Dain City Tavern

smerchly

Goodbye to an old landmark ...as a developer is tearing it down and replacing it with ???  I'm not a subscriber to the Standard so I can only read the headline and see a thumbnail picture .  will there be a high rise condo going in there ?   ....

Dain City Tavern.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, RJR said:

Truly an icon being torn down. Back in the 70's it was one of the few bars that you could buy a quart bottle of beer.

I felt the same way Rick about tearing down the Legion at Port Dalhousie ....now looking at them building the 8th story . ...and more to come . Those old buildings had character , and comfort . The new ones seem like windows and walls .

I used to buy a case of beer from the States , 16 oz.bottles !  I could hardly pick it up ......for U.S.  10 bucks !  I think it was Milwaukee beer.  Those were the days .

The property has been purchased by Empire Communities, a developer who is planning to build 2,200 homes in the area, while also investing about $20 million in amenities and improvements for the neighbourhood, including a $2.75-million multi-court sports park, a $6.3-million widening and realignment of Canal Bank Street, $4.3 million into Forks Road, as well as $5 million toward the replacement of the Forks Road Bridge.

There are “no plans” formally drafted for the site after the structure is demolished, said Armstrong, adding a ground-floor restaurant with one or two floors of condos or apartments could be a good fit.

Some quotes from the tribune article.

2200 more homes .....  Who has the bucks these days to buy a new house which will cost about $6 -800,000 ? I can see a lot more huts at D.C. in the future  ....

Is there a good bait & tackle shop anywhere in Welland . I remember John Rasso's and a small one on Main St. .... 

No doubt for investment property. Updated to justify huge rental/leasing fees.

On a side note, I'd love to see a good truck stop again. When ever I pass Victoria Ave/North Service road area, by Prudhommes I see LOTS of trucks there. Such a wasted potenial.The Fifth Wheel in Grimsby is missed. I understand their goals for these locations are overpriced (waterfront) condos.

JR's tackle, what a place. He was on Broadway I believe in Welland before he moved to King Street. If the price wasn't marked on the item he'd pull out the LeBaron's catalogue and that would be the price. His place was absolutely PACKED with stuff!!

59 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

JR's tackle, what a place. He was on Broadway I believe in Welland before he moved to King Street. If the price wasn't marked on the item he'd pull out the LeBaron's catalogue and that would be the price. His place was absolutely PACKED with stuff!!

I only knew of JR's when he was closing up shop and I was able to get good deals on tackle being cleared out.

4 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

In the 70's he used an " Outdoor Stores Catalog " actually the home faced Marshall so that was the address but the store entrance was on St. George

My lawyer , Peter Cormos had an office right next door to J R .  I talked to Peter for an hour about going after another lawyer for bilking me on costs (long story) .Peter gave me advise which I followed , had the lawyer "taxed" and didn't charge me a cent !   I got a detailed cost report .... they even charged for paper clips & every phone call .....needless to say .......then that lawyer became a judge ....whoa  !!!   :o  ....and he's dead now....   ☘️

I remember well JR 's tackle shop on St.Georges St......and there was also a guy who sold bait just past St.George's , on Broadway .  His mother helped with the sales there ....what a nice lady !   

Yes, I remember it as Rasso's Best Value back in the 80's(my memory could be off though). I remember John yelling Ma, Ma! and she'd come out of the house side to help, the old man would be sitting in their kitchen looking out to see what was going on. You'd go in and ask for something and he would dig back through piles of stacked cardboard boxes drag out a seemingly random one, then stick his arm in up to his shoulder and pull out what you were looking out and yes then look in the Labaron catalogue for the price. The only place around you could buy a shotgun, some lures and a loaf of bread! I think one of the last times I was there, he was telling us he was getting a mail order bride. Never a boring place to visit.

6 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

he was getting a mail order bride.

I believe she was from the Philippines ....she helped him at the shop and was very nice to talk to . 

6 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

you could buy a shotgun, some lures and a loaf of bread! 

And  get a nice meal across the road at the Blue Star  !     

Ha !  Those were the days my friends .......    :D

.....Is John Rasso still in the area ? I don't know how old he would be ....

Yes they were. I don't think I was ever in the Dain City Tavern. Wasn't too many bars in the peninsula I didn't hit at least once. Another landmark being lost is the Palmwood in Crystal Beach, that was one of my favourite hunting grounds in my 20's  For better or worse can't stop "progress" or roll back time.

Yes I did see John and his wife Juliet about a couple years ago or so. Still the same ole John , yap, yap, yap..... I haven’t seen him since.  John would be in his high 70s to low 80’s by now.  That place on Broadway was awesome his dad wouldn’t get to involved but his mom would always be at the register.  No prices were stamped on anything, John would yell over to his mom the price which at times would change a couple times.  That place was classic, and had everything you needed. 

1 hour ago, deetch said:

John would be in his high 70s to low 80’s by now.

He's not much older than I  (78) next week .  ...so he's still a pup  (yap yap )  . He loved his business and chatting with his customers ......something that is lost with big business these days .  Sell, sell ,advertise , pay,pay  with that plastic card ..... The small shops have character , good advise and decent prices ,considering they must compete with the big conglomerates who like to destroy the competition or buy them out ....

On 2/27/2021 at 3:23 PM, smerchly said:

.....Is John Rasso still in the area ? I don't know how old he would be ....

He would sometimes go groundhog or jackrabbit shooting with John Horvath and myself in the late 70's, I'm 70 now and John R.I.P. was about 10 years older than me, Johnny Rasso was somewhere in between, I believe.

26 minutes ago, dave524 said:

He would sometimes go groundhog or jackrabbit shooting with John Horvath and myself in the late 70's, I'm 70 now and John R.I.P. was about 10 years older than me, Johnny Rasso was somewhere in between, I believe.

Thanks Dave ..... I worked at GM  with  Ernie Horvath who gave me info for a place in .Ft.Lauderdale  where  he enjoyed vacationing ....he would be in his 80's now.  I  don't recall John Rasso  saying he fished himself ....

• 2 weeks later...

I spent many an hour and many a dollar at Raso's. If I was there and a customer had a question about a gun he'd ask for my input. Much good to be said about sitting in a rod and gun store shooting the breeze. Only thing missing was awood stove and a cheese round to get a slice from.

Anyone remember Pop Whelen and his gun shop? Never saw such a disorganized place in your life but he knew which box and corner had the part you needed. Pop, Gus Schonberger and Elwood Epps all swapped guns and parts around and were among the old time wildcatters in Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the free paper "Niagara this Week" in my mail box each week . I like reading William Thomas columns , great  sense of humour and master of puns ......

He wrote a very informative column last week (  Mar.15 ) and he is very knowledgeable about that area  and drops many names and places .  some of you may have read this already , I thought it was very interesting !  It took me a while to find it on Google ....hope the "copy & paste " works ......

https://www.aroundandabout.ca/village-surrounded-landmark-lost-down-comes-the-dainer/ 

On 3/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, coyotehunter said:

I spent many an hour and many a dollar at Raso's. If I was there and a customer had a question about a gun he'd ask for my input. Much good to be said about sitting in a rod and gun store shooting the breeze. Only thing missing was awood stove and a cheese round to get a slice from.

Anyone remember Pop Whelen and his gun shop? Never saw such a disorganized place in your life but he knew which box and corner had the part you needed. Pop, Gus Schonberger and Elwood Epps all swapped guns and parts around and were among the old time wildcatters in Ontario.

Bought my first shotgun from John Whelan in '65, dad and the Whelans go way back into the 40's. Drank a lot of brown pops with Gus and Dave in his basement in the 70/80's surrounded by milling machines, lathes and drill presses etc. 

calender.jpg

Whelan.jpg

71397342_2477618475608512_8588211631509471232_o.jpg

Love that picture of the speckie  Dave .....I see they spelled Whelan with an "a"  .....

My father used to buy his gas from  Whelan's gas station on St.Paul West at the train bridge ,not sure if spelled the same or related .  

That old store must have been there when we had Russ Mosher's store on St.Paul St. in St.Kitts back in the 50's . I bought a hunting jacket from Russ then and it's still in nice shape and still fits this old bird !  (  made in Canada with a good strong zipper )  !

Still miss the army/navy  surplus stores  .......

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Love that picture of the speckie  Dave .....I see they spelled Whelan with an "a"  .....

My father used to buy his gas from  Whelan's gas station on St.Paul West at the train bridge ,not sure if spelled the same or related .  

That old store must have been there when we had Russ Mosher's store on St.Paul St. in St.Kitts back in the 50's . I bought a hunting jacket from Russ then and it's still in nice shape and still fits this old bird !  (  made in Canada with a good strong zipper )  !

Still miss the army/navy  surplus stores  .......

The army/navy surplus ?? was that Patrick's ? Remember Russ Mosher's in the 60's, never bought much there though , found better deals downstairs at Herzog's. I probably had the same jacket, heavy canvas and made by Wood's I recall , they made a lot of tents.

edit : had matching pants with double fronts for going through the brambles

Archived