Upper Niagara Walleye

Hammer67

I’m hoping to get out in the next few days in the area between the bridges. Never been before is the launch at Nichols any good? Have a 20 ft boat. Also, are live minnows better than plastic? I hear jigging is the preferred technique in that area. 
Thanks, 

1 hour ago, hammer73 said:

I’m hoping to get out in the next few days in the area between the bridges. Never been before is the launch at Nichols any good? Have a 20 ft boat. Also, are live minnows better than plastic? I hear jigging is the preferred technique in that area. 
Thanks, 

I’ve never jigged for walleye on the upper but I’m sure it’s the same as the Detroit river. We used finesse minnows on jig heads. Boat control is key, try keeping you line as vertical as possible. 

2 hours ago, hammer73 said:

Thanks, 

Most people that launch into the upper dont usually use Nichols.  There are no docks there, and some big rocks to avoid if you have never been there before. There are a few launches along that stretch to the north you can use that may be easier. As far as jigging, the vast majority of people I have seen while there all use finesse baits like Tyler said, or paddletails which I had good success with last year . 3/4 oz jig heads seem to work well, some using 1oz. Good luck. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone having any luck shore fishing the upper near the peace bridge or nichols? Now that hunting season is officially over I'm hoping to get out for some walleye/trout.  Have heard people are out there,  but haven't heard if they are catching much. People are saying the upper has been very slow and dirty water . 

Archived