Ice fishing Martindale pond?

Ted

Hi, are we able to go ice fishing in martindale pond?   I’ve never been there before, just looking if there is access to get on the ice or a public boat lunch. And what species are in there? 

Thanks,

Tight lines 

You’d be targeting perch and pike in there. Check out rennie park and cross Henley bridge there should be ice access. No clue how the ice is though so stay safe. There could be other places to access but I’m not too familiar with the area. 

Tyler ....were you there today ?  I was there about 1 pm & a hydro truck was blocking the lane way ,and I could see the open water spots from the main road . The ice at the back side is also no good .... Henley Is. road has been blocked for weeks now ...still doing work there .  I should have taken my float rod !  .........or carp gear !

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Tyler ....were you there today ?  I was there about 1 pm & a hydro truck was blocking the lane way ,and I could see the open water spots from the main road . The ice at the back side is also no good .... Henley Is. road has been blocked for weeks now ...still doing work there .  I should have taken my float rod !  .........or carp gear !

Smerch we must of just missed each other, I thought you might of been there. Ya that hydro truck was there when i was.  I was working in Niagara and stopped by on the way back to town. No fishing for me just an ice report for you guys. 
Day shift roofing and afternoons at the factory.  No time for fishing today :(

Your pictures show the current line from the 12 Mile  (slush) . I have marked out those spots for the ice anglers to know where to be extra careful until there at least 6 inches of ice on the bay. It's  over 10 ft. deep there . 

Just saw on another site there may be a possible rescue in progress in port colborne. Bystanders saw some ice collapse and an Ice hut go into water. They haven't been able to confirm whether or not anyone was inside when it went under. Be safe everyone . 

16 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

They haven't been able to confirm whether or not anyone was inside when it went under. Be safe everyone . 

Person found safe ...was packing up when hut broke through ....good news !

29 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Just saw on another site there may be a possible rescue in progress in port colborne. Bystanders saw some ice collapse and an Ice hut go into water. They haven't been able to confirm whether or not anyone was inside when it went under. Be safe everyone . 

Was this at sugarloaf marina?

11 hours ago, fishingking said:

Was this at sugarloaf marina?

All I read was at barber road and second concession road in the canal. I'm not familiar with that area.  

Also re:  Ice Fishing Martindale ... bring a spud with you, it is needed.  If you are unsure of where the current movements are, best to not fish it at the current time.  There are a lot of areas that will develop a skim of ice on the surface, but with how the current moves there will be nothing but a skim of ice (unless we get some -20 nights), but even at that those areas will be very hit and miss.  You may look out and go HEY SOMEONE IS OUT THERE IT MUST BE SAFE, but some of the locals know the waters very well and know where to access to reach some of the more desirable ice spots (might not be as simple as a straight line out).

1 hour ago, Snags said:

I think I saw on a facebook update that the guy was shutting down when someone looked out on the ice and saw a collapsed hut or that it was missing.

I think that happened to me as well as I was fishing the pond side of Jordan near the hwy bridge . I was sitting on my pail & I believe someone passing by on the QEW thought I was half way through the ice !!   :o   . Then I saw the police vehicles parked near the bridge checking me out . I made sure I got up and walked a few feet !   :bravo:

Some people call in as they aren't sure if one is in trouble on the ice ..... 

I've heard reports of people skating and enjoying fishing locally this weekend, but as you guys have pointed out -the ice was NOT ready wednesday. With upcoming warming temps, I would pack extra caution if venturing out...espeically without a lot of experience on the local waters :)

29 minutes ago, stkittsjigger said:

Saw a couple huts out very close to shore fishing shallow water. Open water over most of pond. People were ice skating at Charles daily yesterday.

At least it's very shallow there but you could get stuck in mud at the bottom  !   I'm still waiting for local spots to thicken up , will have to check out a few tomorrow on my travels as I get  a case of my  monthly Lakeport Red !  B) 

Always good to even PM a couple of you guys for sure....on a bit of advice and conditions....everyone who loves the hardwater is chomping at the bit.....safety first for sure....as many of you mention....bring a spud....float suit......rope.....a piece of 2×4...or a broom handle could also help save your life....forbid an accident happens ....

.take for example also that just because you may have seen some pics on the rec of a bunch of people out icing some perch...doesnt mean it's safe tomorrow.....and keep in mind also folks when you are looking for reports or advice that some may not jump right up and dish out what you are looking for..for safety reasons as well...

I know I would hate feeling  responsible knowing that I turned someone on to a spot only to find out that they went through 

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

I know I would hate feeling  responsible knowing that I turned someone on to a spot only to find out that they went through

Exactly Jack !   The ice varies according to current flow , and I know where most currents run at my fishing holes . My spud can tell me quickly if the ice is thin in some spots....and it can also be used to get you out if you fall in . Ice picks are cheap & easy to make and also can help get you out of the drink .  

Some mild temps & rain on the way , then very cold again .....play it safe boyz'n girls !   :Gonefishing:

Archived