Decew rescue ?

smerchly

The barriers/fences are up ...no parking anywhere near the falls , and people have still been climbing the gorge ?  When they put the road signs up I was pi$$ed because I parked at a few spots to access Moody . It's a long walk with gear now to get there .....and I haven't fished there at all this year .

It looks like there have been some people trespassing and ignoring the gates, fences and signs ( as usual) and the police are involved with the issue at this time . It was mentioned that charges may be laid with fines and possible rescue fees . 

...a brief statement from 411 Niagara .....

St. Catharines fire along with Police and EMS are all responding to the area behind the Morningstar Mill on Decew Road (Decew Falls) for reports of a possible high angle / water rescue.

2 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

I think they found a body there yesterday????,

That's what I read too Jack . Someone spotted a body in the water ....don't know yet if it was found above or below the falls .  We used to go there this time of the year to take pictures of the autumn colours at the gorge/falls .

I think the body was below the falls based on some things I read.

If you know your way around that area, you can still get to the falls coming in from the various paths that exist that start nowhere near the mill.  Pretty sure they fenced off the simple access areas only.

We used to walk to the lower falls from the flatts (40-50 yrs ago)  ...climbing over many fallen trees and slippery rocks to catch small trout that were stocked nearby .

Never heard anything more about the body they found , maybe a suicide ....or just slipped and fell from the crest of the falls .  Sad either way....

• 4 weeks later...

This is the same crap has been happening in Hamilton.  I grew up there hiking all the falls and gorges as kids and we NEVER heard of a 'rope rescue'!!??  Now that Hamilton advertised itself as the city of waterfalls there is a steady flow of citiots from Sauga/TO and there is a 1-2 rope rescues every weekend.  What the hell is wrong with people? 

"Sport's" today has morphed into "extreme" sports .. gotta do wheelies on bikes , back flips on skate boards , or climbing "challenging" cliffs , etc.  Many like to watch the "brutal" sports like bare fist kick boxing ...the more blood the better , and we can't have a hockey game without some brawny brawls and spilled blood . What a violent society we have become ... 

It keeps the hospitals busy at least ....   :unsure:

On 11/29/2020 at 9:12 PM, smerchly said:

"Sport's" today has morphed into "extreme" sports .. gotta do wheelies on bikes , back flips on skate boards , or climbing "challenging" cliffs , etc.  Many like to watch the "brutal" sports like bare fist kick boxing ...the more blood the better , and we can't have a hockey game without some brawny brawls and spilled blood . What a violent society we have become ... 

It keeps the hospitals busy at least ....   :unsure:

This is Canada. You leave our hockey brawls alone.  I might have to send Mr Hockey/Mr Elbow after you.

Gordie was a good guy , a clean checker . Those were the days hockey was ......hockey  . Big bucks runs the show ...

The wimmins play better hockey now  !!    🏒

Archived