Winterizing Boat/motor

Darryl L

Just wondering where everyone takes there boats and motors to get winterized? I called Bass pro and they charge $259 plus tax for their winterizing package. Not sure if that's average or expensive? As I am a new boater was looking for opinions from seasoned people on this site. Thanks guys and girls ......Darryl 

I'd be hesitant in letting bass pro touch my boat if it was for free. I have heard/seen too many hack jobs done by them. I have an I/O so more involved and expensive than O/B, I alternate between doing it myself and having it professionally done. Last year I did it myself this year I had Mobile Marine in Grimsby do it, can't say he's cheap but seems to know what he's doing. $80 per hour + parts, fluid etc., seems about the going rate. 

How much really needs to be done to an outboard motor ?  All I have ever done to my Merc.50 EFI four stroke is drain the gear oil and refill with new oil , and run some Sea Foam/gas through it and leave the engine primed until spring . Every year it starts instantly , like a car without stalling ...ready to go .  The engine oil/filter/plugs can wait until I have enough running hours to warrant changing ...in the nice weather .

You got it smerch!

I basically put some Sta-Bil in the gas And run the motor out of gas.  Drain the gear oil and replace . Fog the cylinders And that’s as far as the motor goes. I always give it a good clean, take the batteries out and charge them in a nice warm dry spot. Like you said- sparkies, filter and impeller etc. wait until I’ve put enough use on it. With 2 young kids under the age of 3 it rarely gets used anymore anyways but the garage sure looks good with the rig in it 🤣

Is it better to run system dry or keep system primed???? Both of course with a gas treatment in fuel.running dry risking any rubber in system ie hoses,carb/injector rubber and fuel pump rubber drying out or primed any forementioned rubbers soaking in potentially harmful fuel

I've always left fuel in my 115.I just use a quality stabilizer. My kicker gets run out of fuel, stabilized as well.  Then she goes in the heated garage. The boat is stored off site  ina buddy's shop. I fog both engines as well.  Also do gear oil every fall

My boat sits in the driveway , both batteries in an unheated garage (except for a 60 W bulb under my minnow tank) :santa:

I charge them every 3-4 weeks to keep them happy ...

I really don't know if Sea Foam is the best additive for the 89  gas I have been running . I also do the same with the lawnmower , power washer, and snow blower .  Fogging would probably help keep everything slick ....

On 12/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, Darryl L said:

Just wondering where everyone takes there boats and motors to get winterized? I called Bass pro and they charge $259 plus tax for their winterizing package. Not sure if that's average or expensive? As I am a new boater was looking for opinions from seasoned people on this site. 

259 is not out of line for winterizing 

• 4 weeks later...

For many years I have done the winterizing myself on motors ranging from small to large 2 stroke outboards and various large 8 cylinder GMC and Ford blocks. Never had a problem and it was quite easy. My present rig is fairly new with both main motor and kicker being 4 strokes. So far, I have had the dealer where I bought it (Bay City, Hamilton) do the winterizing. They charge me $246 for the big motor and $103 for the kicker (plus taxes) This includes changing the oil and filters, the gear oil, fuel treatment, seal kits and complete lubrication of all components. The service is excellent, since I am coming from Niagara I make an appt., bring the boat in, grab breakfast at the A&W down the street and by then it is pretty much ready. It gives me peace of mind, I know I could do it cheaper myself but not that much cheaper. The list of lubricants is pretty long and they are all Mercury products. The actual labour charges are $115 and $75 and to me it is well worth it. Saves me the fuss and muss. I store it in a garage, not heated but still warmer than outside, and remove the starting battery. Through the winter, I put it on a trickle charger once a month. I used to do the same with the big deep cycle batteries but they told me not to. They said to fully charge them with the onboard charger, disconnect them but it is fine to leave them in the boat.  Don't bother charging them again until Spring when you re-connect. Also, like most of you, I always stored my batteries on a shelf or board to keep the concrete from sucking the charge out of them (I still do). This is no longer necessary and hasn't been for 30 years with the improvements to the battery case and components. They also say there is no benefit in storing them in a warm basement and leaving them in the garage is fine. Another thing I learned this year, being new to four strokes, is not to disconnect the fuel line on my kicker and run it dry after each use like I always did with 2 strokes. My only experience with Bass Pro working on my boat was when I bought a new fishfinder and their deal included free installation. It was only a swap but the lines were different as well as the transducer. They did an excellent job. Sorry I've rambled but with Covid I am very bored and my other option is to help the wife take down the Christmas decorations.

I am a newer boat owner so my knowledge of motors is next to nothing compared to most guys on here. I also thought the couple hundred bucks was well worth it. They gave me a two or three page report of everything they did, checked,.fixed, lubed etc. They also keep a running file for things that  need to be done and looked at next year so In my mind it was well worth the money. 

Archived