Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Took out my new peddle drive kayak this morning out of Grimsby.  Many reports of brown trout in shallow.   
 

Trolled spoons and crankbaits 15-20 fow.  Nadda.  
 

Decided to head out to where the boats were at 35 fow.  I couldn’t mark any fish but my crankbait got nailed.   Miss!   20min later another hit on the same rod and this time it to was a very large brown!  Great fight as he kept digging.  The lake water was super clear and as he emerged from 20ft I could see his fatness.  Biggest fish I’ve ever hooked in a kayak. 
 

I brought him boat side but had no net.  He was near 4ft long and no way I was getting him in the boat.  Tried to tail him but he snapped off.  
 

No photo as I didn’t want to lose my phone.  You will have to take my word for it.  
 

Amazing conditions out there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like an exciting outing. Don't worry. all us guys tend to overestimate the size of fish, among other things and underestimate the cost of gear and the number of beer we had when together with f

Didn’t forget my net today!    

Took out my new peddle drive kayak this morning out of Grimsby.  Many reports of brown trout in shallow.      Trolled spoons and crankbaits 15-20 fow.  Nadda.     Decided to head out to

Posted Images

I went 1/3 last week shore casting in grimsby, yes the browns are in and the fishermen have followed

 

Although near 4 feet long you say? I believe the ontario record is around 38 inches long, if you said you had a near 4 footer you're well into record territory my friend, I'd be mighty pissed about that. Congrats on hookin up though, those browns put up a great fight, hopefully you can get a photo op of a giant fish next timed, well done.

 

And I've gotten nothing on my spoons, but my minnowbaits and crankbaits have been gettin bit as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

 My math apparently sucks

Lol .....hope you use a calculator for prescriptions doc . :rolleyes:    

 

There are some big browns out there well over 20 lbs. You probably tied into one ! 

Good luck next time ,  hope you tangle with that brown again .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like an exciting outing. Don't worry. all us guys tend to overestimate the size of fish, among other things and underestimate the cost of gear and the number of beer we had when together with friends, so it all balances out in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Hey I’m looking at the same thing. WhIch kayak did you get? How do you like it?


I went with an OldTown Sportsman 106 PDL.  Its simply awesome.  One revolution of the peddle drive every 3 seconds gets me 2mph!   Very efficient.  Your can peddle for hours and not be tired.   I
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like fun man....and way too far out to do the old beach the rig and pull er up on shore thing...haha......that must have been cool to see come up...browns get some wicked colour patterns on them

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mbocco said:


I went with an OldTown Sportsman 106 PDL.  Its simply awesome.  One revolution of the peddle drive every 3 seconds gets me 2mph!   Very efficient.  Your can peddle for hours and not be tired.   I
 

 

If you take it down a river with shallow spots can you remove the drive system ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Sounds like fun man....and way too far out to do the old beach the rig and pull er up on shore thing...haha......that must have been cool to see come up...browns get some wicked colour patterns on them

 

 


Probably one of the most exciting catches in my life to be honest.  Reminded me of those Florida fishing shows where you can see the fish coming up 30ft down in the super clear water.  Quite a rush.  I can’t wait to get back out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

How’s the 10’? Do you wish you bought the 12’ one instead? I’ll be going out on the Great Lakes with it. 


I previously had an Oldtown Topwater 120 which is 12ft.  I wanted a 10ft vessel with a drive and a rudder.  It’s easier to transport, lighter and tracks better with the rudder.  Of course the peddle drive makes it simple to go forward and backwards instantly.  Both sizes are equally stable.  Nearly untippable.  Is that a word?

 

The drive easily pulls up in shallow water and so does the rudder.  Of course you need a paddle also for those occasions.  
 

The propellers only cost $5 when you break one by hitting ground or rock.  I have a few extra for just such an emergency.  
 

You are welcome to try it out if you wish!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mbocco said:


I went with an OldTown Sportsman 106 PDL.  Its simply awesome.  One revolution of the peddle drive every 3 seconds gets me 2mph!   Very efficient.  Your can peddle for hours and not be tired.   I
 

 

Is this the one you have ?  Nice looking unit and quite pricey !   If I was 50 years younger ........   

 

https://livoutside.ca/rentals/paddle-shop/kayaks-shop/pedal-kayaks/old-town-sportsman-106-pdl-fishing-kayak/

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Is this the one you have ?  Nice looking unit and quite pricey !   If I was 50 years younger ........   

 

https://livoutside.ca/rentals/paddle-shop/kayaks-shop/pedal-kayaks/old-town-sportsman-106-pdl-fishing-kayak/


Yup that’s the one.  I got a slightly better deal on a last in stock 2020. Mine is the orange and black one. 
 

They are expensive but they retain their value fully when it comes time to sell.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks I might just take you up on that offer. 
did you look at the hobie with the mirage Pdl system? Wondering how they compare. 


I looked at the one I bought, the Native Slayer Propel and the cheaper Hobie.  
 

Ultimately I went with the Oldtown because of the warranty, the price, the purchase location and the availability. 
 

Hobie is the top model for sure but costs the most and has to be pre-ordered.  It’s also super heavy which I was trying to avoid.  The mirage drive is very efficient and reliable...just different.  In Lake Ontario and Erie however I think either drive system is great.  If you were going to spend a lot of time in shallow water with weeds then Hobie for sure is better.  You can flutter kick those mirage paddles and keep them close to the kayak hull.  With the PDL you have to raise the drive in those skinny spots.  No biggie though.  Reversing is easier with the PDL.  Simply peddle backwards.  Mirage you have to pull a string to turn the drive around. 
 

Oldtown has a great warranty also.  5yr on the PDL drive and lifetime on the hull.  Great seat too.  
 

Buy something and we can troll the big waters in spring and fall.  Lake Erie in the summers.  It’s safer to have a partner. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll be purchasing one in April.  Hopefully they have stock. One last question, where did you buy yours? 


The closest retailer for me was Fogh Marine in Etobicoke. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mbocco said:


The closest retailer for me was Fogh Marine in Etobicoke. 
 

 

That’s where I got mine. I have the Sportsman 120 PDL. The difference in weight between a 106 and a 120 is very little and I don’t consider that a factor. I load mine in the back of my truck which is a 6’ 5” bed and I don’t need a bed extender. As for stability the 106 is very stable but the 120 is better for the big lakes by far. I also enjoy the extra carrying capacity of the 120 and of course the extra room. I run an electric when trolling all day although the PDL system is easy to maintain trolling speeds without breaking a sweat. The reason for the trolling motor is when running two rods it’s easier to maintain control with a fish on and less tangles. The extra weight capacity handles the weight of a motor and battery with ease. As for shallow water or rivers I have an insert  to block the hole so nothing falls through when I’m  not using the PDL or if I’m running the motor. You can also flip the PDL backwards when you are paddling to get it out of the way for extra room. As mentioned parts are super cheap. I keep an extra prop, shear pins and other parts on board at all times. Make sure you go with the upgraded seat if buying used or if buying new it comes with the improved seat. Any other questions let me know.  If you are wondering the difference between the old Top Water and the new Sportsman the major changes are bigger tank well, handles now modded in the back, a shallow water anchor mount pre drilled, and of course the seat much improved seat with semi risers.

Edited by Steve_Guelph
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve_Guelph said:

That’s where I got mine. I have the Sportsman 120 PDL. The difference in weight between a 106 and a 120 is very little and I don’t consider that a factor. I load mine in the back of my truck which is a 6’ 5” bed and I don’t need a bed extender. As for stability the 106 is very stable but the 120 is better for the big lakes by far. I also enjoy the extra carrying capacity of the 120 and of course the extra room. I run an electric when trolling all day although the PDL system is easy to maintain trolling speeds without breaking a sweat. The reason for the trolling motor is when running two rods it’s easier to maintain control with a fish on and less tangles. The extra weight capacity handles the weight of a motor and battery with ease. As for shallow water or rivers I have an insert  to block the hole so nothing falls through when I’m  not using the PDL or if I’m running the motor. You can also flip the PDL backwards when you are paddling to get it out of the way for extra room. As mentioned parts are super cheap. I keep an extra prop, shear pins and other parts on board at all times. Make sure you go with the upgraded seat if buying used or if buying new it comes with the improved seat. Any other questions let me know.  If you are wondering the difference between the old Top Water and the new Sportsman the major changes are bigger tank well, handles now modded in the back, a shallow water anchor mount pre drilled, and of course the seat much improved seat with semi risers.


Those are all great points. It also illustrates how personal kayak section is.  My first kayak taught me what I liked and disliked.  This new kayak checks all the boxes.  For me sacrificing some capacity for a smaller lighter kayak was actually an intended positive.  This smaller kayak with rudder tracks way better than my longer one without rudder. 
 

I also bring very little with me.  2 rods, fishfinder, tiny lithium battery, pliers, one Plano, some leader material, and from now on... A NET!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mbocco said:


Those are all great points. It also illustrates how personal kayak section is.  My first kayak taught me what I liked and disliked.  This new kayak checks all the boxes.  For me sacrificing some capacity for a smaller lighter kayak was actually an intended positive.  This smaller kayak with rudder tracks way better than my longer one without rudder. 
 

I also bring very little with me.  2 rods, fishfinder, tiny lithium battery, pliers, one Plano, some leader material, and from now on... A NET!!

You are so correct. A rudder is an absolute necessity unless you are running rivers in White water. Pretty soon the crappies will be running and we should get out catch a few and maybe enjoy a shore lunch.

 

Tyler hurry up and get a kayak so you can join us. I am on the water at least three days a week from now until the ice stops me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, Mbocco said:

Took out my new peddle drive kayak this morning out of Grimsby.  Many reports of brown trout in shallow.   
 

Trolled spoons and crankbaits 15-20 fow.  Nadda.  
 

Decided to head out to where the boats were at 35 fow.  I couldn’t mark any fish but my crankbait got nailed.   Miss!   20min later another hit on the same rod and this time it to was a very large brown!  Great fight as he kept digging.  The lake water was super clear and as he emerged from 20ft I could see his fatness.  Biggest fish I’ve ever hooked in a kayak. 
 

I brought him boat side but had no net.  He was near 4ft long and no way I was getting him in the boat.  Tried to tail him but he snapped off.  
 

No photo as I didn’t want to lose my phone.  You will have to take my word for it.  
 

Amazing conditions out there. 

Are you launching from Forty Mile Creek Park or Nelles Beach?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mbocco said:


Forans or 40 Mile creek.  I might do Jordan next. 

I park on the dirt section beside the marina when I go to Jordan but I don’t want to get towed while I’m out trolling. Not sure if I can park there anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...