Outdoor fishing and new "stay-at-home" rules

antonio77

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YEP !     :Gonefishing:      don't pee in the water , fish can catch  corn - painitis .....

Fish solo , keep away from my holes .....and check the ice well before fishing !!  

This is a hot topic on a few different websites. Technically No, fishing is not an essential reason to leave your home unless it is somehow deemed "exercise", which is permitted.   The real question is will Police or Bylaw actually enforce it. If the boat ramps get closed again that seems more of a regional decision. I will be out fishing until someone comes and tells me I cant . Once again, the government has made things even more confusing and vague than ever. 

Just in from OFAH  

COVID-19 Outdoor Restrictions Update

Earlier this week the Ontario government announced a second province-wide State-of-Emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It will begin at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday (January 14) and includes a stay-at-home directive for all Ontarians. That has many anglers and hunters wondering what that means for their hunting and fishing plans this winter.

The OFAH reached out to government officials to seek additional clarity and confirmed that fishing and hunting activities remain permitted, so long as they are consistent with public health guidelines.

You can find out more details at www.ofah.org/covid19.

The OFAH is committed to sharing updates as we receive them to ensure anglers and hunters are well informed. Updates will be shared through OFAH e-news, posted to social media and will be made available through the many COVID-19 resource pages on our website.

Stay Safe. Stay Strong.

The entire OFAH team.

http://ofah.convio.net/site/PixelServer?j=DuYo4r8_gb_CHdHy7rHBeg

Cop:  "So, like, how's it goin', eh?" 
Me:  "Oh beauty." 
Cop: "So, like, you live in Hamilton. Whatcha doin' way up here?" 
Me: "I am exercising and going ice fishing." 
Cop: "Like, you're supposed to stay at home, cuz, like, there's a stay-at-home order, eh? So, like, I think I have to write you a ticket, unless you can come up with a viable explanation.....?" 
Me:  {crickets}
Me: "Would you like a donut?" 

Word from the horse's mouth/premier's office.. There is no ban from the province on fishing and hunting. The ban is on travelling outside your area to do so.. That said, that does not preclude local government from placing their own restrictions,

Can I fish the Rec ?   If not ....I can park in a friends driveway and scoot down to the ice ..... 

or it may be easier to hop a plane and fish in Florida ....  

Guys I love to fish just like everyone else, but the only way to somewhat control this disease is to stay home.  I understand that is difficult to do but our health care is close to collapsing.  Yes I love to fish but I will do my part and stay home.  You can find loop holes or keep saying to yourself that Ford makes no sense but let’s use common sense.  Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

17 hours ago, bigugli said:

Word from the horse's mouth/premier's office.. There is no ban from the province on fishing and hunting. The ban is on travelling outside your area to do so.. That said, that does not preclude local government from placing their own restrictions,

There's no travel bans at all. You can drive to James Bay without breaking any laws. The only laws we need concern ourselves with are the social gathering laws and any municipal bylaws for whee we are. It has been explicitely stated by the Ontario Gov't that fishing is allowed, provided you follow the social gathering requirements.

12 hours ago, deetch said:

Guys I love to fish just like everyone else, but the only way to somewhat control this disease is to stay home.  I understand that is difficult to do but our health care is close to collapsing.  Yes I love to fish but I will do my part and stay home.  You can find loop holes or keep saying to yourself that Ford makes no sense but let’s use common sense.  Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

So what's the difference between me staying at home, or driving my truck to a parking lots, pulling my gear on to the ice and fishing for a few hours then returning home in terms of spread of the virus. It's and easy answer... nothing. Social distancing is the intent of this bylaw, not locking people in their houses. The complete intent of this is to keep people as separated as possible. You may feel like staying in your house is the best way to stay separated. For me it's to not be close to anybody else. Whether it be in my house or on the middle of a frozen lake, you got to keep em separated.

13 hours ago, deetch said:

but let’s use common sense

Hey ,  that's my line !  lol

I think there's more questions than answers about this c19-20-21 ..... flu .It has mutated several times already , but the brand spanking new vacs will solve the problem eh ?  

I was in Walmart last week and YES  , they have the arrows in each lane to "advise" us to follow them , but many don't know what those little arrows mean !  Then you have to wait for someone who is filling their cart with 100 cans of pork'n beans ....you either wait or pass them with 6" of "social distance"  lol !!  The stores need to cut  back on customer numbers and open the stores for longer hours , not LESS hours.

Compare the shopping to a few people outdoors with a fishing pole in their hand instead of a shopping cart . 

YES .....common sense IS the key word .

Good Fishing guys 'n gals  !    :Gonefishing:.......and that's my rant from the "drive through"..... aka Tim Dennis   B) 

Emergency Alerts  "Stay Home" on your phones ..

1 hour ago, corey said:

There's no travel bans at all. You can drive to James Bay without breaking any laws. The only laws we need concern ourselves with are the social gathering laws and any municipal bylaws for whee we are. It has been explicitely stated by the Ontario Gov't that fishing is allowed, provided you follow the social gathering requirements.

absolutely correct

6 hours ago, corey said:

It is not a law. It is an "emergency order'. You can interpret it however you will. I'm simply passing along the word from the premier's office.

I got a newspaper in my mail box yesterday , called The Epoch Times . I looked it over quickly to see it has been around for about 20 years . I was pleasantly surprised to see it was not the same old left wing propaganda crap the big papers and global news media spews out . We just need to "read between the lines" of the establishment news and know who is backing them . (Facebook rings a bell)  Censorship in the news is alive and well .....for now !   :ph34r: 

Mopmb....nice to have some sane opposition to balance our thoughts . ....

If fishing is not allowed during the state of emergency, then why is the government still selling fishing licenses? You can purchase a license on line right now as we speak....If you purchased a fishing license for 2021,  please present the license to any law officer that questions your practice, unless off course you are fishing areas closed by the municipalities, no different then driving a car. This would include Port D construction areas for people that are trespassing.  Bottom line is, we have to stand up for our rights and freedom, no one is going get sick enjoying the outdoors, social distancing from people 1000 meters away...

The 800lb gorilla forgot about the impact on mental health and the impact on parents that have to stay at home with their kids to help with remote learning. IMO, pointless learning, waste of time, having your 5 and 7 year old in front of an Ipad for 8 hours.

That said, check this report from our friends across the river from NY (BTW: enjoy), one of the states that had more covid 19 cases then our entire country:

Niagara Falls USA Weekly Fishing Report for January 13, 2021

Fishing has slowed down in the lower Niagara River according to Lisa Drabczyk with Creek Road Bait and Tackle in Lewiston as of Monday. As of Tuesday, Mike Ziehm of Niagara Falls reports muddy water and increasingly fast water due to Lake Erie winds and it may take a day or two to settle down. Live bait had been the hot ticket for boats this week, fished off 3-way rigs. Shore guys in the gorge were having the best luck on jigs with plastic baits, split tail minnows and No. 4 and No. 5 spinners. Sacs and beads are still working, too. Top colors depend on the conditions. On Monday it was pink sacs. According to Capt. Ryan O’Neill of Orchard Park, water was crystal clear prior to the wind. It was a little slower over the weekend due to heavy boat traffic and the clear water. But Monday was incredible for O’Neill, boating 20-plus fish by noon along Artpark. There were no boats around. Chartreuse egg sacks and beads were the preferred baits. O’Neill switched to small and light gear with a #12 hook and 6-pound test fluorocarbon leader. Then he headed to the Bar for lakers for a change in pace. He finished off the morning boating 5 fish in 6 drifts on the flats in 18-20 feet of water. He was using minnows with a pink or yellow 10 mm bead pegged 2 inches above the hook. Mike Rzucidlo of Niagara Falls reports he switched to jigs the last 2 times out with the clear water. The move produced 3 to 5 trout a day on white-silver 1/4-ounce jigs. The visibility on Monday was 6-8 feet in Devil’s Hole. When things do start to clear again, the shore fishermen will have the first advantage.

For Lake Ontario, Karen Evarts at The Boat Doctors reports limited fishing pressure at Burt Dam and 18 Mile Creek, but a few steelhead were being reported on wax worms and spikes. Smaller streams were holding fish, but water levels were starting to come down. Some snow is in the forecast for this week, but it should not be more than an inch or two. Night temperatures have been cold, but some daytime temperatures could reach 40 degrees this week. Try fishing in the afternoon when things warm up.

9 hours ago, steelshady said:

please present the license to any law officer that questions your practice,

We "seasoned" members have no "papers" to present ...  We will have to ask the officials to let us fish on compassionate grounds .....  

Good post steelshady ! 

Our friends south of the border are very fortunate to have that weekly fishing report !

OK. Fishing is allowed, in fact it is explicitly listed as an allowed activity on the ontario.ca website. There are no travle restrictions. Nobody in gov't is going to risk violating our chart right to mobility. As individuals the only things we need to worry about is exceeding a social distancing limit, which at this time is 5. We also have to worry about being at a location/facility that is closed. Lastly we need to worry about municipal bylaws for anywhere we roam.

All of the other restrictions are for business's not for individuals.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, knightfisher said:

Cop:  "So, like, how's it goin', eh?" 
Me:  "Oh beauty." 
Cop: "So, like, you live in Hamilton. Whatcha doin' way up here?" 
Me: "I am exercising and going ice fishing." 
Cop: "Like, you're supposed to stay at home, cuz, like, there's a stay-at-home order, eh? So, like, I think I have to write you a ticket, unless you can come up with a viable explanation.....?" 
Me:  {crickets}

HAHAHAH...Perfect.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, knightfisher said:

Back in the day, a comment like that would get you a ride on the "Cherry Beach Express"

Archived