Maggot????

Tony

I'm just curious about something...........I noticed that a local fishing shop has fresh maggots in stock......What type of fish could you catch with maggots???

I've never heard of maggots being used as fishing bait.............Thanks in advance for any comments........................🙂

Put them on a tear drop and catch gills . crappie ,ect . Tony  They stink & die easily (turn black) if too cold ....

I caught a nice rainbow at the Port marina over 10 yrs.ago . It hit the maggot/ on a white tear drop on the way down in about 7 fow .  ....need to use light line .  Perch and smelts will hit them too !  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I'm just curious about something...........I noticed that a local fishing shop has fresh maggots in stock......What type of fish could you catch with maggots???

I've never heard of maggots being used as fishing bait.............Thanks in advance for any comments........................🙂

Most times when i go to lake simcoe i prefer to use maggots over minnows....cheaper and miss less hits cause of smaller perch just grabbing the minnow by the head or tail whereever the hook isnt basically....if using a jig with small treble such as forage fry or swim minnow put a maggot on each hook ...on a single hook jig i use 2 maggots

You have to make sure your hooks are thin and sharp, like on a good marmooshka / micro type jig.

Depending on my jig I'll put up to two at a time. Just nicking in in the butt end, not the pointy end.

When we were at Simcoe on Sunday the perch (large and small) were preferring this set up. The perch ignored the minnows and a lot of other presentations (well slab grabber was good for aggressive fish). They wanted true finessing with it constantly quivering when not pausing for bite.

I have seen hundreds of maggots in my garbage pail and green bin in the summer .... wondering if they can be "preserved" for ice fishing .  Maybe they can be frozen in ice cubes ?  Or pickled ?  I have a jar of the plastic maggots that look realistic but  the scent is not the same .....

Mop.....a   I hope you got enough keepers for a good meal !   

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have seen hundreds of maggots in my garbage pail and green bin in the summer .... wondering if they can be "preserved" for ice fishing .  Maybe they can be frozen in ice cubes ?  Or pickled ?  I have a jar of the plastic maggots that look realistic but  the scent is not the same .....

We've gone to bi-weekly pickup for garbage, they are going to be plentiful this summer

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

We were sight fishing in 10 ft from hut rental. No schools coming through, just stragglers. Didn't catch many keepers (for me).  Biggest was 11 inch. Seen one below us that was much bigger, but it didn't look at any baits. Lots of bullheads swimming through picking up chum minnows.

The maggots are typically from those larger "bumble flies".....not sure exact name, but like bottle or blow fly.

15 minutes ago, dave524 said:

We've gone to bi-weekly pickup for garbage, they are going to be plentiful this summer

Same here Dave . We will have to be more vigilant at watching what we toss in the garbage can that will deter those flies mentioned from laying eggs .  But even with a tight top and some insect spray the maggots seem to  appear . I keep the garbage can in the shade in warm weather . The green box can stink badly just from rotting veggies and other dinner scraps .  I pity the sanitation workers who have to deal with all that crap . They do not get paid enough for doing that stinking job !  

When I have fish guts , they get wrapped in newspaper and put into the freezer until garbage day . 

I have a jar of plastic/rubber maggots , bought about 4 years ago ....still flexible in the liquid  which seems to have changed in odour ,...stronger , hard to describe it .(clears the nostrils)   Maybe rig a couple up on a small sharp treble for smelt ? 

The live ones are quite pricey considering I have a 1000 of them in my garbage pail .....

Maybe  this cheap organic" ricemags" will do......

I think the carp would like it .....

Cooked Rice (maggots).jpg

Used to go to Petsmart for them when I would target Crappie. Kept them warm by putting them in my pocket on the inside of my jacket. They work really well.

I have a fishing book that says people in England have used maggots since the 17th century. Never tried them myself (kinda gross) but I bet they would work great for pannies and trout. The berkley power maggots are awesome on steelhead so the real thing is probably even better.

Archived