No words for this....but i'm sure i'll think of some worthy ones

Bass-turd

Pulled from deep water on a hot day, fizzed or not, bounced around in a live well, kept in a bag for weigh in, too much handling, poor holding conditions, too much stress on fish and become unreleaseable even if they are still alive.

Thankfully, in his statement, he owned up to it (as if he had a choice). Other than the gross waste of fish, its a giant smear on ethical fishermen everywhere and more ammo for "antis" and animal rights groups.

This has more to do with the organizer than the anglers who caught the fish.  Not saying all the fish were in good condition when brought to the tournament scales.  But whoever was in charge didn't put enough priority in keeping the fish alive. Too many fish in small tanks and not enough aeration.  Once a few go belly up, it's too late.

The really despicable thing is that it happened both days.  You'd think they might have tried to prevent the mortality on day 2.  Mr Woo dropped the ball big time.  And he somehow got off lucky. $9000?  Sounds sneaky, deceptive and fraudulent.  "I'll just toss the evidence in the dumpster" is the mindset of someone who knows they will be in trouble if they get caught.

Everybody who brought in a fish contributed to the situation. As it is the fisherman's responsibility not to let fish spoil. You can read pages 12 - 13 of the Ontario Fishing Regulations. 

Every time you go out to fish you should prepare to keep (in season, according to your card) or pass on the fish you catch to somebody who wants it, particularly gill bleeders.

Going forward, ensure a better system, don't do it on a hot day, or limit it to one (big) fish per person for that day.

I understand none of it was intentional, but more irresponsible, lazy and careless.

What a contrast between the bass and carp tournaments where both species are intended to be released  to live another day ......  If fish are to be released,  they should be released immediately . I think it's about time all tournaments considered other ways to run tournaments , like fishing in one general area and having an 'official weigh boat" zip over to weigh "one fish" at a time & record it on the spot  ,,,,everyone has a phone now....just one option I can think of now ....  Sad Sad.....

I don't understand all the outrage. It's not like numbers of released fish don't die at every single tournament being held. Perhaps not quite to the same degree at this, but anyone who thinks 100% of them survive is horribly, horribly naive.

Some derbies have a very low rate of fish mortality , like ice fishing tournies . Going back about 20years ago  re. the picture I posted about the Yamaha derby at Keswick , all fish that were weighed, in a large tent , were immediately released down a hole in front of the catcher . Any fish that was hooked badly (bleeding) was gutted and given away for the table . There was approx. 4500 anglers there with one $ 20 hole each to fish , but you could move to a vacant hole if you wanted  . It was very shallow ...I could watch my minnow moving about 4 feet on bottom !  My pike was released within 5 minutes after catching it .

We have "camp derbies " at the Mohawk Bay Park and almost all fish end up on the grill , some fresh caught could be released ....

We need more rules from the MNR on all tournaments and that includes salmon and trout ..they seem to be very lax on this issue . I quit the trout derbies after seeing a 10 lb. bow hanging on a hook to be weighed with blood dripping from the fish , then released to "live" another.... hour ?  

I've never fished in an actual tournament.  I have bought tickets in the Orillia Perch Derby and the Salmon derby back in the 70's but never had the inclination to try  a tournament. Never really thought about it but I guess the rules should be looked at for future contests. Smerch has a great idea about an official weigh-in boat. That's something that should not be too hard to arrange and would cut out the bad publicity of anglers standing on a podium with dead or near dead fish to weigh. A little tongue in cheek but could you imagine if us hunters did the same thing? All line up in the morning on our atvs bristling with firearms, on the horn we blast off into the woods to return at 4:00 with all our dead animals to put on display to the cheers of the crowd.

As far as blaming the anglers goes, I won't do it.  I agree that the whole pro-tourney scene might not be the best for the individual fisheries. But most tournament anglers are very aware of the penalties to bringing dead fish to the scales.  For one thing, you can't weigh dead fish.  On top of that, they are penalized for each dead fish that is part of their limit.   Five 5 pounders aren't very impressive when one of them is dead. 25 pounds becomes 19 in a matter of seconds. It's true that there is a percentage of fish that don't survive "release". But for the most part, well run tournaments have very low mortality rates.  In my opinion this was a big time event being run by a fool.  This guy was responsible for making sure that the weighed live fish were released in a condition that would lead to very high survival rates.  He put forth an attempt that might count as bare minimum.  He completely blew it.  The mature bass population in the st Lawrence river suffered a significant cull at the hands of BEN WOO.

I'd like to know why the Shimano live release boat wasn't utilized for this tournament.  I'd also like to know why tournaments are allowed to be run without MNR biologists on hand to examine and care for fish prior to release.

I think another idea would be to limit the bag size for tournaments. Instead of the five heaviest fish you catch to bring in why not make it the three heaviest. In a 100 boat tournament where every boat brings in 5 fish, thats 500 total. In a 3 bag limit its only 300, 200 fish get to swim away where they were caught, much better numbers for the fishery and I dont think tournaments anglers would be turned off by this idea. I wish the MNR would enforce both this and the weigh boat station ideas.

9 minutes ago, titanium77 said:

I'd like to know why the Shimano live release boat wasn't utilized for this tournament.  I'd also like to know why tournaments are allowed to be run without MNR biologists on hand to examine and care for fish prior to release.

He had access to a release boat and chose not to use it.  Also, on the subject of biologists, many larger tournaments, like the Can-Am walleye tournament, have staff on hand to oversee fish handling.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

He had access to a release boat and chose not to use it.  Also, on the subject of biologists, many larger tournaments, like the Can-Am walleye tournament, have staff on hand to oversee fish handling

Ben dropped the ball.  $9000 in fines is a complete joke.

This guy makes a living through the fishing industry. Remember the "Castrol edge" on fishin Canada? Yep that's Ben.

https://www.nationalprostaff.com/users/56/ben-woo

Archived