12 -12-2020

smerchly

I can't remember the days of the week sometimes ....a thing about retirement ....take notice Bubba ! ha !

As we approach mid December , my snow shovel and snow blower are on "stand by" , and my ice fishing gear is waiting earnestly to test the hard water .

As I was watering the dog tonight I took the opportunity to check for dew worms ....YES !! ...they are "sunning " themselves in the darkness all over the yard !

Think I'll grab a dozen for Monday's perch and "whatevers" ...  Got a new spot to try .......    :Gonefishing:  ( but did fish there over 60 years ago )  

...Well ,I'm back ( I know it's Sat. night & everyone is at the bar )..and it took no time to get a dozen ...and Maggie my dog was trying to catch a few for me !

I throw worms into a pale when I see them.  Or I throw the leftovers if I ever buy a dozen into a pale.  I water the pale and feed it banana peels and lettuce.  I just dumped it and there are over 50 worms on it.  Babies and adults!   Neat stuff.  

How large a pail do you use and how much do you put in it . I have a few  5 gal pails used for wine (many years ago) with lids that I drilled small air holes for ventilation .

Sometimes I have a dozen or more foam worm boxes I picked up at fishing spots . I used one last night , added some dirt for the 13 worms . They will get bathed tomorrow !  :Gonefishing:

Oh geez.  Can u tell I had been drinking when I typed that?  Wrong pale and wrong auto correct.  Must have still had pale ale on the brain. 

Anyhow, it’s just a regular size bucket. More like 1 gallon.  It’s filled with about 4 inches of dirt.  It has drainage/breathing holes on the bottom. They are really small.  I add dirt now and then.  I only feed the pail vegetables (especially banana peels) and water it every few days making sure the soil is moist. It lives inside, which my wife hates. 

13 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Oh geez.  Can u tell I had been drinking when I typed that?  Wrong pale and wrong auto correct.  Must have still had pale ale on the brain. 

HA !  You can quickly edit a word here but it takes lonnnnnger to correct the pale ale ailment .....some strong coffee maybe ?

Thanks for the info Bocco , I have a "fruit cellar" in this old "50's" house that stays at about 40^F. during the winter and , as everyone knows ,the smerch loves bananas !     🍌

12 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I was just outback and noticed all the worms on the lawn. Last December I believe we were picking worms also. 

Advantages to global warming ? By the years 2222  ....Dec 22 , at 8:22 pm  (  2222-12-22-2222 hrs ) tons of those crawlers  !  ....We may have our own banana trees in the yard !   And we will be catching 10 pound "smallies " in January !  

It's ok , I'm a Pisces (dreamer)   :tease:

Archived