On the subject of pannies.....

bigugli

This old Grump wasn't letting a little weather get in the way today. All the crops are done. Spent the morning baking and canning. Time for some well deserved R & R. Off to the Welland R. to one of my sweet spot. Had rain, sun and lots of wind.Had lots of hungry fish over 3 1/2 hours of fishing.  A few bass, a pike, 2 bite offs ,and a hundred or so pannies like these. Man do I love the fall feeding frenzy. Biggest was just shy of 10"

001.JPG

002.JPG

Nice haul Bruce !  It's a blast catching those gills with light gear . ... fun using floats for them too .  Good eats !  "Fresh water tilapia"

Some people prefer them over crappies . 

9 hours ago, cplummer said:

You can eat bluegills??  
never heard of anyone eating them before. Ever.

they taste ok?

That's why thousands of Americans head to the Kawarthas every summer with a  200 fish limit.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

That's why thousands of Americans head to the Kawarthas every summer with a  200 fish limit.

Huge difference though between water quality in the Kawarthas and the Welland River! I personally wouldnt eat anything from the river, considering how much farm runoff empties into it.

3 hours ago, genec said:

Huge difference though between water quality in the Kawarthas and the Welland River! I personally wouldnt eat anything from the river, considering how much farm runoff empties into it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is just as much farm runoff through the kawarthas as there is in the rest of southern Ontario. Just look at all those corn and seed fields you drive past and all that pesticide used on them. Being a farmer I also know a lot of farmers that way.

Between farm runoff and manufacturing  effluent , there's not much water that is "clean" .Many factories are gone now , like the 5 or 6 local paper mills in Thorold that polluted Niagara .  I do not trust fish from stores anymore than our local fish . Even Lake Simcoe has sewage problems and chemicals in Lake St.John , etc etc.  Is our food any better ?  We are a chemicalized society . There's probably more chemicals in one cigarette than all of those gills .

I guess the key word is "moderation" ....  for all fish and meats ......  looking to catch a perch dinner soon....  :Gonefishing:

Good luck with the hunt Scott .  We always took our fishing rods and had fish to eat  at our camps ,and many times we had fresh moose liver as well  (surf'n turf).  Retired 28 years and still kickin a$$....   :deadhorse:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived