Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 3/11/2021 at 2:29 PM, steelshady said:

There is no carp in ponds yet, they are staging out in the lake for moving up to spawn.  Unless you are fishing land locked ponds and lakes that have carp year round, its a waist of time....

 

I would target river mouths right now if you have to fish for them, seen pictures on FB guys carping in tents for carp up in Owen Sound.

This is a landlocked pond. It drains into the grand river but nothing can get in or out of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest for Carp Enhancement Fishing .....

 

All carp fishing anglers should be aware of the rules so that we can all enjoy the fun . One of the main things to keep in mind is keeping our spots clean .  Some spots are a little tight so there will be less "elbow room" . Using up to 3 rods can use 12 ft. of shore line ......2 anglers ....24ft .....etc etc.  

The latest info I read pretty well covers it all ......if I had a printer I would make some copies .....

 

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/60427/ontario-announces-new-enhancements-to-carp-fishing

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smerchly said:

The latest for Carp Enhancement Fishing .....

 

All carp fishing anglers should be aware of the rules so that we can all enjoy the fun . One of the main things to keep in mind is keeping our spots clean .  Some spots are a little tight so there will be less "elbow room" . Using up to 3 rods can use 12 ft. of shore line ......2 anglers ....24ft .....etc etc.  

The latest info I read pretty well covers it all ......if I had a printer I would make some copies .....

 

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/60427/ontario-announces-new-enhancements-to-carp-fishing

Nice to see the regs changed. Hopefully next they’ll put a limit on them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out this evening for 2 hours mostly just to start baiting the harbor. North shore warms up quicker so it’s a decent early spring spot. 
here’s my spod mix: can corn/creme corn, chick peas, chopped boilies,oats,ground bait. 
 

5EADEC4C-2164-44A1-BEA5-2BE7AC1EE2F3.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks delicious Ty  :rolleyes: ....reminds me of my dogs barf (she likes corn) .....

 

My thermometer read 22*F .  this morning as I watched a few carp vids ....one vid .was from France where everyone was using 2 rods .   Normal temps on the way (+5 to -2 ) ...need to try shallow water first .... There are some spots where it's deep and the carp stay all winter ,  and the banks have steep slopes .....  wonder if the carp will stay deep (30') , or run near the shore ....  

  With 2 -3 rods , it makes it easier to try  10' ...20'....30 '    :Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:   

                                                                                                        :                 :                 :

                                                                                                                           :                 

                                                                                                                                              :   

                                                                                                                    

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple bags of sugar...a big kettle....some twisty copper tubing...fresh water....throw a burner under it for a bit...grab a couple jars...and here we go.....Nfn's first batch of the 2021 season 😏.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the fishing is slow... at least someone will catch something 😏🤪...from some of my experiences on the niagara river early spring the big schools of carp will take advantage of the bait run and gorge on minnows before there is plant growth and snails and such as a forage base....have caught lots bouncing white twisters....if chumming the water in the early season I have also found vanilla to be a good scent....its strong...in the cold water scent disperses slower....and like mentioned...there is not much of a plant based food source until the water starts to warm in shallow areas

Edited by Jwl1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

If the fishing is slow... at least someone will catch something 😏🤪...from some of my experiences on the niagara river early spring the big schools of carp will take advantage of the bait run and gorge on minnows before there is plant growth and snails and such as a forage base....have caught lots bouncing white twisters....if chumming the water in the early season I have also found vanilla to be a good scent....its strong...in the cold water scent disperses slower....and like mentioned...there is not much of a plant based food source until the water starts to warm in shallow areas

I tried the upper on Monday. Sunday it was ice free but Monday was packed with ice and not fishable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried 2 spots at Rennie today ....water very clear , could see some BIG tree stumps extending from shore about 15 ft.....good to know when they not visible . Used 2 rods , one with hair rig/maize & one with puffed corn .....nothing happening yet .   Took a cruise to Jordan ...tall ship parking lot full  , grabbed a coffee at Tim's & went to CDP ....nothing happening  there , water is very lowwwww  . branches sticking out of the water , not a go for carp this year again ....maybe the lake side will be okay , but the lake level is way down as well .....need to cast about 500 yds ...  (drone)  B)

  The low lake level has killed off thousands of zebra mussels at least ..... (photo)

  

Rennie Carp 22-03-22021.jpg

CDP March 22 shallow.jpg

Zebra Mussels CDP.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good scout mission there bill....the nice weather is making people jump the gun a bit..lol..but heck..you dont know if you dont try....and unfortunately sounds like more and more this year some easy access spots are going to be a bit busier....just gotta get up early...claim a spot and watch the sun come up.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went after the pike today at Port  JW  .   Started at a shallow spot where we had a nice talk with the mnr last year ...tossing a 5" husky jerk . Had to pay at the meters  , ($ 1.75 per hr) ...only had a buck in change , gave me 40 minutes ...half of T.O. was there as usual ....  No luck after  many casts . So I went to Rennie and was getting my rod ready when an elderly couple showed up to fish for carp . ...hard to understand their accent as they plunked their asses beside me ... ( 6 rods would cover that 50' wide spot well )  & I said good luck carping and I left to try other spots . 

  I tried to catch that pike you released at Rennie Jack , figured it may be about 10 lbs now  ;) ....There's a fence gate under the water there,  10 ft. from shore & I got hooked up on another line that was wrapped in that gate .....got my lure back with help from my long handled net . ....need to pull that gate out !  

I walked up the bank tossing my H.jerk ....water very clear , many big logs here and there close to shore ....Another  white stripe today .   I'll target pike again just so I can show "Pike Hunter" that the smerch hasn't lost his touch yet .......... maybe the mind is getting a little bidenated .....   :crazy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Went after the pike today at Port  JW  .   Started at a shallow spot where we had a nice talk with the mnr last year ...tossing a 5" husky jerk . Had to pay at the meters  , ($ 1.75 per hr) ...only had a buck in change , gave me 40 minutes ...half of T.O. was there as usual ....  No luck after  many casts . So I went to Rennie and was getting my rod ready when an elderly couple showed up to fish for carp . ...hard to understand their accent as they plunked their asses beside me ... ( 6 rods would cover that 50' wide spot well )  & I said good luck carping and I left to try other spots . 

  I tried to catch that pike you released at Rennie Jack , figured it may be about 10 lbs now  ;) ....There's a fence gate under the water there,  10 ft. from shore & I got hooked up on another line that was wrapped in that gate .....got my lure back with help from my long handled net . ....need to pull that gate out !  

I walked up the bank tossing my H.jerk ....water very clear , many big logs here and there close to shore ....Another  white stripe today .   I'll target pike again just so I can show "Pike Hunter" that the smerch hasn't lost his touch yet .......... maybe the mind is getting a little bidenated .....   :crazy:

smerch where did you fish that there were meters?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

smerch where did you fish that there were meters?

Port is very busy most days and parking is getting rare . Workers need some new place to park as they begin to work on the old Lincoln Fabric site . There's a strip of  18 meters following the old canal at the lights heading north . Many visitors use these meters ,especially on weekends . I fished over the 5' fence in clear water,  4 ft. deep . A long handled net is needed  when fish are in there ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smerchly said:

Went after the pike today at Port  JW  .   Started at a shallow spot where we had a nice talk with the mnr last year ...tossing a 5" husky jerk . Had to pay at the meters  , ($ 1.75 per hr) ...only had a buck in change , gave me 40 minutes ...half of T.O. was there as usual ....  No luck after  many casts . So I went to Rennie and was getting my rod ready when an elderly couple showed up to fish for carp . ...hard to understand their accent as they plunked their asses beside me ... ( 6 rods would cover that 50' wide spot well )  & I said good luck carping and I left to try other spots . 

  I tried to catch that pike you released at Rennie Jack , figured it may be about 10 lbs now  ;) ....There's a fence gate under the water there,  10 ft. from shore & I got hooked up on another line that was wrapped in that gate .....got my lure back with help from my long handled net . ....need to pull that gate out !  

I walked up the bank tossing my H.jerk ....water very clear , many big logs here and there close to shore ....Another  white stripe today .   I'll target pike again just so I can show "Pike Hunter" that the smerch hasn't lost his touch yet .......... maybe the mind is getting a little bidenated .....   :crazy:

Smerch, I will be giving another seminar in the near future, Pike fishing 101. I can try an squeeze you in, just let me know🧑‍🎓

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Smerch, I will be giving another seminar in the near future, Pike fishing 101. I can try an squeeze you in, just let me know🧑‍🎓

How much ?  ...............  or ,    

 

Can we barter a deal ?   I'll  trade my pike cleaning  102   secrets  .....   :)

 

....or get a better deal from Mike Pike    ;)

Edited by smerchly
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...