Portaloozie Today 11/8/20

smerchly

What a BEAUTY day to be OUT !!  The carp were calling me , so I started to get some chum bait ready ....NO cream corn in the house !  So I got the blender out , poured in some maize , bread , flour , and oats ...had to add a little milk to make a chum ball stick together ....worked great !  My first 2 spots were thick with oak leaves on the water so I found a nice new swim I never tried before .....chummed , fished , chummed ,fished ....not a touch in over 4 hours . I talked to some other carpers down the bank and they got 2 carp with about 7 lines out ....one was a mirror which was caught twice before lol . They knew by the odd scale pattern .

Verrrrry slow day , thought the carp would be feasting but they were'nt cooperating ...   😩

Hey, nice to hear that at least SOMEone was catching, Smerch!  And a Mirror, none the less.  Very cool.

Earlier this year, we had exceptionally clear water at the harbour one day and, although I didn't catch any, I did catch a few with the camera.  Unfortunately there is no perspective for their size, but they were big and "wowing" the passersby.    

IMG_0180 (2).JPGIMG_0183 (2).JPG

It was a beauty day to be out....hard pressed to get something decent though....all I could entice was a bunch of small sunnies and perch....even got a shiner that was bigger than a few of the perch.....kept it on in hopes of a pike...but no go.....I'm going to try and get out a couple times coming up....need to find some decent minnows 

Might be able to join you a morning this week if you get out Bill....can have the car Wednesday morning..otherwise wifeypoo needs it for work rest of the week 

4 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Hey, nice to hear that at least SOMEone was catching, Smerch!  And a Mirror, none the less.  Very cool.

Earlier this year, we had exceptionally clear water at the harbour one day and, although I didn't catch any, I did catch a few with the camera.  Unfortunately there is no perspective for their size, but they were big and "wowing" the passersby.    

IMG_0180 (2).JPGIMG_0183 (2).JPG

Nice shots.  Was that during the spawn? You can usually watch the carp around pier 8 all summer. 

Great shots Mike ,  I got a few shots a few years back at Quinte when carp and gar were spawning near the ramp . It's hard to get good shots like yours when the sun is reflecting back ....If I was using my old 35mm Canon AT1 , my polarizing filter would have helped get a better shot . (still have that camera and all lenses....)

Twice this year I dropped my maize in front of shore cruising carp and went 2 for 2   B)

Thanks Smerch.  I shoot with a Canon too.

And those shots were after the spawn, Tyler, but they were at Pier 8, as you mentioned.  Lots of changes happening down there with all the construction, eh.  I'll be nice to have our Pier back, as it's such a great  mid to late summer carping spot, with plenty of room for everyone!

6 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Thanks Smerch.  I shoot with a Canon too.

And those shots were after the spawn, Tyler, but they were at Pier 8, as you mentioned.  Lots of changes happening down there with all the construction, eh.  I'll be nice to have our Pier back, as it's such a great  mid to late summer carping spot, with plenty of room for everyone!

Ya I’m hoping the pier will still be fishable after the construction.  

25 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Ya, if the "artist renderings" of the area are anything to go by, it looks like it will be fishable.  Of course, artist renderings never show "no fishing" signs.  Fingers crossed. 

According to all the earlier discussions and consultations, the construction is supposed to improve fishing access. Then again government is famous for lying or going back on it's word.

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

They may make a designated fishing only area, but the rest most likely to favour boaters/dockers.

Agree !  Many people are buying boats , large and small as fishing spots are crammed with more & more boats . I can see both sides of Port Dal. harbour crammed solid with moored boats . Docking fees will help cover the $30 million + for those vessels.

Parking space will be a concern , more so on the west side .

On 11/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, Darryl L said:

I cant beleive how many people I know who live near the water and don't fish, or have beautiful wooded acreage and dont hunt. 

Seen that with cottage owners too , just enjoying the atmosphere , water , cruising , water skiing etc .

Port was very busy today , like a regular summer day ....guys fishing wherever they can find a spot to cast a line ....noticed boats fishing at the 4 falls each trip there....not sure what the rules are for that..

Once again the carp were not cooperative ...not a ripple on the line again . One other guy was tossing lures and told me a huge ski was caught there 5 days ago  (36 lbs) ...caught on a minnow under a float .  I think it's time to do likewise , small baitfish are breaking the surface so the pike might be on the prowl .....

here's a quick Y.Tube vid with a guy fighting a ski by the tail at the 4 falls .... saw boats after salmon in there too ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaqMFVC2zI

28 minutes ago, мормышка said:

That's what I love about fishing the harbour. You never know what you'll hook into.

Ya ,  I think I hooked a sturgeon by the tail or fin there .

Back again yesterday ...once again no carp to be had . So I did some snooping from the Rennie side , took a bunch of pictures . First one is a long shot ,  still bringing in large boulders on the east bank ....

Second shot is a guy fishing the fast current at the hydro fence . There are posts here from way back pertaining to this area and how fast the water can rise up when they suddenly open another gate at the dam . This guy is wading in the current ....one step , or slip back and he could be over his head in super fast water . Unbelievable ! ....all for a freaking fish ??  :wacko:

East wall rocks.jpg

Port dam angler.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya wading knee deep probably isn’t the safest at that spot. 

For true ....the rocks are slimy and it drops off quickly there ...add the sudden blast of water from a gate opening and it could be the end of ones fishing days ....and may cause the spot to be fenced . Our fishing spots are gradually disappearing  at Port as parking spots disappear and traffic goes into grid lock.....  thinking of a pike fish there tomorrow .

Smerchly, speaking of Rennie, I was there this morning on the condo side. I see lots of brush clearing, but new bushes/trees put up. I wonder if that section will become "private" as opposed to public access? I see the condos have their small fence which would be their property.

Archived