Lousy Forecast for Gun Hunt!!

genec

Tomorrow is the start of the second 6-day gun hunt, and what a miserable forecast - precip. amounts for week: 90%, 80%, 80%, 70%, 70%, and 70%!!!
I’m glad I have a camo pauncho I can put over my camo 2-piece rainsuit - just might end up needing my chest waders before the week is over!

1 hour ago, genec said:

Tomorrow is the start of the second 6-day gun hunt, and what a miserable forecast - precip. amounts for week: 90%, 80%, 80%, 70%, 70%, and 70%!!!
I’m glad I have a camo pauncho I can put over my camo 2-piece rainsuit - just might end up needing my chest waders before the week is 

Not sure what I like better, hunting in shorts and T-shirt in hot weather like we did in Novemeber, or sitting In the rain? Both not ideal,  that's for sure. Good luck  to you! 

6 hours ago, genec said:

I’m glad I have a camo pauncho I can put over my camo 2-piece rainsuit - just might end up needing my chest waders before the week is over!

7 days... Don't forget your orange.

Im not in the controlled hunt this year ....i usually go to goderich with a group of 6 but guys got too busy and we cancelled...in the past ive seen and actually shot a deer bedded down under cedars....i rarely see them up and walkimg aroind in a steady rain but if its a sprinkle it dont bother them and i believe its the barometric pressure that tells them when unstable weather is coming and to bed down but seeing that they are in rut they may still move...good luck guys! .... my bow season had been...$×÷+!...lost the only buck i shot after a bad shoulder hit and a 7 hour track job i lost blood in a swampy area😩

23 hours ago, genec said:

Yes pretty miserable looking week for sure, don't mind being either wet or cold, but wet and cold is never fun! Hopefully you apply your hunting skills more affectively this week than I did during the November hunt!

Murphy was against me this morning!

Got in very quietly and set up in south end of big bush before daylight, overlooking a wide creek valley in bush where the deer usually walk.

It got light, and I found out I had set up right underneath a whole wack of at least 15 roosting turkeys!!  They spotted me, and it was a 20 second turkey panic - birds putting, alarm calls, and birds panickly flying in all directions!

I figured with all that racket there wouldn't be any deer coming there for a long while, so packed up and went across the road to the 3 hay fields leading to the trees along the Grand River, figuring I'd set up along the tree line.

Got to the 3rd field, and rousted 16 more turkeys, plus ending up spooking 4 deer before I had a chance to spot them.

At that point I gave up.  Will try again tomorrow morning, as snow is forecast.

Deer and other wildlife still have to eat regardless of the weather. Heavy rain, snow or winds might curtail their activity for a day or two but if the weather is extended you can be sure that they will be once again searching for food.

52 minutes ago, genec said:

Got in very quietly and set up in south end of big bush before daylight, overlooking a wide creek valley in bush where the deer usually walk.

It got light, and I found out I had set up right underneath a whole wack of at least 15 roosting turkeys!!  They spotted me, and it was a 20 second turkey panic - birds putting, alarm calls, and birds panickly flying in all directions!

I figured with all that racket there wouldn't be any deer coming there for a long while, so packed up and went across the road to the 3 hay fields leading to the trees along the Grand River, figuring I'd set up along the tree line.

Got to the 3rd field, and rousted 16 more turkeys, plus ending up spooking 4 deer before I had a chance to spot them.

I guess you know where to turkey hunt now. 

On 11/30/2020 at 3:43 PM, genec said:

Was out for squirrel on wednesday and almost stepped on a turkey.  Seen hundreds of the things deer hunting this year, no deer though...

Archived