Snow Tires

smerchly

Well today looks like the day .....I install my 8 snow tires .....a lot of heavy work for this old codger .....

And sometimes I wonder why I bought 8 snow tires and rims .... Ninety five percent of the time the tires are running on snowless roads !

The insurance gives a 5% discount on rates ... I would save more if they gave a very low mileage rate since we average less than 5 km on each vehicle .

So , I'll spend the day huffin & puffin and save nearly $200 to have them installed by others . ( But I do feel safer when they're on)    

Let it snow let it snow ......   🌨️

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Make sure you’re torquing them smerch. Snow tires definitely help in the winter. 

For sure Tyler , I have a large torque wrench and set it at 100 lbs ....then do a re-torque after driving a while .

Some wear on the bare pavement but saves wear on the summer tires .  They should last me another 40 years ....

Came in for a coffee break ....my good neighbour just gave me some home baked cookies to accompany my coffee   🥰

It doesn't hurt mention that about annual kms as well as telling them you put your snow tires on to insurance, Smerchly.

I will try my vehicle without snow tires for the first time in a while, just to see. I don't really plan on driving outside the area this winter because my ice fishing will be local.

Put snow tires on the jeep 4 years back and have never looked  back. I thought I had great traction on the 4X4 before. As well I keep them on all year, not worried about tire noise.

The CRV and Astro also have them on full time.....

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

I will try my vehicle without snow tires for the first time in a while, just to see.

The next thing the insurance co's will say ...no snows , no pay !  Being retired and don't need to drive when the roads are bad , my snow tires don't get much intended usage . With 2 sets of tires I should be good to go for another decade .

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:

Put snow tires on the jeep 4 years back and have never looked  back. I thought I had great traction on the 4X4 before. As well I keep them on all year, not worried about tire noise.

My snows are not noisy Dan . If my vehicles were 4 wheel or all wheel drive I would probably run snows all year even if they are softer and wear a little faster and don't see much hwy driving ... 

2 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Just have to worry about the softerer snow tires hardening (compressing) over the summer. I did that one summer and by winter they were just like all seasons.

2 minutes ago, мормышка said:

Just have to worry about the softerer snow tires hardening (compressing) over the summer. I did that one summer and by winter they were just like all seasons.

Was that when you were on the 401 and QEW quite a bit a few years back...Intense highway driving might cause that to happen perhaps.

Not a concern for me. Tires still soft, and it's the aggressive tread that does the job in the snow and mud.

48 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Was that when you were on the 401 and QEW quite a bit a few years back...Intense highway driving might cause that to happen perhaps.

Not a concern for me. Tires still soft, and it's the aggressive tread that does the job in the snow and mud.

Not me. :dunno:

I noticed mine last winter doing that on my Mercedes. That the snow tires lost their magic because I drove them through summer. When soft compound heats up it will compress, making it harder (like a hockey puck). That softness is what is important in cold temps. That's part of the grip.

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

Not me. :dunno:

I noticed mine last winter doing that on my Mercedes. That the snow tires lost their magic because I drove them through summer. When soft compound heats up it will compress, making it harder (like a hockey puck). That softness is what is important in cold temps. That's part of the grip.

I have noticed that anything rubber- nylon -plastic breaks down and gets brittle if left constantly in the sun . Those who keep their cars in a garage will get more time out of their rubber products and windshield wipers which cost so damn much now .

11 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

BF Goodrich K02 LT285/65R20. 

I also run the ko2 s. I drive a 2wd pickup and they are great in the snow. I even drove them to florida last winter pulling a camper trailer through snow  and mountains on the way down with no problems

2 hours ago, RJR said:

I also run the ko2 s. I drive a 2wd pickup and they are great in the snow. I even drove them to florida last winter pulling a camper trailer through snow  and mountains on the way down with no problems

Funny ....you go "south" for the winter and drive through snow lol  .  I had a 2 wd pickup a few years ago and had to add weight in the bed for more traction . ...just had regular Michelin Defender radials . That old 2002 Ford is sitting 2 doors from me now.

Got all 8 tires changed yesterday ...a little stiff today  !  Need to hire a strong kid @ $20 per hr !  B)

I put snow tires on my wife's SUV Acura RDX with Michelin's and the Passat TDI with Bridgestone's.  Both vehicles ride amazing on snow covered roads.  

I have a Dodge Ram and I just run the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 and they are fine as well.   

Archived