Shore Perchin

smerchly

I picked up cousin Bob for a few hrs. of perch fishing today ....armed with a bucket of fresh minnows and float rods . Boy... was it blowing out there !!  We found a spot with our backs to the wind ....a wind break would have been nice !   I tried a new rig with a small silver spinner and red /white beads above the hook . The rig worked well as the chop on the water kept the spinner moving to attract the fish . We caught 2 doz. perch , kept 19 for the frying pan , and one tipped the scale at 12"  ( measured it on my 15" screen ......)   :Gonefishing:

On my pute I can click on the photo to enlarge it .....     :)

Recperch.jpg

Although the wind was at mach 1 which made it easier to toss the floats 200 m if needed .....the bite was steady and the small chop on the water kept the spinner/minnow moving . ....looks like deja vue out there today ! 

I was double hooking my minnows which allowed me to catch 4 perch on one minnow that was very dead ,  and the long shank Aberdeen hook usually hooked the fish in the top lip for easy  finger removal .

The pike seem to have disappeared , we usually went there just to catch those toothy critters . My perch rig is pike ready with a 12 inch 30# floro carb leader . 

I made up a couple more rigs today .....  using 30# floro carb in case a pike wants to join the feast . This simple rig also is used for ice fishing ,both perch and pike . ...only pennies to make . I use a vise to hold the hook while tying the knots with the heavy line , then melt the ends with a lighter ....never had a knot slip .

Perch Rig.jpg

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I made up a couple more rigs today .....  using 30# floro carb in case a pike wants to join the feast . This simple rig also is used for ice fishing ,both perch and pike . ...only pennies to make . I use a vise to hold the hook while tying the knots with the heavy line , then melt the ends with a lighter ....never had a knot slip .

Perch Rig.jpg

Looking good smerch

Kid has a lot of wrinkles for a 4 year old  ,ha !  Actually , I had to squeeze the tail and pull on the fish to make it hit the 12 on the rule .....  I can get away with it as I have seniority ( close to senility )    :crazy:

Picked up cuz.Bob today for some more shore perching at the Rec ....water level dropped a foot and it was super clear . The bite was very slow and the sun penetrated deeply into the "pristine" clear water .....only caught 6 with 4 keepers .

We tried a few spots , ended up trying shallower water at Dain city but not a sniff there . Tomorrow looks good , may try Dalhousie for pike/perch  for a change ........

This fellow was off in the distance cruising for a snack with it's head down most of the time ...got a long shot of it , nice to see them still hanging out ......

loon.jpg

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Picked up cuz.Bob today for some more shore perching at the Rec ....water level dropped a foot and it was super clear . The bite was very slow and the sun penetrated deeply into the "pristine" clear water .....only caught 6 with 4 keepers .

We tried a few spots , ended up trying shallower water at Dain city but not a sniff there . Tomorrow looks good , may try Dalhousie for pike/perch  for a change ........

This fellow was off in the distance cruising for a snack with it's head down most of the time ...got a long shot of it , nice to see them still hanging out ......

loon.jpg

No skunk that’s good. Hopefully a couple more tomorrow to add to the meal. 

Yes , another 2 nice ones will be enough for a meal for two . Tomorrow looks too good to pass it up .

btw ......has anyone "looked" at that birdie in the water ??

13 hours ago, salmonman said:

It is a winter plumage Common Loon.  Way to go with the perch!

Salmonman

This loon was having a feast at Jordan Harbour  a few years ago ....it was I.D. as a juvenile .....

Juvenile  loon.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 10:51 PM, smerchly said:

Perch Rig.jpg

That's a pretty neat idea.

Archived