Deeper units

Tyler0420

6 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Hey Ty, a buddy of mine is using the deeper Chirp plus. He’s not a hardcore angler but more of a weekend cottage kinda guy but he likes it so far. He’s showed me some of the features and it looks pretty cool. 

That’s the one I’d be looking to get. Maybe I’ll try and see if anyone has them for a black Friday sale. 

5 hours ago, Chrisb said:

How is a 'deeper' sonar different from a normal sonar? Mine can go to at least 200' and lake Erie is not even 90' where I fish.

The deeper unit is a castable sonar unit. It’s connects to your phone. 

The first ones they made was before phones and it had a receiver that you used on shore. I think it was only about 2" square and you could clamp it to your rod. Probably not as detailed as the screen on your phone.

• 5 weeks later...

If you guys were to cast out a $400 unit what kind of line would you use?

im thinking 20lb mono depending how heavy the unit is or maybe I’ll try 30lb. I’m kinda starting to hate braid. It’s failed me too many times now.  Ya maybe my fault for having a nick/crack in the top eye but I feel like mono wouldn’t have cut off. Or if I cast out and the bail arm closes the mono has stretch in it to absorb the sudden stop. I’ll be using a 12’6” rod with a big pit reel so line size isn’t really an issue. 
what would you use?

20-30 lb Braid. Use it for most all fishing, except spring crappie.

I have never had braid fail me, not counting snags.

I do check the 5 or 6 feet of line near the leader or lure

after a number of casts, with a few tugs, broke in my hands.

But with this system, as I mentioned, braid has never

failed me with a fish on.

Looks like good unit for ice fishing , if the battery will last in the cold temps.

I tried a new shore spot a while back , tested the area for depth using my handy dandy telescoping rod and float with a sinker heavy enough to sink the float . Keep adjusting the float stop until the float floats and measure the depth . ....about a 2 dollar bill set up .   .......it was too shallow there !  .....B)

Tyler ...I check the guides on my rods often to look for cracks, or line burns .  I have fixed some by using very fine sand paper or replaced ones that appeared cracked .....usually just the end eye . A crack will destroy braid quickly . Braid line has also caused a line burn at the bail arm which I sanded and covered with epoxy . Braid is very flimsy in the wind and often gets caught around the end of the rod ,   😠  ,  hence I use mono mostly now.

11 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Tyler.  How is your braid failing?   Is it the knots?

I always use palomar knot with braid. It’s probably more operator error over the braid failing. I’ve  had break offs from a cracked top eye plus storing the rod in my truck probably nicked the line and weakened it.  Braid is strong until one small thing happens, mono is more forgiving.  I don’t have to worry about snags or fighting fish as only the floating unit will be attached to the line.   Braid also sinks which could pull the unit under a bit.  Also get wind knots with braid. I could be casting this thing up to 100yards. 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Braid is very flimsy in the wind and often gets caught around the end of the rod ,   😠  ,  hence I use mono mostly now.

I used braid for years and just last year I’ve switched to mono.  I even started bottom bouncing with it. Ya not the best feeling but at least not getting cut off on sharp rocks or zebra mussels.  

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I used braid for years and just last year I’ve switched to mono.  I even started bottom bouncing with it. Ya not the best feeling but at least not getting cut off on sharp rocks or zebra mussels.  

I used to fish the 12 Mile using tubes with braid line and kept losing them on the rocky bottom . Went back to mono with better success .  I have also tried using  3 ft. of 30# floro carb with braid and it helped but found I needed to go 8-10' with the leader since the banks are very steep at most spots .

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Looks like good unit for ice fishing , if the battery will last in the cold temps.

I tried a new shore spot a while back , tested the area for depth using my handy dandy telescoping rod and float with a sinker heavy enough to sink the float . Keep adjusting the float stop until the float floats and measure the depth . ....about a 2 dollar bill set up .   .......it was too shallow there !  .....B)

I use a similar setup from shore but I have a sliding weight and add a float to the end of the line. Cast out and start reeling till the float goes to the bottom against the weight. Now with control release line maybe 2 feet at a time until the float comes to the surface. Not only does this work to measure the depth you can drag the weight on the bottom to find out what type of bottom there is. If you find a weed edge and want to concentrate on that area leave your float system out as a marker. I use a sliding swivel for the weight to remove the sinker when transporting or changing sizes and a swivel at the end of the line to attach different size floats. I have used this system for years and works well.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I use a similar setup from shore but I have a sliding weight and add a float to the end of the line. Cast out and start reeling till the float goes to the bottom against the weight. Now with control release line maybe 2 feet at a time until the float comes to the surface. Not only does this work to measure the depth you can drag the weight on the bottom to find out what type of bottom there is. If you find a weed edge and want to concentrate on that area leave your float system out as a marker. I use a sliding swivel for the weight to remove the sinker when transporting or changing sizes and a swivel at the end of the line to attach different size floats. I have used this system for years and works well.

Same float setup I’ve used.  Works well

10 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Same float setup I’ve used.  Works well

Will that work well in deep water , e.g., the rec.canal --30ft .in the middle ?  I have some large heavy floats when using chub baits at the rec. I just measured off 30 ft.from the hook and put my small stopper there .  I have caught a few big perch from that depth while fishing for pike .  Fun to see that float disappear in  30 fow.      🔴 :Gonefishing: 

Archived