1st trip a bust

Tyler0420

Looks like I jumped the gun a lil early this year. Checked 4 spots (3hammy harbor and cdp) 3.5 were frozen over. Last year the harbor was wide open all winter. AFA5CBE3-88B5-433A-B900-C8FAC7A96A93.jpeg
AEBB8098-BF9C-48BF-853E-D774106ABFB5.jpegFD4A43F6-FFBD-42B4-946A-01ECF3E0DB2D.jpeg20905981-3B3B-44C3-BFA1-7D0DF4E3FF6A.jpeg
can’t believe how low Lake Ontario is right now.  Gotta be close to 5’ difference from when it was high 2-3 years ago.  Need a real long handle to fish Lasalle now.  Went and checked  out cdp, some shoreline ice but some open water that can be fished soon. Went for a walk down the beach scouting a spot to fish the lake starting April/may.  Found the carp channel :)

78E14E9A-E0CE-4A49-8BA0-190E0908C9AB.jpeg

5114B270-8D5A-4CED-B4C9-5346C72458C4.jpeg24F67A5C-E6FA-4A97-86BD-CF1C32BFF334.jpeg

Whoa there Tyler !! The carp are still in hibernation there . I agree about the low lake level ...way too low now ...they can't seem to be able to keep it at a normal level . I hope the spring runoff brings it up another 3 feet !  Many fish depend on it ! The water at cdp is way too low !

I was also carp fishing today ....no problem at all with the ice !  I got a bunch of can corn at Wallys yesterday , 57 cents a can for good size corn .  I chummed with a hand full and loaded up my hook with the corn ....but no takers ....just one little dinky perch on the "other" rod......

...my "little" carp rod ....... still 10" of ice there !

carp ice rod.jpg

Our winter has been extremely dry. No heavy rains and no real snow load to fill the tribs.   Farm pond has not refilled from last year's drought.

23 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Our winter has been extremely dry. No heavy rains and no real snow load to fill the tribs.   Farm pond has not refilled from last year's drought.

I hope the other great lakes have more runoff  , seems they got lots of snow this winter but maybe still below average .  The Lake Erie chain ...Gibby , 12 Mile ,Martindale were running high all summer ....something to do with the dams at Cornwall Bruce ?

16 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Found the carp channel

When I was 14 we jumped into that current an took a short ride into the lake . I went out too far & couldn't touch bottom as the current swept me out into the lake . I came so close to drowning there as I ran out of steam trying to get back to shore ....closest I have ever been to losing my life ....still scary thinking about it !  Most of the trees there are gone now , quite barren looking . I wouldn't be surprised to see the berm disappear and the pond become a lake inlet .  I hope the carp come in soon .  Rigging up my new rod today ....   :Gonefishing:

15 channel.PNG

Got my stash ready to go today ....Treated myself to a new carp rod , coil spring rod holder  , telescopic rod/alarm prop ,and of course another alarm .  I used pipe wrap inside the rod holder to keep the rod from scratches etc. and also ground the tip where there's 3 yellow xxx's . which cuts through the dirt better . 

Funny thing ...the picture above taken by Tyler , where I almost bit it  is also the same exact spot where I snagged a carp while tossing a  J-11 for trout !  That was a treat !!   :D

....my stash .....

NEW CARP GEAR.jpg

food stash.jpg

I see your secret weapon now smerch. Turtle wax 🤫

im  stocked up on corn, chick peas and oats.  Working on putting an order together.  Hopefully finalize it tomorrow and have it by Thursday. A couple rods, couple reels and whatever else is looking good. 

hey bigugli you making 4-6oz leads?

22 minutes ago, genec said:

4-6 oz??

you deep ocean fishing Tyler?

Probably Niagara river just below the falls ......or whirlpool ..

I have seen guys using rocks in a bag for weights .....cheap !   

Turtle wax  ....  no longer available ,  decommissioned by peeta   !  

10 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I want to fish the Niagara a bit this year also the st Lawrence has some good current   

When I fish the 12 Mile,  1.5 to 2 oz. will work in the backwash but more lead would be needed in the main current .  

11 hours ago, genec said:

4-6 oz??

you deep ocean fishing Tyler?

You would be amazed at the number of 3-5 oz weights I sell to carper and cat anglers every year.

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

You would be amazed at the number of 3-5 oz weights I sell to carper and cat anglers every year.

Are they powder coated?  Bell, flat, square shaped? Inline?

maybe send me some pics Bruce 

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Are they powder coated?  Bell, flat, square shaped? Inline?

maybe send me some pics Bruce 

I've never had anyone ask for powder coated weights before.

Fished a local pond this evening for an hour after work. Pond is still 95% frozen. No bites but the weather was beautiful and it was nice to be carp fishing again. Tried to set up a bank stick but forgot it’s still winter and the ground is frozen.  Didn’t want to set up my pod for the short session. Can’t wait to get back out

7BAA3EE2-B00E-4DC6-9F9B-F22AF3D59CBC.jpeg

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Getting the itch Ty ....still lots of ice at most spots .

When the fish didn't bite , you can do this , but be careful .......

hermin.PNG

Good thing I shop online for carp gear :) 

spent 1350, gf won’t know till it arrives then it’s too late 😉

I think it will be very soon Tyler , couldn't find the exact date on line .  

1350 ?  Wowzzz   !   Did you buy that bivvy  with 3 bedrooms and a loo ?   :santa:  

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

high winds to blow up the harbor. 

50-60km winds today hopefully there was enough open water to get some waves rolling. 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Did you buy that bivvy  with 3 bedrooms and a loo ?   

No. Bought the bivy last season. Bought 2 rods 2 reels, bobbins, weights, spod and some other odds n ends. 

The wind is really blowing now.....all the snow has vanished !  Hoping to get some good rains to get the creeks flowing and topping up the lakes as normal for spring runoffs .

This video popped up on my you tube page ...very interesting 5 minute shoot about the silver carp down in Kentucky .  (using 3 rods would keep you going steady )   :Gonefishing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkM1LQosFs&ab_channel=KYAfield   

There is no carp in ponds yet, they are staging out in the lake for moving up to spawn.  Unless you are fishing land locked ponds and lakes that have carp year round, its a waist of time....

I would target river mouths right now if you have to fish for them, seen pictures on FB guys carping in tents for carp up in Owen Sound.

Archived