Jordan Harbour access

Jimmy9_1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, smerchly said:

My house was built in 1955 ....3 bedroom bungalow with hardwood floors & full basement  and lot size 50 x 150 , for $10,000 . I bought it in 1981 for 37,500 ....now worth over 10 times more . It's good for the city coffers tax wise but much more difficult for our young people to buy a house . On the other hand , we can't build new housing fast enough at $700,000 a pop with tiny lots . Lots of people with big bucks out there ....

I agree 100% its way more difficult to buy a house these days if you're a young person, that's why it took me until my thirties to make my first purchase, but the housing markets has really boomed during this pandemic period, its almost surreal.....since my first deposit just under three years ago my property value has already risen 55%, at the time I moved in.... like you said the city coffers who benefit from the inflated house market tax are having a great time, but if your a first time buyer, when a lot of people lost stable jobs and house prices going through the roof its just very hard....I also lucked out on a fantastic mortgage rate 

45 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

I agree 100% its way more difficult to buy a house these days if you're a young person, that's why it took me until my thirties to make my first purchase, but the housing markets has really boomed during this pandemic period, its almost surreal.....since my first deposit just under three years ago my property value has already risen 55%, at the time I moved in.... like you said the city coffers who benefit from the inflated house market tax are having a great time, but if your a first time buyer, when a lot of people lost stable jobs and house prices going through the roof its just very hard....I also lucked out on a fantastic mortgage rate 

At current rate of real estate inflation, the average Canadian, in an urban environment, will no longer be capable of buying a home or even qualifying for a mortgage.

11 hours ago, мормышка said:

Signs at the lower parking spot. There was a wooden barrier, but it look like it was broken down.

IMG_20210319_075136.jpg

IMG_20210319_075145.jpg

I parked there about a month ago ...no signs then . It's sad to see lake front properties being taken away from us  who just want to toss a line and enjoy the  atmosphere . More people are getting interested in angling and getting their kids away from their phones in the basement to enjoy the great outdoors .....and then they do this ? 

Others parked there to take photos of the Grand Hermine or get some sun at the small beach . Is another developer from Toronto going to build a condo there ? More info needed ....

If you park in a designated spot, how could they know why your vehicle is there?   There are no kiosks or parking passes from the hotel.  If you were using the marina which is of course allowed, then you have to park there.  Just don’t fish off the marina break wall and I’m sure you would be fine. Can’t imagine any issues fishing the harbour side or the rocks near the bridge. 

Realistically the issue is the cars taking space and using the parking lot they maintain.  Yes it is a dirt/gravel area, but at the end of the day you access that by driving through their lot.

How far west of the Beacon entrance/exit  do they own ?  As Snags said , it's a dirt parking lot with pot holes and mud when wet . Maybe the town of Lincoln could put another entrance at the left side of the parking lot to give the public some access to that area ?? 

Back in the 50's , hundreds of people would go there to enjoy the beach .....we had it so much better then .......

Beacon Parking.PNG

There is a number on the sign to call the hotel, then call Lincoln to cross check.

I say Lincoln (with Beacon) should make it well known that it is private property with signs/fencing. Just like they did with CDP and all that fencing put in to limit tobbagoning there. Just to end any confusion about what is allowed and what isn't.

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

How far west of the Beacon entrance/exit  do they own ?  As Snags said , it's a dirt parking lot with pot holes and mud when wet . Maybe the town of Lincoln could put another entrance at the left side of the parking lot to give the public some access to that area ?? 

Back in the 50's , hundreds of people would go there to enjoy the beach .....we had it so much better then .......

Beacon Parking.PNG

They don't own any of the dirt parking lot, They only own what they have paved.

Those signs come and go. Today the feeble barrier between signs had been dismantled.Being there everyday for my coffee break I see peeps fishing channel under bridge and on the rocks everyday, just sayin. To be nice the Marina management runs a loose ship, a boat with no tiller , no pun intended.I really can’t see them enforcing anything but boat trailers that don’t pay and even then often no envelope to pay n record your vehicle.NB you can use motorized boats inside the harbour if accessed by Lake O

24 minutes ago, Row dog said:

you can use motorized boats inside the harbour if accessed by Lake O

Since the lake level is low , the harbour will be very shallow ....take it slow as your prop will be skimming bottom .....and beware of wakes as the rowers and kayaks will be there soon .  

To put a burning question(s) to rest.......who actually owns the rock barrier wall constructed to enclose the Beacon marina? Stories/rumours if you wish, told of a government project to aid in developing more recreation facilities similar to what was rumoured about the extension of the outlet to the lake from Forman’s marina. To add to the controversial issue, what is the legality to prohibiting fishing to boats entering from the lake into the Beacon marina? This venue, and Jordan Harbour for a time, were prime spots for a few bass tournaments held around the lake!

I have heard from a few sources that the  Beacon marina and Port Dalhousie marina was done with taxpayers money . Marinas as such bring in big bucks to cities and the "little guy" gets pushed aside . That's "progress" .

Years ago Jordan harbour was a great bass fishery . Boats were launched at Campbell's Marina ( now a conservation park) Over the years silt from farm runoff changed the ecology of the harbour  and the bass gradually became scarce . The water is so shallow now (low lake levels ) that the bass boats props. would be scraping bottom . It would be better to chase after bass on the lake side only .

I refer to Jordan "harbour" as on the south side of the qew .

8 hours ago, GREYHAWK said:

To put a burning question(s) to rest.......who actually owns the rock barrier wall constructed to enclose the Beacon marina? Stories/rumours if you wish, told of a government project to aid in developing more recreation facilities similar to what was rumoured about the extension of the outlet to the lake from Forman’s marina. To add to the controversial issue, what is the legality to prohibiting fishing to boats entering from the lake into the Beacon marina? This venue, and Jordan Harbour for a time, were prime spots for a few bass tournaments held around the lake!

In the early 1990's there was a program for the development and enhancement of the L Ontario waterfront, small harbours, and the waterfront. The result was the creation of numerous marinas, stabilisation of waterfront and parks along the golden horseshoe, and the creation of the waterfront trail (which originally only went as far as Burlington).  The enclosures now known as LaSalle, Beacon, Port Dalhousie, were all built with that money. A lot of work went into Hamilton hrbr and Bayfront park. Ontario Construction did a lot of the marine construction. The company I worked for subcontracted to them on the Beacon, Port, Hammy hrbr and 3 smaller waterfront parks. Kept us busy for 2 years.  Reps from the MNR have torn strips off the Beacon's mgmt in the past.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, A cacher said:

They don't own any of the dirt parking lot, They only own what they have paved.

How do you know this? Do you or can you find something in writing? The marina keeps putting signs up for the dirt part and that is where we park and launch our kayaks. I am sure if it was not part of the marina they would be prohibited from putting the signs up and the Parks would stop them from doing it. I just don’t want to return with my kayak and find no truck. Has anyone actually spoke to the marina firsthand and not “heard” from someone about the dirt side?

3 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

How do you know this? Do you or can you find something in writing? The marina keeps putting signs up for the dirt part and that is where we park and launch our kayaks. I am sure if it was not part of the marina they would be prohibited from putting the signs up and the Parks would stop them from doing it. I just don’t want to return with my kayak and find no truck. Has anyone actually spoke to the marina firsthand and not “heard” from someone about the dirt side?

I put a map up of the area with the land parcels and both the ontario goverment and the town of lincoln GIS systems show that that parking lot is indeed public property .Link to post, 

Right now the marina is just trying to kitty corner the land to try to make their business appearance look better but they are not legally entitled to the land according to those maps. there is vast numbers who go their especially on weekends so the marina will just stop trying to control that land because everyone is ignoring them. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy9_1 said:

Thanks everyone for all the insight into this question. I did get in contact with the mnr which requested a map and photos but I haven't heard back yet after I sent those. 

That's awesome I would love to hear what they say.

The last time I spoke with someone from the marina was in 2017 or 2018 I believe. They asked everyone fishing to remove their cars from the dirt parking lot. They were having issues with the hotel not liking the boat trailers parked in their lot and wanted them parked in the dirt section, which we were told belongs to the marina. I just moved my car over the hotel lot and the marina owner didn't have issues with us continuing fishing.

I'm sure there is some folks here that remember the old Campbells Marina, was before my time but wish I had gotten to enjoy some of the bass fishing I hear so much about before the QEW went in. 

Campells Marina 1975.jpg

I've been using Navigator for years . The  maps go back several years using the scale  I enjoy looking at the old map from 1934  .....amazing how the landscape has changed . Ships came up the 12 Mile right into  downtown St.Catharines and up the old locks into Thorold .  This  1934 map shows our old beach at the Michigan side (east pier) and is now a marina . ....note the old shore line has been filled in and is now marina property (ghost picture) .

added another map ...1934 Jordan ,another great beach , now the Beacon marina .(ghosted)

Pt.Dalhousie 1934.PNG

Joran 1943 map.PNG

4 hours ago, Jimmy9_1 said:

I finally heard back, they suggested to contact the municipality for further information. 

I did go fishing this morning tho, unfortunately came home empty handed but was happy to see my car wasn't towed away.

Lol, so waited for a week just to hear go somewhere else for info, awesome..... does the mnr actually have any power when it comes to enforcing public land access or are they always just going defer these issues to the municipality?

Archived