Help me spend my hard earned money

I am in need of assistance in spending my hard earned money - LOL.  Since I have zero confidence of there being any equipment when it comes time to put the boat in the water I am buying everything I need to outfit my boat over the winter - as I find it.  When I sold my last boat it went with everything on it so I am pretty much starting from scratch again - minus my tackle and personal rods.

I'm in the process of outfitting my new fishing boat and I want to get some trolling rods.  I just bought a 2017 Renegade 168DC and it has two 3 foot Cannon rails down both gunnels.  On this rail I am mounting 4 x Scotty Power Lock rod holders using the Scotty 340 track adapters.  I presently have one dipsey rod set up - 9' MH rod with a Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reel.  I am looking at running planer boards on Erie - so I am also looking for advice on these as well. 

But right now I want to know what you are using for trolling rods on Erie?  I did buy another two Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reels but I am not sure what rods I should get - some guys say medium and others say MH.  Whatever I get I would like to use the same rods on my planer boards and my downriggers when I get a pair of them - can that even be done??

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on this so far?   

Thanks in advance.

Boat1.JPG

Thanks I a very happy with it.  It sat for 1 year unused (the seller's wife had a set of twins summer)........be sold it to me a year later.  Very happy I found it but now I need to outfit it.  Last July I could not find an anchor (15lbs) anywhere and ended up buying one from Amazon - same price as Cdn Tire and delivered to my door the next day for free.  After that I could not find rod holders or anything - so I vowed to buy it as I see it this winter so I am not scrambling around in the summer looking for stuff and paying ridiculous prices.

Beautiful boat, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. When I purchased my boat in 2014 I outfitted it with a pair of Canon Magnum 5T electric downriggers on Canon tracks and for rods I used Bass Pro Shop LPD86M 8'6" medium action equipped with Strata Max-20 reels with line counters and spooled with 20lb mono. Each rod and reel with line came to just over $100. I know this is not high quality but for six years they have functioned perfectly for walleye on Erie and I am still using the original line on both downriggers and reels. I do not use planer boards so I can't say how this set-up would work with them.

41  you need to "snoop" at other boat rigs . When I'm at Quinte where many other boats are tied at the docks , I  take notice of their gear , rigs and boat knots .  The guys are more than willing to tell me anything I want to know , like the best place locally to buy boat or trailer supplies , etc . 

...oh yes , about that anchor .....I made a "cheapie" ....filled a large coffee can with cement with eye bolt ...weighed in at 15 lbs !   B)

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

41  you need to "snoop" at other boat rigs . When I'm at Quinte where many other boats are tied at the docks , I  take notice of their gear , rigs and boat knots .  The guys are more than willing to tell me anything I want to know , like the best place locally to buy boat or trailer supplies , etc . 

...oh yes , about that anchor .....I made a "cheapie" ....filled a large coffee can with cement with eye bolt ...weighed in at 15 lbs !   B)

I have a couple of guys that I lean on for their opinion but yes you are right I need to snoop more when at boat launches.  On my precious boat (Sylvan Explorer 1600 c/w 40Hp EFI) I just flatlined using bait casters.  

I ran into more issues than they are worth when dealing with BPC/Cabelas/SAIL - messed up store policies, utter lack of customer service, and lack of knowledge.  When I was setting up my boat last July I could not even find rod holders, anchors, planer boards, or trolling rod selection because of COVID.  I bought what I needed to from Amazon to get me on the water and everything else I buy locally from Grimsby Tackle and Fishing World.  

That is why I am starting now and buying what I need because I have ZERO confidence that certain items will be available when it is time to get my boat in the water. 

I run combination of dipsys and jets off boards using same rods from both. Medium heavy Shimano Talora 9'   I have downriggers however I don't care to use them. Planer board mast is a Big Jon. I have a removable minnkota  mount for the trolling motor and purchased a separate mounting plate, bolted a piece of oak plank cut to fit the top of the plate and the mast fitting is attached to it so I can quickly install or remove the mast and switch out the trolling motor by just sliding out the retaining hardware. Love Ram rod holders too. In a perfect world I would like to be able to run the trolling motor and boards at the same time for better boat control in the wind, but would have to have a more elaborate mount/mounts, also use the boat as family pleasure boat as well so don't want anything permanent in the way.  Electric mast reels for the boards would be the Cats azz too!

Sounds like a good setup Surf and Turf. That's a good idea for the planer board mast especially since I never use the electric for trolling on Erie or Ontario, the pro-kicker handles that. I use my boat as a family craft as well but when fishing I always use the downriggers simply because I am usually by myself and find them much easier to handle then a pair of planing boards.

The local tackle shops around niagara always have a spring sale for all kinds of good stuff. I got most of my gear at Erie  Tracker. Great prices during the sale,beats bps hands down. And knowledgeable staff too. I use 9-dipsry rods for my outside board rods and rigger rods for my inside downrigger setup. I find the dipsy rods are good for boards as they are quite sensitive.  You can see when you get hits on them. If the rod is too stiff, I find you cant tell if you had a hit or even if you have a fish on. With the smaller walleye,it happens quite often

23 hours ago, 410001661 said:

I am in need of assistance in spending my hard earned money - LOL.  Since I have zero confidence of there being any equipment when it comes time to put the boat in the water I am buying everything I need to outfit my boat over the winter - as I find it.  When I sold my last boat it went with everything on it so I am pretty much starting from scratch again - minus my tackle and personal rods.

I'm in the process of outfitting my new fishing boat and I want to get some trolling rods.  I just bought a 2017 Renegade 168DC and it has two 3 foot Cannon rails down both gunnels.  On this rail I am mounting 4 x Scotty Power Lock rod holders using the Scotty 340 track adapters.  I presently have one dipsey rod set up - 9' MH rod with a Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reel.  I am looking at running planer boards on Erie - so I am also looking for advice on these as well. 

But right now I want to know what you are using for trolling rods on Erie?  I did buy another two Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reels but I am not sure what rods I should get - some guys say medium and others say MH.  Whatever I get I would like to use the same rods on my planer boards and my downriggers when I get a pair of them - can that even be done??

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on this so far?   

Thanks in advance.

Boat1.JPG

Yes  you can use the same rods. No problem at all

Archived