Suckers

Riley

I didn't see any yesterday when I was out checking on some areas I like to trout watch ... no trout either.

Interested to see if I find another pike in a small creek this year looking for suckers.

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Do you catch them for bait or fertilizer?

Those bony suckers have sweet meat (& lips)  . If the water is clean give them a try .  

When we were teens we would gut them , shove a  green stick through the body & cook them over a fire .

We wrapped one in mud and tossed it over the coals like we did with potatoes ....no fries ....or turf ....

Was your uncle from the east coast Scott ? I worked with a guy (John Glen) from Cape Breton who shared his haddock/potato fish cakes .  I visited his home town Sidney Mines .....We fished Hartley Bay together many times ....great guy he was......

I think he added some chopped onion to those fish cakes .  Yes  , they are delicious ! 

15 hours ago, smerchly said:

Those bony suckers have sweet meat (& lips)  . If the water is clean give them a try .  

When we were teens we would gut them , shove a  green stick through the body & cook them over a fire .

We wrapped one in mud and tossed it over the coals like we did with potatoes ....no fries ....or turf ....

Hmmm, did not know that. I heard of guys using them for muskie bait. I don't think I've ever caught one even worm dunking as a kid.

Back in the 50's the 12 Mile Creek was loaded with white suckers that came through the canal lock at Port Dalhousie . We would use 2 hooks , sinker and worms and catch them 2 at a time .When the  hydro dam was built ,no more suckers or other fish , like eels came into Martindale to the 12 Mile. We still catch red fin (horse) suckers there . (scappers) !

They are just getting here now, walked down a creek i knew would have them and I found 1 upstream and there was a few at the outlet to the lake. Also found a big beaver Dam witch was holding back 3-4 feet of water, Suckers will have a fun time climbing that.image.png

Archived