.22 air rifle for coyote?

Double_Dk

Yesterday, I had a coyote come in and take 2 chickens from my yard.  He hung around a while looking for another chance but I has able to lock away the rest of the flock before any more were lost. 

I do live outside the urban boundary, and I know my rights to protect livestock.  However, across the street from me is a urban sub division.

I know if I shoot my standard .22, the loudness of the shot may get a few phonecalls. 

So I'm thinking a high powered CO2 .22

Anyone have any experience using these on coyote?

I'd say no on the pellet gun, as wouldn't carry enough energy, but agree on the low velocity(sub-sonic) .22's  I use CCI CB caps for grouse when moose hunting, no louder than a pellet gun and accurate out to 50 yards.  They won't cycle out of semi auto but cycle perfect in my Browning lever.

If you use a pellet gun or .22 you are going to injure the coyote which will attract a hell of a lot more negative attention than a proper gun for this. Injuring an animal could possibly bring charges. Discharging an appropriate firearm may get a visit from the popo but they won't charge you. I wouldn't want to be the guy charged with animal cruelty because I injured an animal and it died in the someone's backyard across the street.

Do as you wish but make sure you can put the animal down with a single shot.

36 minutes ago, corey said:

If you use a pellet gun or .22 you are going to injure the coyote which will attract a hell of a lot more negative attention than a proper gun for this. Injuring an animal could possibly bring charges. Discharging an appropriate firearm may get a visit from the popo but they won't charge you. I wouldn't want to be the guy charged with animal cruelty because I injured an animal and it died in the someone's backyard across the street.

Do as you wish but make sure you can put the animal down with a single shot.

Agreed.  I wouldn't take the shot unless I was sure of it. 

Never want to shoot twice, that's for sure.  

I know your allowed to protect your property and animals from coyotes...i would just use a crossbow seeing as your close to a subdivision...still shoot out to 50 yards and i wouldnt worry about wounding it...as per within your rights to.protect your animals and property...it wont run towards the subdivision either...just my two cents

5 hours ago, fishingking said:

I know your allowed to protect your property and animals from coyotes...i would just use a crossbow seeing as your close to a subdivision...still shoot out to 50 yards and i wouldnt worry about wounding it...as per within your rights to.protect your animals and property...it wont run towards the subdivision either...just my two cents

Funny, last night I said to my wife I should just use the compound bow.  

With the snowfall, there was tons of tracks.  

2 hours ago, Double_Dk said:

Funny, last night I said to my wife I should just use the compound bow.  

With the snowfall, there was tons of tracks.  

Yes even better...thats what i shoot most of the time actually.good luck ! Kill that chicken stealin piece of $!;+

4 hours ago, corey said:

I vote for a shotgun with a slug. Go big or go home, even though you are home.

In a shotgun number 4 buckshot is best out to 40 yards. I wouldn't recommend a 22 rimfire especially the sub sonic quiet rounds as a humane choice , a CO2 air rifle is ridiculous. 

23 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Has anyone ate coyotes?

I Deer hunt with a guy who has eaten them. He says "meat is meat". Not my cup of tea, I can't stand the smell of them................................Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Sub sonic .22 is not enough to shoot a coyote and be humane. As for a compound bow the coyote will still run in most cases. If you are going to dispatch the coyote do it with a proper round. A wounded coyote is much more dangerous than a healthy coyote. A wounded coyote will also try to find shelter near a good food source as in the subdivision across the road. You are either legal to discharge a firearm or your not. Even with the argument of protecting your land/animals you still can’t discharge a firearm if it’s not legal to hunt that particular piece of land. Shoot it with the proper caliber or don’t shoot it at all. How many acres do you have?

You mentioned you are across the road from a subdivision. I don’t know where you live but in most areas the local townships have adopted a no discharge within 450 metres of any planned subdivision. Although a firearm is usually based on over 500 FPS your municipality will include all firearms even under 500 FPS so that means pellet guns, compound and crossbows. Just saying....be careful because laws are definitely not in favour of us hunters anymore and a discharge of a firearm is not a light charge to deal with. Maybe building a more secure enclosure for your chickens might be your only option. Yes you have a right to protect livestock but must do so legally. Doesn’t mean if I live in town and have chickens I can shoot a coyote if he eats my chickens. I guess what I am trying to say is you are either legal or not to dispatch a coyote on your property. If you are you should not even question a small caliber. Your property also must be classed as farmland to use the protecting of livestock theory.

12 hours ago, Double_Dk said:

I'm on 1.5 acres, with 40 acres of farm directly behind me.

He was around a ton when he got the 2, but now no tracks no nothing.  

Oh well... Be ready for the next time. 

Definitely can’t even shoot a pellet gun from your property. In my area it was minimum 10 acres and now it was increased to 18.1 acres. Your only hope is to get permission and shoot from the farm behind you. You can’t shoot from 1.5 acres even if you have permission to hunt the land behind you. But check with your local bylaws to be certain or a confiscation of your firearms and a $5000 fine is sure to follow. It is getting tougher to shoot on our own property as hunters as the developers grab more agricultural land and turn it to residential. 

Archived