Underwater camera

Surf and Turf

Hey guys, I've felt a sudden "need" to add an underwater camera to the fishing arsenal. 

Does anyone have any experience as to how well they work especially in deeper water like out in Lake Erie? Both open water and through the ice.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated?

I have an older ,black and white Aquaview camera. Its fun to be able to see whats down there and watch fish refusing to bite! Ive bounced a small jig off a perchs head and they just look at it then swim away! The novelty wears off fairly quick,but its good to actually see whats down there! Once at the aquaduct i had a big musky open his mouth and grab the camera which is shaped and painted as a bluegill!  Fun!

Mine is the same as Gil, now it sits in my basement collecting dust.

The new ones are better and colored, make sure you get 100' cable, my old AquaView has only 50' cable, Black&White tube. On a few ice fishing bus trips it rescued a lot of fishing rods, It keeps kids amused, young and older.😀

As Gil says it's a learning tool, watching fish and how they react to your bait.

15 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Good question as I'm also thinking of buying a toy I really don't need 🙃

Yes, you can never have too many toys!

7 hours ago, Gil said:

I have an older ,black and white Aquaview camera. Its fun to be able to see whats down there and watch fish refusing to bite! Ive bounced a small jig off a perchs head and they just look at it then swim away! The novelty wears off fairly quick,but its good to actually see whats down there! Once at the aquaduct i had a big musky open his mouth and grab the camera which is shaped and painted as a bluegill!  Fun!

Thats what I'm thinking, more curiosity to see what's going on "down there" That would have been cool to see the musky attack!

4 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Mine is the same as Gil, now it sits in my basement collecting dust.

The new ones are better and colored, make sure you get 100' cable, my old AquaView has only 50' cable, Black&White tube. On a few ice fishing bus trips it rescued a lot of fishing rods, It keeps kids amused, young and older.😀

As Gil says it's a learning tool, watching fish and how they react to your bait.

Was looking at 75 foot cable, but maybe I should think bigger. 

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Marcum makes some nice cameras. 

Yes was looking at either that or an Aquaview. The Aquaview are a bit less expensive or cheaper, not sure which yet?

14 hours ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

There is a new Aquaview out, it is four cameras in one , 360 degree view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLWVuV3_b90

That looks like the "cats ass" of cameras

20 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Was looking at 75 foot cable, but maybe I should think bigger. 

Yes I would look for a 100' cable

10' or less is from your unit to where camera enters the water, so you lose 10' or less there.

Archived