Up to 3 rods

Tyler0420

40 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Time to start buying more gear. 
I would like to get:

1-2 rods

2reels

New rod pod

That would outfit me with 3rod combos and 1 spod rod combo. 
I guess I’ll need another rod bag. 

I have 2 bait runners and one 12' rod , and I have used my 8'  custom salmon rod  at some spots . I remember Lorne Morley using an 8' rod with his ambassador reel and schooled me well ....It will be great  to use different baits and rigs at the same time !  I'm sure we have have "looooonger" reports when the time comes ! 

I will also pick up another carp rod with a different curve rating .  It will be an exciting change to carping !!   :bb2:  

Thanks Ty ....when I click on the video a small window pops up at the bottom left corner saying  "Live in 3 hours...Feb.23, 5:00 p.m."  

I'll check it out at 5 ..... Is that correct ?

Well , it was definitely worth watching . I paused it a couple times and it continued on normally . No definite date opening unless it's good to go now ...They covered the rules adequately ....use more than one rod ...plant base baits only ! There's more to do,   like classify carp as a game fish , with seasons and bag limits , etc........

There were lots of laughs on the show and good advise . One caller asked " what to do if all 3 rods get a fish on" .Angelo didn't have a good answer and laughed "scream like a kid "  It would be hectic for sure !!  

A good point was made ....if the bite is hot , then use one rod !! I will use 2 rods at some spots but not all spots where I need to keep the carp from going into rough spots and get hung up and lose them .

They also commented on how the carp tournaments will bring people from Europe , etc. here and bring big bucks to the tourist industry and also said how serious carp anglers use mats and cradles , etc. to keep the fish unharmed , and  show respect for the environment  and leaving their  swims (spots) clean .   That's a big plus for carp fishing !  

This is great news ,not only for carp anglers , but for our fishery  and tourism !  I will soon be visiting a local tackle shop ( ma or pa ) for another rod , alarm and other goodies .

Bring it on !!!!   :clapping:

As was stated in the video ,  carp fishing could get to be a very big business in Ontario . 

I was looking on line today trying to find info from local stores , big and small ,  to see how much carp gear they sell ....nothing much at all it seems ....not even from bass pro . 

If carp angling gets to be like the bass tournaments , etc. the bait/tackle shops could make large bucks and they will need to get stocked up on carp gear . There isn't much choice in buying rods and reels in Niagara ....maybe someone will open a shop dedicated to carp fishing ....so many products involved in this sport .....

I will be looking for another 12' rod with a lighter curve ( 2.75 ) to accompany my present rod.....maybe some place in Hamilton ? 

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

As was stated in the video ,  carp fishing could get to be a very big business in Ontario . 

I was looking on line today trying to find info from local stores , big and small ,  to see how much carp gear they sell ....nothing much at all it seems ....not even from bass pro . 

If carp angling gets to be like the bass tournaments , etc. the bait/tackle shops could make large bucks and they will need to get stocked up on carp gear . There isn't much choice in buying rods and reels in Niagara ....maybe someone will open a shop dedicated to carp fishing ....so many products involved in this sport .....

I will be looking for another 12' rod with a lighter curve ( 2.75 ) to accompany my present rod.....maybe some place in Hamilton ? 

Smerch you can’t hold it first but carpkit online will have everything you need and their pretty much local.  You felt my 2.75. I’ll be putting a order in soon. Just gotta take inventory first. 

On 2/25/2021 at 12:13 AM, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch you can’t hold it first but carpkit online will have everything you need and their pretty much local.  You felt my 2.75. I’ll be putting a order in soon. Just gotta take inventory first. 

I checked out Carpkit and they do have a LOT of carp gear . I see many 10' rods and some 13' rods both low and high end  prices .  When it comes to rods I  like to check out the "feel" ....if the "Feelgood" add a reel to it for balance . If I can't find a 2.75  locally I may order from them .  I have used my 8' salmon rod with both my Symetre 4000 and Stratic 4000 in tight spots ...they handle the carp nicely , just need to back off the drag ......

We have talked about braid verses mono on our carp rods before and now we can try both at the same time , and as I am looking to buy a softer rod ,  braid would work better (me thinks) 

So ........wouldn't other rods work too , using braids ?  Like a 13 '  stream rod with more backbone ?  Or a salmon rod like my 8' Fenwick custom glass salmon rod for tight spots ?  It is still very lively , for it's age .....

We have more options now ,  so it will be fun to "experiment" as I  like to do .   And , I will be putting more time in this year chasing down those "weed carp"      

weed monkey.png

41 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

3 rods,6 spools we can try just about anything out there now. 

I watched a video last night about grass carp baits (Ontario)..... low and behold  ,  they were using puffed corn .(veggie) which floats .They chummed the area first with a pail of particle bait ( can corn ,bird seed , oats ,rabbit pellets, scent) 

Maybe the MNR  will lend me some hot tips where to find them ??  I will share the bounty .....B)

short vid.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-atRPBjWxSU&ab_channel=DavidGraham

Archived