Nanticoke - Lake Erie

Guest Markus

I had the pleasure of 2 buddies joining me for smallie fish at Nanticoke yesterday. One gentleman was down visiting from Moose Factory (450kms north of Timmins) and the other from Ottawa.

I've been waiting for some cooler evenings....we need them to get this ridiculously high lake temp down. The big smallies tend to school up and move in together and it's always a waiting game. There's always plenty of little guys (1-2 pounds) at Nanticoke, but t we were hoping to find some pigs.

It took us sometime to figure out the big fellas. We went through a huge assortment of baits until we finally found what they wanted...Gulp Leeches. The smaller fish would crush cranks, tubes and spinners, but the big girls weren't active. A single hook pierced through the head of the Gulp Leech and a large split shot 16 inches up the line did the trick. Slow presentation.

thumb_Floats%20Smallie.jpgthumb_Markus%20Bass%202.jpgthumb_Bunks%20Big%20Smallie1.jpg

Samllmouth fishing at Nanticoke will only improve as the lake temp gets cooler. Always a fun time there. Get out there and enjoy it if you get the chance.

Those are nice fish. Just as a side note its actually illegal to fish at the plant up to 150 yards from shore. Its all owned by the plant and they have under water equipment there. They dont stop anybody but it is actually out of bounds.

Max they have thier signs posted and boundries marked. They also patrol it regularly.

Great spot to fish through the week, but it can get pretty busy there on the weekend.

Archived