cell phone help

Chrisb

I have decided I need a cell phone. The cheapest thing out there just so I can use it in an emergency. Flip phone, pay as you go is probably good enough. I might even go for two, since my sister also does not have one. Do they make plans cheaper for two phones on one plan than two separate phones?

Guide me where to go to find one or where not to go.

Thanks.

I have the Alcatel  One Touch flip phone , bought at 711 Lake St . about 4 years ago . First year cost , phone included , was $125  (if memory is still intact) . That gave me 100 minutes for the year and you need to remember to renew the minutes before the expiry date in order to keep minutes remaining . I have it with me for emergencies or calling home or asking knightfisher how many pike so far lol !  

For the past 2 years I have topped up my phone for $20 . That is pretty cheap a year !  

The rates, etc. may have changed and they have other plans as well ..... Good luck !

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/deal?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3Y-ABhCnARIsAKYDH7vAMYOy5sB5v1jrrr8STo5nyNTiJbbZwMSQyu6kH94gAWg9Ntw_swoaAikREALw_wcB

7/11 no longer carries the Alcatel flip phone, but you can order one below and use 7/11 speakout for the minutes.

As Smerch (can't seem to catch a pike :tease:) said, the minutes you buy are good for a year. Many other plans require you to top up every month.

https://ca.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-go-flip/

Just now, genec said:

My wife and I both use 7/11 phones.

its about the cheapest way to go, and they piggyback on the Rogers network, so you get very good Canada coverage.  We bought iPhone 5s at Factory Direct, then just bought 7/11 SIM cards for them.  You can top up your minutes whenever you want over the internet, and they are good for 1 year if you dont use your phone very much.

Just now, genec said:

7/11 has a phone for $55 if you buy a $50 card.

Factory Direct has phones starting at $69-$79.

shop around online.

You just need to find phones that are unlocked, so you can install a 7/11 SIM card in it.

There are a ton of second hand phone places in the region, google up cellphone repairs, most of those shops sell one.

Careful with Best Buy (and Walmart) as their websites allow third parties to sell phones as well and I have read some horror stories about anything being purchased from the third parties through them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am using a Samsung S9 or 10 can't remember, either way I get unlimited text and 10gbs of data, and I am paying like 75 a month.

5 hours ago, marth11 said:

I am using a Samsung S9 or 10 can't remember, either way I get unlimited text and 10gbs of data, and I am paying like 75 a month.

That's a little over the top for my simple needs Joe .  My cost for last year was $28 ,and I topped it up with $20 for this year . I used it yesterday for the first time in weeks  .....and I actually dialed my home number  lol !! 

I guess that's why they cancelled the plan I have .....not making much $$$  from me !  Hope my wee phone lasts for another 10 years ...:blahblah1:

On 1/31/2021 at 1:15 PM, Chrisb said:

I went to 711 to find 365 day plan and all I could find was 30 day plans.

Do you have any new links.

Chris, you didnt READ my previous posts!  You buy  MINUTES, and they are good for 365 DAYS - how many minutes you buy is up to you.  They offer 3 choices ..,$25, $50, or $100.  Which one of these you choose is based upon how much you think you will use the cell phone.  You will just need to periodically log into your account to check and see how much money is left on your account, and re-top it up whenever it gets low.  

Archived