Trolling Lake O

Mbocco

5 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I park on the dirt section beside the marina when I go to Jordan but I don’t want to get towed while I’m out trolling. Not sure if I can park there anymore. 

I don’t think anyone monitors any parking there but I have considered paying the $5 launch fee for piece of mind. 

10 minutes ago, Dutchie said:

I got out Sunday afternoon for a couple hours, launched my boat in Port Dalhousie, had 3 hits but only caught 1, was about an 18 Pound Brown great fight. I caught it in 40 FOW, down 22FT. between Port Dalhousie and the Beacon

That's a real nice brown !   Might be related to Mbocco's brown  he hooked there ......B)

5 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I don’t think anyone monitors any parking there but I have considered paying the $5 launch fee for piece of mind. 

Here's a thread from 2019  about that area ,,,,,canoe fee at the Beacon ramp only  $3 .

https://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/topic/36566-beacon/?tab=comments#comment-290998

I believe the sign now reads $5 for kayaks.  But there’s just a lock box with envelopes.  I assume you put money in the envelope, and write your licence plate on the outside.  I didnt see a person when I went down to check it out. Maybe in the summer there will be a human in that dilapidated hut. 

56 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I believe the sign now reads $5 for kayaks.  But there’s just a lock box with envelopes.  I assume you put money in the envelope, and write your licence plate on the outside.  I didnt see a person when I went down to check it out. Maybe in the summer there will be a human in that dilapidated hut. 

Actually $5 is nothing for parking and the ease of launching from the ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

I like flicker shads and flicker minnows.  They are cheap, and they dive easier than a spoon. You can always tell that they are working by looking at your rod tip. 

I have tried spoons but in the depth required to catch lakers you would need additional weight.  No downrigger on my vessel.  I do have snap weights which I did not use today. 

I brought 6 lures out today.  That’s it.  If they didn’t work then it was going to be a day out exercising.  Minimizing your tackle box does help you really master that lure. 

Nice markings on the laker , and great looking yak !!  It's a great way to fish ....enjoying the fresh air and getting in some leg exercise ,then some more for the arms when you get lucky .  Am I the only one who likes to use a floating crank bait like a Husky Jerk or Rapala on a 3 way rig ?  I like to drift them with a good chop on the water and use a weight accordingly to just skip over bottom . I also watch the tip of the rod to make sure the lure is working properly .

That surely would also work.  The flickers run 20ft down.  A snap weight 50ft back with the lure another 100ft back adds another 20ft depending on weight size.  A 3 way could work but with the snap weight I can run a longer fluoro leader and remove it when a fish is on so I can reel the fish all the way to the net.  The 3 way is not in the way.  

Well off I went again today.  This time I brought my 12yo.  We sat back to back on the kayak.  I set up a milk crate with a cushion for him.  One rod each.  

It was difficult today, partly because of the extra weight and also the strong wind and waves out there.  We were stable but it was tough to maintain speed. 

I managed to hook up to a nice laker though.  I handed my boy the rod and tried to talk him through it.  He was doing pretty well until the fish got near the boat and did a predictable dig.  I warned him that was about to happen and told him to loosen the drag.  Well he tightened it....like to the max. LOL.  You can guess what happened next!

Lesson learned I imagine.   

20 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Well off I went again today.  This time I brought my 12yo.  We sat back to back on the kayak.  I set up a milk crate with a cushion for him.  One rod each.  

It was difficult today, partly because of the extra weight and also the strong wind and waves out there.  We were stable but it was tough to maintain speed. 

I managed to hook up to a nice laker though.  I handed my boy the rod and tried to talk him through it.  He was doing pretty well until the fish got near the boat and did a predictable dig.  I warned him that was about to happen and told him to loosen the drag.  Well he tightened it....like to the max. LOL.  You can guess what happened next!

Still priceless time with your son that neither of you will forget. Fish or no fish. 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

At 12 years old I would have my son pedal and dad relax and enjoy the ride. So many Lakers are being caught right now. My son is 31 and just over 6 feet now but if he was smaller I would feel very comfortable taking him on the back of the Sportsman PDL.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

At 12 years old I would have my son pedal and dad relax and enjoy the ride. So many Lakers are being caught right now. My son is 31 and just over 6 feet now but if he was smaller I would feel very comfortable taking him on the back of the Sportsman PDL.

Totally safe.  And you are right....I should have made him peddle.  But I got the better seat!  😉

Damn you took your kid out on your kayak? That’s awesome shows how much you trust it. I seen a guy with the 120 I wanted to talk to but he was busy talking to some guy that wouldn’t “zip it”  so I continued walking. I’m getting very close to getting one. Got the cash just waiting for stock to show up. 

41 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Damn you took your kid out on your kayak? That’s awesome shows how much you trust it. I seen a guy with the 120 I wanted to talk to but he was busy talking to some guy that wouldn’t “zip it”  so I continued walking. I’m getting very close to getting one. Got the cash just waiting for stock to show up. 

You will love it. The freedom to fish almost anywhere and the ease of launching makes the PDL a great choice. I am heading out Friday for crappie and if that’s slow I will change over to perch. I still need to get out for some cats in Jordan harbour one day soon.

7 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

You will love it. The freedom to fish almost anywhere and the ease of launching makes the PDL a great choice. I am heading out Friday for crappie and if that’s slow I will change over to perch. I still need to get out for some cats in Jordan harbour one day soon.

If you want company let me know.  I can only ever find small cats in there, though usually I’m late to that party.  As the lake trout move out soon the salmon will move in.  Once done with that I seem to miss the cats. 

55 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I actually considered throwing him over.  

49 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

If you want company let me know.  I can only ever find small cats in there, though usually I’m late to that party.  As the lake trout move out soon the salmon will move in.  Once done with that I seem to miss the cats. 

When the salmon come in we should get together. If I hit the cats again I will let you know for sure.