when the skunks appear ....had many skunk days ! 

The fox can  be so foxy .... they obviously have a sadistic charm about them .....

During my last Gibby trip , as I was intently watching my rod , I heard a little splash about 8 ft. to my left , then something breaking the surface at the shore line among the rocks . I got up to see a "thing" swimming towards me ....looked like a big mud puppy by the way it was swimming .....then as it got within 2 ft. of my feet , it bobbed it's head up right under my pole .....looked right at me as if to say ..."what are you doing here" ? ...then the little brown mink slowly swam off , meandering along the shore rocks looking for it's next snack ......made my white stripe day !   :)

Archived